Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/18/2018, 12:52 PM   #1
amberly_pena
Registered Member

Transferring to new aquarium

So on sunday we woke up to our biocube gushing water. Our parameters were good water wasnt to high, it was where it should of been so not sure why it happened. Anyway we ordered a new aquarium JBJ rimless 30 that will be here Friday. I kept all the water from our old aquarium to transfer into the new one and the sand as well. We have a pair of nemos and a coral beauty.. is there anything I need to know about transferring to new aquarium? Would we be able to put new sand ? Or do would it be better to just stay with the old sand ? Please help !

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

amberly_pena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2018, 02:00 PM   #2
thegrun
Registered Member

If your old tank was up for more than 6 months I would not reuse the old sand, I will have enough detritus in it to cause problems. Instead I would use new dry sand washed well to remove the fines (dust).

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2018, 02:03 PM   #3
amberly_pena
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrun View Post
If your old tank was up for more than 6 months I would not reuse the old sand, I will have enough detritus in it to cause problems. Instead I would use new dry sand washed well to remove the fines (dust).
Ok I will do that. I wanted to get new sand anyway but wasnt sure if it was a good idea. I barely got my tank on the 22nd of March.. so only 4 months.

Unread 07/18/2018, 02:50 PM   #4
thegrun
Registered Member

Since the tank was only a few months old you can reuse your old sand if you want to, simple wash it well in saltwater to get out, as much detritus as possible, but it's a perfect opportunity to replace your old sand if you wanted to anyways.

Unread 07/18/2018, 02:52 PM   #5
amberly_pena
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrun View Post
Since the tank was only a few months old you can reuse your old sand if you want to, simple wash it well in saltwater to get out, as much detritus as possible, but it's a perfect opportunity to replace your old sand if you wanted to anyways.
Ok great. Do you think I'll have a spike in ammonia ? Or in my parameters in general? Since it's a new tank ?

Unread 07/18/2018, 05:24 PM   #6
thegrun
Registered Member

If you have kept all your live rock in water the bacteria on it will process any ammonia the fish and food produce.