Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/08/2015, 11:07 PM   #1
iliriano6
Registered Member

led driver is pulsing.

hey community,

my led driver is an ebay driver. got it some time ago. I put some led on it, red and blue for and algea scrubber. they led unit is pulsing so I though that I may a mistake with the connection, but i didn't went over and over....everything look ok, but its pulsing after 30sec to maybe 40sec of it being on.

will post a link to youtube vid, thks for the help...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6alAbeIqcE

this is the driver

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-18X3W-AC-...item35d9535906

iliriano6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2015, 11:36 PM   #2
Gorgok
Registered Member

It looks like its hunting for a stable voltage, but can't find one. I'd say you are under the minimum voltage the drive can handle (36V based on sticker). I count 14 LEDs, with many being reds you are probably really close to 36V, but under it. If you have any extra LEDs, you could add some to the string to test if that does indeed fix it.

Gorgok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2015, 12:20 AM   #3
iliriano6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgok View Post
It looks like its hunting for a stable voltage, but can't find one. I'd say you are under the minimum voltage the drive can handle (36V based on sticker). I count 14 LEDs, with many being reds you are probably really close to 36V, but under it. If you have any extra LEDs, you could add some to the string to test if that does indeed fix it.
so your saying to add more led,? do you think that the red are not 3w.? if so how many more would you think, oh i also have 4 royal blue in there.

Unread 01/09/2015, 12:51 AM   #4
Gorgok
Registered Member

They get called 3W because that makes it easiest to sell them. The actual wattage of any LED can vary greatly, by brand, model, color, etc.

One particular red i know of has 2.5V @ 700mA as its stats. This makes its actual wattage 1.75W, while still usually called a '3W' LED.

At 680mA that number will be a hair less, and the blues will probably also be down some, so you are probably just skirting 36V. A LED or two would probably take it over that, make it stop hunting, if that is indeed what its doing. No dimming on that or any other signal required so that is really the most likely issue still i think.

Gorgok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2015, 12:58 AM   #5
iliriano6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgok View Post
They get called 3W because that makes it easiest to sell them. The actual wattage of any LED can vary greatly, by brand, model, color, etc.

One particular red i know of has 2.5V @ 700mA as its stats. This makes its actual wattage 1.75W, while still usually called a '3W' LED.

At 680mA that number will be a hair less, and the blues will probably also be down some, so you are probably just skirting 36V. A LED or two would probably take it over that, make it stop hunting, if that is indeed what its doing. No dimming on that or any other signal required so that is really the most likely issue still i think.
thank you for the reply added two more led to balance out the royal and it not hunting for a voltage any more thanks dude, now i just waiting for a bikt more to see what hapends, but again thks