Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/05/2011, 09:24 AM   #226
doublenerds
Registered Member

Hi all, saltwater newbie here and I am doing lots of reading and research before starting up a 75 gallon FOWLR with reef aspirations this summer.

I just wanted to comment on two of the stores mentioned in this thread. My experience thus far has been freshwater only:

Aqua Hut staff is terrific! They are always willing to answer questions and the fish I have purchased from them have been healthy and well priced.

I made my first visit to Country Critters the other day after hearing about how spectacular some of their display tanks are. I was all excited when I saw they had 6 tanks of apistogramma sp. pairs, as I have had some serious trouble finding a local vendor for these fw fish. The fish were in upper tanks so I had to climb on a stepladder to view them. Of the 6 tanks, THREE of them contained dead fish, and condition of the fish in the other 3 tanks was pretty dodgy. The salesperson hardly glanced at the dead fish but did continue to try to sell me one of the sad-sack pairs that were still alive. NOT an impressive visit.

doublenerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2011, 05:05 PM   #227
bo0sted2g
Registered Member

Contrary to the above Ive been to country critter multiple times and they went over the top to help me get what I needed/wanted

so far I have only purchased equipment from there as my tank isnt ready for fish yet but from my experience CC is a good place

bo0sted2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2011, 06:05 PM   #228
cm11599ps
Registered Member

For what it's worth, my wife and I went there a few weeks ago to check things out. We ended up only getting some dog treats but the two women behind the counter barely gave us the time of day as they were talking to each other. We didn't get a "Hi, how are you?" or a "Thanks, have a good day."

Those things go a long way in my book.

Current Tank - 55 gallon. Custom CLF1 sump, fuge, overflow & SVS2-24 skimmer from Lifereef. 4x54 Watt AquaticLife T5 HO Light Fixture W/ 4 Lunar LEDs. 2 EcoTech MP40's, 70lbs assorted
cm11599ps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2011, 10:00 PM   #229
Fishope
Registered Member

I'm very surprised that you guys had a bad experience at country critters. I have been going for most of my fish tank needs and although sometimes on a busy day the girls upfront are short..generally they are pleasant. I can't speak for the FW but the saltwater/reef always look incredible. Can't wait to stock my tank!

Fishope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2011, 10:03 PM   #230
Fishope
Registered Member

Wink Aquahuts phone#

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm11599ps View Post
(631)732-3620

Is that the number you tried? That's what I have stored on my phone. I'm pretty sure I called them about 1.5 years ago and got an answer.

Last edited by Fishope; 06/05/2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Nvm
Fishope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2011, 05:02 PM   #231
CaptiveReef
LED FULL SPECTRUM REEFER

New Aquarium Opening up in Bay Shore !!

Hello Everybody,

There is a new Aquarium opening in BayShore on the south service rd about 1000ft east of Mavis Tire in a small strip of stores. Does anybody know who it is? The other store next store to them say's they are into saltwater! Suppose to be opening soon.

Greg, CaptiveReef

Current Tank Info: 120 Reef, DIY 5ft. protein skimmer, LED lighting.
CaptiveReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2011, 12:50 AM   #232
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

That's BTJ's. They're moving from the temporary store where they are now, to the new spot a few hundred feet west.

Dunder Mifflin

Current Tank Info: Unknown slow drip, over 20 years damaged my house and heating system. No more tank.
DgenR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2011, 07:17 AM   #233
CaptiveReef
LED FULL SPECTRUM REEFER

New Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by DgenR8 View Post
That's BTJ's. They're moving from the temporary store where they are now, to the new spot a few hundred feet west.
Ok, Thank's Larry.

Unread 08/15/2011, 12:26 PM   #234
Monkeyfish
Registered Member

BTJ's went from being a decent place to a disaster. They used to have good deals before the "fire," but definitely know what you're doing as they sure didn't.

"One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not."

Current Tank Info: Taking a break
Monkeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2011, 01:16 PM   #235
Tyler10121012
Registered Member

wish aquarium adventure was still around...now its pet ware house....they are ok...but dont specialize in fish

Tyler10121012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2011, 02:56 PM   #236
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyfish View Post
BTJ's went from being a decent place to a disaster. They used to have good deals before the "fire," but definitely know what you're doing as they sure didn't.
I don't remember a time that they were known for good advice. I've only been in the place once, maybe twice since the fire. I don't think I was overly impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler10121012 View Post
wish aquarium adventure was still around...now its pet ware house....they are ok...but dont specialize in fish
I don't know how to respond to that. They were way overpriced, and while Pet's Warehouse isn't going to get fish that you can't find anywhere, at least they won't try to sell you a $75.00 fire fish.

Dunder Mifflin

Current Tank Info: Unknown slow drip, over 20 years damaged my house and heating system. No more tank.
Unread 12/27/2011, 02:24 AM   #237
hhaase
Registered Member

Actually, I'm not sure he's referring to BTJ's new location. Isn't BTJ's just moving like 3 buildings west, but still pretty much across the street from their original location?

This place is a few miles east of there. It's by Brentwood Road, across from South Shore Mall, the sign is yellow letters that just says "Aquarium". I was actually just in there today, but couldn't for the life of me tell you what the name of the place is. They are open, but half their tank racks are still empty, and not much livestock yet particularly corals.

I do get the feeling that it is somebody that's relocated though, if any place with a 30 year old tortoise on display rings a bell.

-Hans

Current Tank Info: Slowly stocking up 150 gallons, only a little livestock right now.
hhaase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2011, 05:09 AM   #238
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

You're right, it's not BTJ's. BTJ's is moving a few feet west, but the new store is different. I've heard that the new store is owned by Dominick that was most recently located in a store at the south end of RT 110. Before that, he was on Sunrise Hwy in Massapequa Park, and in Freeport 18 or 20 years ago.

Dunder Mifflin

Unread 12/27/2011, 08:08 AM   #239
fishome25
Registered Member

Thats right larry. This does look the nicest out of all of his stores so far. his last one was on montauk hwy in babylon. at the end of 231 I believe.

fishome25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2011, 11:32 AM   #240
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

t 110

Dunder Mifflin

Unread 12/27/2011, 12:39 PM   #241
CaptiveReef
LED FULL SPECTRUM REEFER

It's Dominick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishome25 View Post
Thats right larry. This does look the nicest out of all of his stores so far. his last one was on montauk hwy in babylon. at the end of 231 I believe.
Yes it's Dominick in Bay Shore on the south service rd of Sunrise in the shopping center with the Chiropractor, he had a store in Oceanside, Massapequa Park, and at the end of route 231 next to the paint place.
This is his nicest store.
BTJ has now acquired the old Pet Circus building that was a medical supply store that is 2 stores down from their recent location.

Unread 02/24/2012, 07:50 AM   #242
MHG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptiveReef View Post
Hello Everybody,

There is a new Aquarium opening in BayShore on the south service rd about 1000ft east of Mavis Tire in a small strip of stores. Does anybody know who it is? The other store next store to them say's they are into saltwater! Suppose to be opening soon.

Greg, CaptiveReef
That os the guy who was on the bottom of 231. caribbean Aquatics...

BTJ's moved bought the place next door to where they were renting...

Unread 03/01/2012, 07:29 AM   #243
quagmire
Registered Member

Anyone know if this is the correct address for Aquarium Design Network?
Been down that road a dozen times in past years and never saw the store.
296 East Jericho Tpke
Huntington Station, NY 11746

quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2012, 07:34 AM   #244
MHG
Registered Member

I think thats it. It is a two story blue building on the right (when heading east from route 110).

Unread 03/01/2012, 07:54 AM   #245
quagmire
Registered Member

Thank you.

quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2012, 03:02 PM   #246
qy7400
Registered Member

Going west, blue building on the left after the 7-11.

Current Tank Info: 380G now with water and fish
qy7400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2012, 07:10 PM   #247
lchaleff
Registered Member

You guys should check out Absolutely Fish in Clifton NJ, not a far ride and by far the best place I have visited....only thig is they are full full retail...but incredibly knowledgeable and over the top in helping and assisting....

lchaleff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2012, 07:50 PM   #248
E.intheC
Registered Member

What about Caribbean Blue Aquatics in Bayshore? Ive never been but I just heard about it today....

Unread 03/25/2012, 08:33 PM   #249
MattyO
Registered Member

Was at mutts and butts today a little after noon... Only one guy doing fish, soooo many people, tanks were full of algae with one so bad I couldn't see in! At least half a dozen fish dead with more dying, doesn't look like they have gotten corals in for a few weeks, and the fish were very limited also (tho most were scratching like from ick) The guy dropped a little kids fresh water fish in the garbage and couldn't find it.

Last time I was in, I was trying to talk to the "new fish manager" Pierre and he walked away to talk to some friends. This was after I bought a bunch of high end stuff for my new 90. I am really disgusted and hope they turn it around cause I'm almost ready not to go there anymore.

Unread 03/25/2012, 08:34 PM   #250
MattyO
Registered Member

Ooo I also walked out and went elsewhere for my 10 snails (which they prob didn't have either)