Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/20/2017, 07:46 PM   #1
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

Trouble programming new Tunze 6150 with Apex

Hi Roger,

I'm having trouble running Tunze 6150's at a low speed or simply turning off while connected to an Apex. They do not turn off when switched to "off" on the Apex. They keep trying to start up and then fail. I tried to run them at 5% on the Apex and I get the same result. They don't want to stop and they don't want to run slow. I tried to calibrate them to the Apex but that didn't seem to do anything. I tried calibrating while the Apex was set to 5%, then 30%. They seem to only want to go fast. I'm trying to get them to alternate on and off every 6 hours to change direction in the tank. Is there anything special I need to do to make them work with the Apex? Do I need to ditch the Apex and use a Tunze controller?

Mr. Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 08:50 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I suspect the issue might be the control voltage, all of our pumps made since 2015 use a control signal of 0-6.5V, prior to this it was 0-8V, likely for this reason the percentages on the Apex are not accurate. The Stream 3 is not designed to turn on and off, 5%-100% is the range. The reason is that from a dead stop a start up program has to run to levitate the magnetic rotor, this takes time, at 5% there is virtually no flow, you can see the propeller barely spin it just maintains the levitation. I would try 10% on the Apex and see the result and slowly bump that up in 5% increments until the pump runs at a slow turn, at 5% the prop is not a blur you can see it clearly just barely turning, likely a higher speed on the Apex matches the 5% on the controller.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2017, 11:49 PM   #3
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

Looks like the minimum is 40%. They won't start at 39%. I'm still having difficulty with one of the pumps and I think I may have figured out what's wrong. Could the placement of a 6150 close to another magnetic powerhead potentially cause issues? It's sitting really close to a 6105. I'm wondering if the magnetic field is throwing the balance off at low speed. I'm going to move the 6105 out of the way and see if it helps.

Unread 03/23/2017, 08:38 AM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Yes, this is possible, the Stream 3 works by magnetic levitation and requires a very strong magnetic field that is not disrupted to accomplish this. A strong magnet nearby can induce a wobble.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 03/23/2017, 02:35 PM   #5
rvitko
RC Sponsor

BTW, at 40% is the pump just a crawl, does it match the lowest speed setting of the built in controller if you disconnected the Apex?

Unread 03/23/2017, 04:25 PM   #6
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

40% matches the lowest speed of the pump when controlled by the built-in Tunze controller. However, I wouldn't call it a crawl. In fact I have to turn the dial on the Tunze controller up to about 20% - 25% to get the pumps to start. They will not turn at the lowest dial setting. I cannot see the blades as they're turning at the lowest speed I can run them at (20% - 25% on the dial). I'm thinking their proximity to one another may be messing them up. They're spaced about 4.5" away from each other. Positioned horizontally, one above the other.

Unread 03/23/2017, 06:11 PM   #7
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

I just realized that the dial says 20% at its lowest point. So I would guess that 40% is the lowest I can go when using the Tunze controller as well.

Unread 03/23/2017, 06:14 PM   #8
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

Update: I moved the pumps further away from each other and I am now able to reduce the speed lower than before. I still can't bring it down to zero on the dial but I'm closer than before. Nearby magnets really affect these pumps at slow speed.

Unread 03/23/2017, 06:36 PM   #9
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

New update! I found the culprit, the magnets holding the pump in place outside the tank need to be perfectly aligned to get rid of the wobble and get it to turn at the lowest speed. I'm successfully running one pump at the lowest speed.

Unread 03/23/2017, 06:52 PM   #10
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

Ok, I've got these things balanced, I've removed the cover screens and I am in love with these pumps. WOW. Awesome product, knocked it out of the park on this one!!

Unread 03/24/2017, 08:22 AM   #11
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Thank you! Yes, one of the technical hurdles was magnetic mounting with the magnetic levitation pump, that is why the magnet holders are not just one very strong magnet.

Unread 04/15/2017, 11:30 AM   #12
805reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
Ok, I've got these things balanced, I've removed the cover screens and I am in love with these pumps. WOW. Awesome product, knocked it out of the park on this one!!
Sorry to threadjack, but just curious how you like the pump? I am thinking of getting one for my tank

300 gallon peninsula, return:RD3 Speedy 230, Turbo's Rev4 L2 Algae Turf Scrubber, (2) Gyre 150s, Advanced Acrylic sump, (4) Ocean Revive T247s, Apex (classic w/ black sticker;):D)
805reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2017, 02:19 PM   #13
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

Trouble programming new Tunze 6150 with Apex

Freaking love this pump. I have a horizontal gyre going in the tank. So cool watching fish swim in the current. It's very powerful with the cover screen removed (side cover is still in place). I've used previous model Tunzes and vortechs. This pump is in its own class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 04/15/2017, 04:08 PM   #14
805reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Freaking love this pump. I have a horizontal gyre going in the tank. So cool watching fish swim in the current. It's very powerful with the cover screen removed (side cover is still in place). I've used previous model Tunzes and vortechs. This pump is in its own class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome! I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one. What size tank are you running it on?

300 gallon peninsula, return:RD3 Speedy 230, Turbo's Rev4 L2 Algae Turf Scrubber, (2) Gyre 150s, Advanced Acrylic sump, (4) Ocean Revive T247s, Apex (classic w/ black sticker;):D)
805reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2019, 11:08 PM   #15
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
New update! I found the culprit, the magnets holding the pump in place outside the tank need to be perfectly aligned to get rid of the wobble and get it to turn at the lowest speed. I'm successfully running one pump at the lowest speed.
How are you controlling them with your Apex? I've been unable to get them to work. I have two Stream 3s connected to vs3/vs4. My apex will turn the pumps on and off but I cannot control the variable speed at all.

Current Tank Info: Me v Dinos - I'm winning for now...
Zalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2019, 06:42 PM   #16
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalick View Post
How are you controlling them with your Apex? I've been unable to get them to work. I have two Stream 3s connected to vs3/vs4. My apex will turn the pumps on and off but I cannot control the variable speed at all.
I just have them set to turn on and off.