Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/20/2019, 11:11 AM   #1
Rybren
Registered Member

Tunze 9410 impeller seized

I have two 9410 skimmers. On one, the impeller magnet split. I was able to remove the impeller and replace it without issue.

On the other skimmer, I suspect that the impeller magnet split as well; however, it is seized in the motor and I am unable to remove it.

Do you have any advice on how to remove the impeller or am I stuck replacing the entire pump?

BTW, I love the skimmer, but I hate the impellers.

Thanks

Unread 01/21/2019, 10:08 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The new impellers are a ferrite magnet, not coated, and that will eliminate this from happening again. I generally first try to remove the cooling duct, that will give you some space to work, this is the grey duct on the side of the impeller. If you can get that out, you can then carefully try to pry and chip away at the rotor. Often though, if the pump had power for a couple days while seized, the coil has also swollen and the motor is a lost cause and that is often why it is so difficult to remove. If you have a watt meter, it could be a good test before putting any further work into it, to see if the motor even still takes power, this isn't definitive but if you see zero watts, it is not worth the effort.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2019, 04:58 PM   #3
Rybren
Registered Member

Thanks for the tips Roger. I can only get the cooling duct about a third of the way out. It's not enough to make a difference.

I don't have a watt meter. If I could get the impeller out then I'd swap the one from the working skimmer to see if it runs before buying a replacement.

Unread 01/22/2019, 09:15 AM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

You could try a hot water soak, it may be enough to loosen it. In the past I have drilled them out but I am very reluctant to recommend it and probably would not do it again. The magnet material is very, very hard, you have to step up in 1/16" increments and expect the drill bits will be ruined and if one breaks off, you are pretty much done as the hardened tool steel is even harder than the magnet. If all goes right you eventually get it so thin and broken up you can chip out all the pieces with an old screwdriver.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2019, 04:00 PM   #5
Rybren
Registered Member

Thanks. Will try the hot water soak before drilling.