Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/26/2017, 05:25 PM   #1
CritterC
Registered Member

Algae Id Please

Video Here
https://goo.gl/photos/AVYtYB4q6jxDsNnB7

Tried everything to eliminate this stuff. Its in a multitank system and only grows in the tanks with heavier lighting but by no means extremely high lighting. Will die off in a blackout after a week or so but quickly comes back even in when I've stripped the tank of everything except the glass. Tried emptying the tank, bleaching it out, refilling and it still grows back. Now its started up in another tank. I've seen it before and dialed down the issue to a RO Water storage holding tank that had previously been used for pickling. After switching that reservoir the algae went away. However, I can't find a similar issue in this system. Have tried wet skim, aggressive GFO, clean clean clean, extreme light in the refugium, sucking it out week after week. I can even pull out a tray covered in the stuff, put it in a different tank on the system with the exact same water and the algae dies off in a week or two. Flow and light is similar between the tanks. Have had the problem in one out of 10 of my tanks and its just started up in another tank so I'm feeling the need to figure it out.

CritterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2017, 03:42 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

maybe Valonia aegagropila

What are your nitrate and phosphate readings?

Unread 07/03/2017, 03:53 PM   #3
CritterC
Registered Member

Definitely not Valonia. Phosphate tests anywhere from 0-.08. Seems like it can go back and forth on a daily basis and nitrate at 0. I'm not sure exactly where the phosphates come from as I add very little food to the system.

CritterC is offline   Reply With Quote