Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/18/2017, 10:59 AM   #26
rayjay
Registered Member

If we were still talking seahorses, likely no as usually it's a water quality issue for the seahorses. With Tangs, I don't know as I never experienced it in the 20 years I kept many different Tangs, but again, I doubt it.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 05:44 AM   #27
JudKay
Registered Member

I have a male with GBS, his tail has bubbles, I put him in a sick tank, but have to wait 10 days for the diamox, it is killing me to see him sick, his tail floats so its hard for him to get around, yesterday was the first day he would not take his food, he is also would stay by himself, as I have 5 others, staying up on the fan, I dont want to lose him, we did go a while without a water change during Irma, when it hit and had no power for 2 weeks, but the rest is fine, I need and want to help him its frustrating and painful to watch him Please does anyone know of anything over the counter I can use

JudKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 09:38 AM   #28
rayjay
Registered Member

For this seahorse, I'd suggest doing 50% water changes daily, and, be sure to use heavy aeration with open ended airline not airstones.
For buoyancy issues you will have to evacuate the pouch.
https://fusedjaw.com/diseasehealth/s...ch-evacuation/
After the evacuation you may also flush the pouch with a syringe using new salt water at the same temp and pH the hospital tank is at.
If you have access to Furan II and or tri-sulpha, I would also use that according to the instructions given on the package. It may not work but at this point I prefer to try whatever I can.
For not eating, I'd buy some appropriately sized shrimp, likely freshwater type is all you can get, but usually they live long enough for the seahorse to take and interest and ingest if it can. Keep the shrimp separate and just add one or two at a time.
Lastly I'd recommend doing a LARGE water change with an extreme cleaning of any trapped detritus and uneaten food from the display tank, followed with another LARGE water change a couple of days later. This may help the others from coming down with the same problem.

Unread 10/24/2017, 08:23 PM   #29
rayjay
Registered Member

I came across an older post from last December that may be of interest to you.
Unfortunately it's slightly possible you may have a serious problem as Dan Underwood explains in post #5 in the thread at http://forum.seahorse.org/index.php?...l=diamox+mysis