Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/28/2020, 11:54 AM   #1
madmauler9
Registered Member

125 Mixed Reef Build

I've wanted a reef tank for years and finally had the opportunity to pick up a used 125 for (what I think) is a pretty good price. My plan is to start with a FOWLR and move towards a mixed reef over the next year.

I built the stand pictured (linked), and caulked baffles into a 55 gallon for a sump. I know I am not good at caulking. It's a train wreck, but baffles are secure, and appear to be water tight. The 55 isn't really "optimal" for the stand I built (it's a smidge taller than I would have liked), but it was readily available and cheap. My thought on the sump is (from left to right) filter sock, protein skimmer, refugium, and return. Thoughts?

I grabbed two VorTech MP40s, a Vectra M2, and a RSK300. I've ordered an Apex and a 60 inch ATI T5 hybrid that I want to run with two Kessil a360 Tuna Blues. I also picked up a ATKv2 and a WMX module to run the two VorTech MP40s.

My intention is to be able to finish the plumbing and fill the tank with tap water to make sure no leaks by the end of this weekend. Once I know that the tank and plumbing are water tight, I'm thinking 110 lbs of Marco Rocks to aquascape and cycle. I want to use Dr. Tim's One and Only to kick off the cycle.

Anyway... If there is any interest, I'll update the thread as things progress.

Justin

https://imgur.com/a/IUrXi6J

madmauler9 is offline   Reply With Quote