Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/14/2017, 09:37 AM   #1
praveen956
Registered Member

Fish Disease ID please

I bought a pair of McCosker flasher wrasse few days back and the female died last night in QT..
it was laying on the bottom refused to eat food .. sometimes scratches against the pvc.. i dosed the qt with half a dose of ionic copper (10 ppm) but the fish died this morning anyway.. I will do a 100% water change this evening to protect the male still in QT..

Can you spot which disease it has likely succumbed to ?! I don’t see any white spots for ick..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

praveen956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 11:57 AM   #2
JustinM
Registered Member

10ppm of ionic copper is beyond lethal. How did you measure the copper? Ionic copper is therapeutic at .35 ppm.

Your fish didn’t appear to have any visual symptoms that I can see. Did you see any bullying going on?

JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 01:24 PM   #3
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Scratching usually means Ich or flukes.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 03:17 PM   #4
praveen956
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
10ppm of ionic copper is beyond lethal. How did you measure the copper? Ionic copper is therapeutic at .35 ppm.

Your fish didn’t appear to have any visual symptoms that I can see. Did you see any bullying going on?

Sorry was wrong about the copper dose. Its 0.10 ppm.. half of the recommended dosage of 0.20 ppm on the bottle..

No possibility of bullying as it was in a qt with a male McCosker wrasse and both were added at the same time.. they both hide for the most part as its just been 4 days in my qt..

Unread 11/14/2017, 03:19 PM   #5
praveen956
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
Scratching usually means Ich or flukes.

Yeah.. sucks.. i waited many days to get a pair of McCosker wrasse as females seem so hard to get.. and it dies in few days..

Unread 11/14/2017, 03:56 PM   #6
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen956 View Post
Yeah.. sucks.. i waited many days to get a pair of McCosker wrasse as females seem so hard to get.. and it dies in few days..

This hobby can be extremely frustrating, I have been in your shoes. I have also lost thousands in fish because of disease outbreaks. You started on the right foot with QTing.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 01:36 AM   #7
Jdub968
Registered Member

What copper are you using I know it's ionic but what brand? The fish mouth remains open, was it breathing heavy?

Jdub968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 09:13 AM   #8
praveen956
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub968 View Post
What copper are you using I know it's ionic but what brand? The fish mouth remains open, was it breathing heavy?

Its Cuprion.. the fish seem to be in a pretty bad shape even before i added copper.. I didn’t notice him breathing heavy but he was laying on the bottom or sometimes scratch against the pvc.. I didn’t see any white marks though..

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cupri...-aquatics.html