Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 11/13/2017, 06:35 PM   #1
Dechez
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1
Radion or Atlantik V4?

I can't decide between the two.Tank measures 72"36 32 high .SPS .All input welcome


Dechez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2017, 06:57 PM   #2
Bronx19
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 185
V4 has more coverage for less.


Bronx19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2017, 10:43 PM   #3
10Seconds
Registered Member
 
10Seconds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 50
The V4 is getting amazing reviews. Pair that with the expense to light a 6' tank with Radions and its a no brainer since you would need at least 4 of them.


10Seconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2017, 10:51 PM   #4
Cheapreef
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Edmonton, AB Canada
Posts: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Seconds View Post
The V4 is getting amazing reviews. Pair that with the expense to light a 6' tank with Radions and its a no brainer since you would need at least 4 of them.
He will still want to go with at min 4 of the Orphek unless suplimented with T5.


Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2017, 12:26 AM   #5
rtparty
Raise The Reef!
 
rtparty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 7,491
8 XR15s is a good place to start. Basically breaking the tank up into 18x18 sections.


__________________
Ryan

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2017, 01:01 AM   #6
BlackBeardPete
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 19
Radions have a really good spread but cant imagine buying 5 or 6 in one blow, v4 have great output with more coverage area for the buck


BlackBeardPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2017, 04:04 PM   #7
biecacka
Registered Member
 
biecacka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 5,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapreef View Post
He will still want to go with at min 4 of the Orphek unless suplimented with T5.
4 units over a 6ft tank? They are like 10in wide and at the right height cover 30 inches or so I believe. I would think 2 could easily start, then maybe add a 3rd but I don't own them. A guy local to me has 3 on his 210 which is 5ft I think. He had 2 on it for years and recently added a third one.

Corey


biecacka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2017, 04:05 PM   #8
Cheapreef
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Edmonton, AB Canada
Posts: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
4 units over a 6ft tank? They are like 10in wide and at the right height cover 30 inches or so I believe. I would think 2 could easily start, then maybe add a 3rd but I don't own them. A guy local to me has 3 on his 210 which is 5ft I think. He had 2 on it for years and recently added a third one.

Corey
If he's doing SPS 4 would be needed for sure. You'd want to mount them length wise across the tank since it's 36", and 4 might not cut it at that.


Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2017, 04:17 PM   #9
biecacka
Registered Member
 
biecacka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 5,913
Interesting. The only tank I have seen with the lights on it runs 3 fixtures and the SPS are crawling out of the tank they grow so fast. But I am aware each tank is different. So maybe 4 is needed. Either way, it's less units than the radion. But both lights grow SPS for sure.

Corey


biecacka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2017, 04:42 PM   #10
Cheapreef
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Edmonton, AB Canada
Posts: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Interesting. The only tank I have seen with the lights on it runs 3 fixtures and the SPS are crawling out of the tank they grow so fast. But I am aware each tank is different. So maybe 4 is needed. Either way, it's less units than the radion. But both lights grow SPS for sure.

Corey
Right but is the tank 3' wide or 2' X 5'? That's what will push him to need far more is the width.


Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2017, 05:06 PM   #11
biecacka
Registered Member
 
biecacka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 5,913
I think it's 5x2.5.
Either way there is no doubt these are some of the hottest talked about leds out now. My friend also uses V2 models that were upgraded from the v1. I have heard they have crazy par numbers in comparison to the latter models.
But once again, I don't know. I still run a 400 watt halide

Corey


biecacka is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:29 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014