Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/10/2019, 02:16 PM   #1
ej797
Registered Member

I've got live rock, now what?

I was able to find 115 pounds of Haitian live rock. I went ahead and grabbed it because it seems to be hard to find now.

However, it is full of gorilla crabs and who knows what else. Also, I have not even began my build yet.

So, what would you with the rock if you were me? Would you give it a bath in diluted muratic acid and let it dry out? Would you keep it "alive" in a trash can with a power head? Is there something else you would do? Please include your reasoning so I can understand why you would choose this path.

I truly Appreciate your time. I'll try to get some pics up of the score soon.

Current Tank Info: Planning and Building out 225 Gallon in Wall Reef
ej797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2019, 02:48 PM   #2
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

Lol if u soak it in murid acid then why buy live rock to begin with. Get rid of the crab manually and put the rock in the bin with pump for circulation. For now no heater needed but come winter time then add a heater. As far as water just top off with rodi no need for water change. Keep it dark to prevent algae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABC corals

Current Tank Info: 360g Peninsula sps
ycnibrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2019, 03:25 PM   #3
Bpb
Registered Member

True that why get live rock just to kill it. I’d sooner buy a predatory fish and let them go to town and then rehome the fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2019, 03:31 PM   #4
ej797
Registered Member

I bought the rock more for its shape and rarity than because it was alive. If the rock was readily available I would have just waited. Still, you point rings true. I'm going to keep it alive.

Unread 09/10/2019, 04:08 PM   #5
ThRoewer
Registered Member

See if you can "borrow" a small octopus to clear the rocks of the crabs. Those guys will get all of them in no time.

I would not sterilise Caribbean live rock alone for the fact that there is always a chance that you got a rare coral as a hitchhiker.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2019, 09:30 PM   #6
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I vote to keep it alive too. Maybe the crabs will eat each other with no food added.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2019, 02:46 PM   #7
RioReefr
Registered Member

I have always read to put live rock into a high salinity (1.035+) water and that will get rid of a lot of hitch hikers without killing off the good bacteria deep inside the rock. The combination of doing that, manual intervention and maybe spraying some H202 should kill off that bad stuff.

RioReefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2019, 10:55 AM   #8
ej797
Registered Member

I appreciate the responses. I've kept the rock alive for now while I make the decision.

I bought the rock for the rock itself, not necessarily because it was live. I was having a really tough time finding Haitian live rock and this seemed like a fleeting opportunity. I am months away from having my tank up and running so I only have the option of either nuking them or keeping them alive in a trash can exposed to outdoor temperatures for about three months.

I have them in a trash can now with a powerhead so I could take my time to make this decision.

I'm leaning toward keeping them alive and just dealing with whatever pests I may have. Maybe I'll put a trap in the trash can and try to capture as much as I can. I've already seen a bunch of starfish and gorilla crabs, as well as some kind of worm and an urchin.

Feel free to chime in with your ideas as I have not made my final decision yet.

Unread 09/12/2019, 11:08 AM   #9
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Where did you find the rock?
Live rock is incredibly hard to come by these days and if there is a way to get some I would definitely take the opportunity to stock up on some.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2019, 11:12 AM   #10
ej797
Registered Member

Happened to walk into a LFS and they had 120 pounds of it. That's exactly why I pulled the trigger.

Unread 09/12/2019, 01:53 PM   #11
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Gulf Live Rock dot com has farmed Florida live rock, with shipping costs included in the price. I've bought from them twice. It's very good live rock with tons of life.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2019, 03:36 PM   #12
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

The unusual life forms you can get on live rock makes it a compelling idea but one has to judge the idea carefully since live rock can also bring in just god awful hitch hikers such as Aptasia or worse. That being said, at the very least if you don't just nuke it all, do a ammonia break in till it only reads nitrates & start with a safe clean slate then id watch it very carefully for anything sinister for several months before introducing it in a DT. If it does not get a light source its going to go thru a die off cycle anyway as the coralline algae and other light loving organisms will die if it has such growths on it. Just saltwater & circulation also is not enough to keep a proper bacteria population going either, you will have to add ammonia daily to make up for the live stock that normally are in the tank to keep it real nitrifying rock. Lots to consider here. Best of luck.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote