Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/13/2019, 09:02 AM   #1
HarlequinTusk
Registered Member

Quarantine method for new tank

Pretty much every article or video discusses using media (usually a sponge) from the DT to introduce adequate nitrifying bacteria. While this totally makes sense, what if you are trying to quarantine for a brand new tank? Do you have to use the same tank cycling method on the QT as you would for a DT? Or should you do large water changes every few days? Any advice would be appreciated.

HarlequinTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2019, 09:20 AM   #2
nereefpat
Registered Member

It kind of depends what type of quarantining you plan on doing. Most folks probably don't have a cycled qt, but rely on water changes and Prime to keep ammonia low enough.

Are you just keeping new fish separate for a while? Copper? Tank transfer method?

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2019, 09:46 AM   #3
HarlequinTusk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
It kind of depends what type of quarantining you plan on doing. Most folks probably don't have a cycled qt, but rely on water changes and Prime to keep ammonia low enough.

Are you just keeping new fish separate for a while? Copper? Tank transfer method?
Still researching the pros & cons of each method. I have a 210g DT with a dedicated fish room for equipment. I have plenty of room for quarantine tank(s). It's going to be a mixed reef, so I'll need a separate QT for corals as well.

Unread 09/13/2019, 10:13 AM   #4
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Having a disinfected QT is more important than a cycled one. You have to start with a clean slate. I clean my QTs between sessions with a bleach solution to ensure nothing icky can infect the fish. I match the QT's salinity to the incoming bagged fish's water, so I can float and release, saving the fish a ton of stress. If the fish shows symptoms, I begin appropriate meds asap. If its ICH, I start lowering salinity to hypo salinity, rather than using copper. Then I use ammonia test strips to monitor water and do water changes when needed. If its not ICH, but something else, I'll do hypo AFTER the treatment.

In a one month-ish QT session, you may not see ammonia levels rise before its over. In the past, I kept my QTs up and running, and likely infected the incoming fish from the start!

Once your display tank is up and running, and cycled, you can scoop a spoonful of sand from it and add it to your QT. I also throw a pruned piece of macro algae in there to help suck up nutrients and make the QT more homey.

Good luck with your build!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2019, 09:37 PM   #5
HarlequinTusk
Registered Member

Approximately how many water changes do you end up doing? For an uncycled QT, i would think you'd have to do 50% water changes every few days. I hope I'm mistaken and can do far fewer.

Unread 09/16/2019, 08:31 AM   #6
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Far fewer. I did two 25% (fresh) water changes to lower salinity to hypo levels, after the initial med treatment round. I check ammonia weekly. I'm at eighteen days, still no ammonia spike. I fed the QTs a little fish food before the fish arrived to start the cycle.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2019, 09:28 AM   #7
alton
Registered Member

I use Fritz Turbo 900 to control ammonia in my QT

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2019, 08:47 PM   #8
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
I use Fritz Turbo 900 to control ammonia in my QT
+1 This product will supply enough nitrifying bacteria to cycle a QT. Just dose daily for a week before any fish + meds go in.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2019, 05:55 AM   #9
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Here is what I use and have used for years. I cycle all my QT's and cycled my 625g with it.
www.tlc-products.com If you want to give it a try frag20 gets you 20% off

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote