Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/27/2006, 08:21 PM   #376
melev
Moved On

I think you did a nice job. Now that you are done practicing, are you ready to make the final version?

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2006, 09:40 PM   #377
highquality
Registered Member

What is the final version?

Current Tank Info: One of my tanks is a 50 gallon Mini Reef - 250 wt 20k on a PFO mag. ballast - a 250 wt krystal star 11k on a dynamic E-ballast - ASM G2 1/2 skimmer -TLF phosban reactor with 1 1/2 carbon in it -
highquality is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2006, 06:37 AM   #378
swedge
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by highquality
Swedge, what thickness acrylic did you use there? just curious if i should be worried about my back panel.
I used 1/4" all around. The dimensions are 26" x 18" x 16". I was impressed that there was less bowing than expect on the front panel, but I'll brace it anyway as a peace of mind issue.

Current Tank Info: Now Defunct: 70 gal Reef 4/30/04, 29 gal Sump/Refuge, CPR SR-4 Skimmer, 4x65W PC, Maxijet 1200 PH, Aquaclear 500 HOB Filter, 90lbs Tonga Kaelini, 20lbs Tonga Branch. 65gal Hex Reef tank in the process of converting to Equus tank.
swedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2006, 08:06 AM   #379
highquality
Registered Member

I may do the same - well it looks good swedge.

Unread 10/28/2006, 08:08 AM   #380
swedge
Premium Member

Quote:
I may do the same - well it looks good swedge.
I like the 'built-in' overflow you created. If I ever convice my wife to let me have a coral grow-out tank in the basement, I think I'll copy your design. It looks great.

Current Tank Info: Now Defunct: 70 gal Reef 4/30/04, 29 gal Sump/Refuge, CPR SR-4 Skimmer, 4x65W PC, Maxijet 1200 PH, Aquaclear 500 HOB Filter, 90lbs Tonga Kaelini, 20lbs Tonga Branch. 65gal Hex Reef tank in the process of converting to Equus tank.
swedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2006, 01:47 PM   #381
highquality
Registered Member

Swedge- thanks, i got that idea from the Calfo overflow , but my teeth are not across the whole side . melev / acrylics- I was glueinga small brace on the tank near the overflow, while the tank is half full of saltwater. really smart ,
I know. A very small run of #4 ran into the tank water. How bad is that? Will it harm my corals when i load the tank in a few days?

Current Tank Info: One of my tanks is a 50 gallon Mini Reef - 250 wt 20k on a PFO mag. ballast - a 250 wt krystal star 11k on a dynamic E-ballast - ASM G2 1/2 skimmer -TLF phosban reactor with 1 1/2 carbon in it -
Unread 10/28/2006, 02:15 PM   #382
highquality
Registered Member

Unread 10/28/2006, 02:17 PM   #383
highquality
Registered Member

Unread 10/29/2006, 01:11 AM   #384
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Swedge- thanks, i got that idea from the Calfo overflow , but my teeth are not across the whole side . melev / acrylics- I was glueinga small brace on the tank near the overflow, while the tank is half full of saltwater. really smart ,
I know. A very small run of #4 ran into the tank water. How bad is that? Will it harm my corals when i load the tank in a few days?
MY guess is it isn't a problem, because some reef tanks have been mended with Weld-On while the livestock was still inside. Try not to add any more though.

Unread 10/29/2006, 02:26 PM   #385
Acrylics
Registered Member

Agree w/ Marc on that - won't be a problem. I've done much worse with no ill effects though I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

James

Acrylics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2006, 12:59 AM   #386
melev
Moved On

Hey James, do you ever have a bad can of Weld-On #4? My last can acted like every other can, but the seams looked horrible to me (I'm my own worst critic). I opened a new can last night, and every seam looks amazing. I had no idea it could be such a difference.

Here I thought all along I wasn't prepping the edges well enough, etc...

Then again, the weather is beautiful now so I have fresh air blowing through the house all day now. Maybe it was trapped humidity from running the a/c around the clock with my 280g evaporating into the living area.

Consider me confused.

Unread 10/31/2006, 06:41 AM   #387
Acrylics
Registered Member

Hi Marc,
IME, humidity causes blushing but not a *horrible* looking joint, Blushing being whiteness in and/or around the joint, we have a fairly humid climate here in OR as well - just not as warm
Have I ever had a bad can of WO 4, hmm, I won't use it Their tolerances are far greater than any other solvent I know of, maybe it's to "protect" their secret solvent, but maybe it's so that when a "bad batch" goes out - it's still within spec. You can check their MSDS for more on this.
FWIW, their soltion was recently reformulated but they don't wannna talk about it. Check an old can vs a new can and you'll see what I'm referring to. I've heard nothing good about their new formulations in #3 & 4 from professiona; model makers.

HTH,
James

Unread 10/31/2006, 10:36 AM   #388
H20ENG
Pro builder/aquarist hack

James,
Is there any further prep (other than the alcohol wipe) before using WO 40?

We used to have a can of "acrylic primer" by Sika that was used on our tunnel tube (Mitsubishi-Rayon, IIRC) ends before they were bonded with Polyurethane (expansion joints). That stuff was one of the most wicked solvents I have ever smelled. (The worst was Hecht rubber paint from Aquatic Eco, but the stuff worked great )

Thanks James!
Chris

H20ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2006, 12:29 PM   #389
melev
Moved On

I definitely had the blushing thing happen during the past few weeks. The last 48 hours worth of joints were picture perfect. I think the fresh air and the new can are both to blame.

Unread 10/31/2006, 09:51 PM   #390
jpndave
Registered Member

A/C and humidity

Marc, Just an FYI. A/C removes moisture from the air unless you have a humidifier. So running the A/C would be drier than without.

I have really enjoyed your website and this thread. Thanks all!! Hopefully I'll be starting a sump this weekend, and then a tank if all goes well.

While I am posting, would 3/8" cast acrylic be adequate for a 21" x 21" x 21" cube? How about ¼” cast acrylic for a 20x20x16 high sump? I have WO #4. Will that be the best choice? And one last question, I have seen lots of recommendations for wire thicknesses here. Is the consensus for the pins .007 or thicker?

Thanks,

Dave

jpndave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2006, 11:59 PM   #391
melev
Moved On

Hi Dave,

3/8" Cast would be good for a 21 x 21 x 21 cube, assuming you do at a top flange.

1/4" for a 20 x 20 x 16 will still show some bowing.

#4 is perfectly fine.

I use super tiny accupuncture needles, but I think you've got it correct with .007 thick stainless steel wire.

Unread 11/01/2006, 07:07 AM   #392
jpndave
Registered Member

Thanks Marc!

I think I'll go ahead and order the accupuncture needles. I'll get the .007 and the size up from that (38 & 36 gauge) in 1" long. I may in the future build a larger tank that would require 1" acrylic (or maybe even larger). I assume that the 1/2" would be too short for that with the overhangs that are left to route off. Does that sound about right or do I want to go shorter or different sizes on the needles?

On the sump, do you think there will be significant bowing even with crossbracing? I may need to re think the sump if that is the case. What about adding a top ring? I was thinking something similar to Melev's model "M". I could add a cross brace through the refugium area if that would help. I already have the 1/4" so if I can make that work it would be better. If not, i'll go to 3/8".

Thanks again,

Dave

jpndave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2006, 07:30 AM   #393
Acrylics
Registered Member

Chris,
I've just used an alcohol wipe prior to applying WO 40.

HTH,
James

Unread 11/01/2006, 11:36 AM   #394
melev
Moved On

Dave, the ones I use are 35 gauge I believe. 38 and 36 should be fine. These are probably about 1.5" long, which works well for my projects.

Cross bracing is fine, if you don't mind them being in your way. I prefer the top flange (the ring you mentioned) with a 2" width all the way around the sump.

Unread 11/02/2006, 06:48 PM   #395
highquality
Registered Member

I have a ever so slight bow in the longer side panels. Maybe it will show up in a picture. I really do not want to put a cross brace on , but should I ? I am now realizing how much water this tank will hold. I originally thought since it was only 14 inches high I would not need to worry about the bowing while using 2 inch strips for bracing. now im rather concerned as I still have 4 inches or so to go filling it up.

Unread 11/02/2006, 08:16 PM   #396
melev
Moved On

Do you plan to run this at 14" high all the time? Give us a measurement of how much deflection you are seeing.

Unread 11/02/2006, 11:05 PM   #397
highquality
Registered Member

Yes it will be full so the water will flow thru the teeth. if I were to put a straight edge over the edge I would probably see at least 1/8 of bow out. Really not crazy bowing but definately noticable if you look at it that way.

Unread 11/02/2006, 11:12 PM   #398
highquality
Registered Member

maybe you can tell here, tho its hard to see in thie picture.

Unread 11/02/2006, 11:14 PM   #399
highquality
Registered Member

As you can see there is still some more water to add. Should I add a 3-4 inch strip along the 4ft sides. I could bolt them on with plastic screws

Unread 11/02/2006, 11:32 PM   #400
melev
Moved On

I would add the water and measure the deflection. That is the best way to decide what is needed.