Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

View Poll Results: How would you keep my lighting affordable yet effective?
MH and T5 combo 29 61.70%
keep power compacts add retro T5 7 14.89%
keep power compacts add retro MH 11 23.40%
add another power compact unit 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 05/27/2010, 06:43 PM   #1
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

Lightbulb 56 gallon column build (last chance)

Ok so I thought I would start with a general backround about my experience in reefkeeping. I started well over 15 years ago when I was in the military and stationed in California. I had a roommate who had a tank and I was hooked. Since I have been away for awhile and decided to start up a tank last year. After much consideration (and ignorance on my part for how much the hobby has changed since the early 90's) I started this tank: a 56 gallon column that I bought from Petsmart. Since then I have had nothing but failure at keeping anything do to my impatience and "tinkering" with things I just don't yet understand. My wife has had it with the tank and is giving me one more chance to get it right before she wants us to get out. With a baby on the way, I can't afford another major disaster. So please keep this in mind as you provide your feedback and thoughts.

ON WITH THE SHOW.

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon blue line rimless tank
reeftanknewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2010, 06:52 PM   #2
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

As you can see from my signature, I have what I believe is most of what I will need at this point with the exception of maybe more lighting as time goes on and I begin keeping corals. After the last teardown I have decided to get back to basics and take my time and use equipment I have some familiarity with. So I picked up this sump, overflow and skimmer box, rio return pump, skimmer, MH fixture, 2 heaters, and 4 Korillas (2 #1, and 2 #2) locally on craigslist all for 65.00 (thanks EH). ], , , , , double ended MH fixture

Last edited by reeftanknewbie; 05/27/2010 at 07:46 PM.
Unread 05/27/2010, 06:57 PM   #3
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

Here are some pics of me prepping the tank and HOB refugium for paint. I painted both black with Krylon Fusion paint. Stuff works great and drys fast and even.

http://prepping the tank for paint http://prepping refugium for paint http://painted refugium http://paint used http://back of tank painted pic 2

Last edited by reeftanknewbie; 05/27/2010 at 07:09 PM.
Unread 05/27/2010, 07:14 PM   #4
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

After I cleaned the tank, Here is me leveling it and getting ready to mock up for the plumbing.

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/t...nkandstand.jpg
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/t...edtankPic2.jpg

Here is my live rock and Chaeto in a holding tank while I work on the new tank.

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/t...gtankforLR.jpg
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/t...kforLRpic2.jpg
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/t...3sb/Chateo.jpg

Unread 05/27/2010, 07:27 PM   #5
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

After everything was cleaning throughly, I mocked it up to see how it all fits.
mock up return, original HOB overflow, Mock up of plumbing and wiring, sand in HOB refugium

Last edited by reeftanknewbie; 05/27/2010 at 07:34 PM.
Unread 05/27/2010, 07:39 PM   #6
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

I decided to use a Hofer Gurgle Buster to reduce the drain noise. Took awhile to dial in but works great. I chose this design due to the space saving feature since my overflow box is small.

Hofman Gurgle buster

Here is the website if your interested in building one for yourself.

http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson...struction.html

I also picked up a GFCI unit at Lowes for 16.00 and my safety. Again I want to take my time and do it right this time.
GFCI, GFCI outlet

Unread 05/27/2010, 07:44 PM   #7
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

In went the salt and RO/DI water and after two or three days when the temp and sality was right I added the live rock and began my aquascaping.I bought 70 lbs of sand (one bag of live Argonite and one bag of oolite). I mixed the two together then added it to the tank.

filling th etank, 40lbs of live sand, 30 lbs of oolite dry sugar sand

Unread 05/28/2010, 05:45 AM   #8
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

Ok so while I wait during the next several weeks for the tank to cycle I thought I would take this time to share my thoughts about this setup and get your advise and learn from your experiences. I am looking to make this a reeftank with only a few fish. I was thinking of keeping a salfin tang, dragon goby, and either a pair of misbar clowns or something of the sort. As for a CUC, I was thinking of starting with a 6 Nasserius snails, 1-2 turbos or something of the sort and 2-4 red scarlet hermits. Coral wise, since it's been awhile for me, maybe something like Zooanthids and the likes that I can keep under by limited lighting setup at this point. I am looking to add lighting in the future to what I have and would like suggestions on something affordable and well made. I have been considering an Odyssea Metal Halide Pendant 150W with T5 and have read the mixed reviews and threads on here about them. I have found two locally for sale for around 65.00 with new bulbs. Here is a link to the product.

http://shop.aquatraders.com/ProductD...ductCode=54241

Here is a picture of my first try at aquascaping the tank. Trying for a column type scaping.

Photobucket

Unread 05/28/2010, 06:03 AM   #9
spamreefnew
Registered Member

looking good,,the only thing i would do is to return the fluval and put the money twards a quality light or bigger skimmer, my oddyseea light has always worked well but the color of the light is off causing my corals to grow slow,,,good luck!

spamreefnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2010, 03:51 PM   #10
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

Spamreefnew,

thanks for the encouragement.

Agreed on the Fluval however it's far from new. Was thinking about using it to run carbon in the beginning until I get a carbon/GFO unit from bulk reef supply. The Oddyseea I am looking into has the phoenix bulb (not sure what this is, believe it's the brand with different coloring of light). Any experience with the Aqualine skimmer...suppose to be rated to 100gallons. Currently using my old Prizm pro skimmer until I get the pump for the aqualine.

Unread 05/30/2010, 04:38 AM   #11
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

Ok So I have begun logging the cycling process. so far it looks like my Ammonia is at .025ppm and beginning to start cycling.

Day 9 test

While nature is doing its thing, would like to take a moment to talk lighting from my poll. I am looking to keep my cost down by using what I have and adding what I need. My thoughts are in looking into a retro kit either T5 or MH depending on the price. I have this fixture already that I got from a local reefer getting out of the hobby. Does anyone have suggestions on how I might retro this.

double ended MH fixture

Unread 05/30/2010, 08:26 AM   #12
GQuinn
Registered Member

The lighting fixture you already have does not look complete. Double ended bulbs should have a glass shield as part of the light fixture. The reflector part of the light fixture is also minimal. I think you should use a different light pendant than the one shown above.

Gary

GQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2010, 08:54 AM   #13
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

Quote:
The lighting fixture you already have does not look complete. Double ended bulbs should have a glass shield as part of the light fixture. The reflector part of the light fixture is also minimal. I think you should use a different light pendant than the one shown above.
GQuinn,

go to know....do you have any suggestions as to a good brand for MH light Pendants?

Unread 05/30/2010, 09:24 AM   #14
Ryno368
Registered Member

i am an advocate of an algae scrubber look into putting on in your sump/refgium

Ryno368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2010, 10:08 AM   #15
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Great build and well documented.
I would try www.kijiji.com for your area. You might be able to pick up a light fixture on there pretty cheap.

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2010, 04:30 PM   #16
GQuinn
Registered Member

I may have missed it, but what is the physical size (L x W x H) of 56 gallon column tank?

Gary

Unread 05/30/2010, 05:04 PM   #17
Nebthet
Registered Member

Great build so far.
What type of corals are you looking at keeping in this tank?

Honestly, unless you want to keep low light corals or have it as a FOWLR, then I would suggest going with T5 lighting. If you already have MH then use that.
A skimmer will definately help as well.

I can't wait to continue to see the progress of this tank.

Nebthet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2010, 07:06 PM   #18
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeftanknewbie View Post
Ok so I thought I would start with a general backround about my experience in reefkeeping. I started well over 15 years ago when I was in the military and stationed in California. I had a roommate who had a tank and I was hooked. Since I have been away for awhile and decided to start up a tank last year. After much consideration (and ignorance on my part for how much the hobby has changed since the early 90's) I started this tank: a 56 gallon column that I bought from Petsmart. Since then I have had nothing but failure at keeping anything do to my impatience and "tinkering" with things I just don't yet understand. My wife has had it with the tank and is giving me one more chance to get it right before she wants us to get out. With a baby on the way, I can't afford another major disaster. So please keep this in mind as you provide your feedback and thoughts.

ON WITH THE SHOW.
could you explain your disaster a little more. the equipment you have is great and should not cause any disasters. It usually more reef maintenance, coral and fish husbandry and the most efficient use of what you have.

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2010, 08:00 PM   #19
Rskillz
Registered Member

That tank looks awfully small for a Sailfin tang

Rskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2010, 06:09 AM   #20
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

WOW,
thanks everyone for your responses. I was afraid this thread would be slow to develop and I am glad you are all here to help. I tried to answer or respond to everyone's suggestions and asked a few questions myself. Hope I didn't miss anything or anyone.

Quote:
i am an advocate of an algae scrubber look into putting on in your sump/refugium
Ryno368,
I appreciate the feedback. You know I remember in the early 90's these were popular but don't know much about them. Do you have a website I can visit to see how they fit in the sump?

Quote:
Great build and well documented.
I would try www.kijiji.com for your area. You might be able to pick up a light fixture on there pretty cheap
capn_hylinur,
It's an honor to have your aboard. Will definitely check out that link you sent me. As for my "disaster". I was just running a canister filter, HOB refugium and power heads. Mistakenly on my part I used a silicone that was not reef safe in that it had mold resistant chemicals in it. I had to repair a piece in my refugium and in a hurry used this stuff which whipped out the tank. It's the only thing I can think of since I am very careful in my documentation of any maintenance that I do.

Quote:
I may have missed it, but what is the physical size (L x W x H) of 56 gallon column tank?
Gary,
You didn't miss it, I was just lazy in putting the measurements down. Here is the info along with the link of where I purchased it. Dimensions: 30-1/4"L x 18-1/4"W x 57-7/16"H
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3804456
Quote:
Great build so far.
What type of corals are you looking at keeping in this tank?

Honestly, unless you want to keep low light corals or have it as a FOWLR, then I would suggest going with T5 lighting. If you already have MH then use that.
A skimmer will definately help as well.

I can't wait to continue to see the progress of this tank.
Nebthet,
Thanks for the encouraging words and feedback. I am definately looking into keeping Zoo's, sun corals, leathers, frogspawn, xenia, star polyps, toadstool, etc. I realize that lighting should be around 4-6 watts a gallon and at a 130watts currently I am under. Was looking to supplement my current lighting. As for the MH, I only have a old fixture but not all the other stuff. So I can go either way and sell what I have. What something that will last, be efficient in energy use, and not cost a whole lot of money. I am going to be looking in buying used to save some cash. Would love to hear your thoughts here.

Quote:
That tank looks awfully small for a Sailfin tang
Rskillz,
Thanks, any suggestions on stocking? I was thinking of starting with 4 chromis ( 2 green and 2 yellow tailed) since they swim together and look neat doing so in my opinion. I like interesting fish with interesting behaviors. I have had watchman and dragon gobies before so these are the "type" of fish and behaviors I am referring to.

Unread 05/31/2010, 08:55 AM   #21
GQuinn
Registered Member

Gary,
You didn't miss it, I was just lazy in putting the measurements down. Here is the info along with the link of where I purchased it. Dimensions: 30-1/4"L x 18-1/4"W x 57-7/16"H
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3804456

That 57 7/16 height cannot be correct. The tank looks more like about 27" deep. If that is the case I would use a 250 watt Radium bulb in a good pendant with a HQI ballast to light this tank.

Gary

Unread 05/31/2010, 09:09 AM   #22
luibove
Registered Member

Turf Algae Scrubbers

I plan on using 1 of these for my next tank, here is a great resource for all your questions.
http://www.reefcentral.com/

luibove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2010, 12:53 PM   #23
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

Gary,

Yeah I think that was a typo. Do you recommend a particular brand of MH ballast? I was thinking about looking for a used Icecap. Had a VHO ballast in the past and loved it.

luibove,
thanks for the great resource on the algae scrubber. Have to do some research on these as I don't know much about them. Anyone have one for a period of time? How is the maintenance on them?

Unread 05/31/2010, 05:47 PM   #24
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

Ok so I just tested my water parameters today again. Today is day 13 since I have started the tank. Don't see any change in my ammonia levels yet and certainly no nitrates or nitrites yet. Waiting patiently.

Ammonia .25ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
ph 7.8
temp 79
salinity 1.025

Unread 05/31/2010, 08:00 PM   #25
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

luibove,

did more research on the algae turf scrubber. I remember these being used in the 90's but never tried one. Here is one I thought might fit well on the return line of my sump. what do you think?