Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/16/2019, 11:01 PM   #1
Jamie1210
Registered Member

Ritteri or crispa?

This bleached anemone was sold to me as a ritteri, but now I'm wondering if its a h.crispa instead? Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Jamie1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2019, 11:12 PM   #2
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

It’s a Ritteri. Best of luck with its recovery.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2019, 01:14 AM   #3
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Yep, it's definitely a magnifica.
It looks like the bleached one I have. So far my attempts of reinfecting it with symbiotic algae were a complete failure and by now it looks like the anemone is on its way out...

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2019, 09:44 AM   #4
D-Nak
Registered Member

I have a bleached magnifica as well. It's been going on two months and still no sign of zoox. It eats well and looks great, other than the lack of color. I've tried feeding it BTA and gigantea tentacles but still no signs of color.

Unread 09/17/2019, 10:00 AM   #5
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
I have a bleached magnifica as well. It's been going on two months and still no sign of zoox. It eats well and looks great, other than the lack of color. I've tried feeding it BTA and gigantea tentacles but still no signs of color.
Do you have any anemonefish with it? My bicinctus would not allow the magnifica to get a single Mysis down. And aside from that, the anemone wasn't really eating well to begin with. It always took a long time for it to react if I put food in it. By now it shows serious signs of atrophy and is so weak that it doesn't even attach anymore.
Like you, I tried all anemones I have (BTA, haddoni, gigantea) and even a couple of soft corals (Xenia & Anthelia) as zooxanthellae donors but nothing worked. I even got a pricey magnifica from Diver's Den and the transfer still failed.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 09/17/2019, 10:47 AM   #6
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Do you have any anemonefish with it? My bicinctus would not allow the magnifica to get a single Mysis down. And aside from that, the anemone wasn't really eating well to begin with. It always took a long time for it to react if I put food in it. By now it shows serious signs of atrophy and is so weak that it doesn't even attach anymore.
Like you, I tried all anemones I have (BTA, haddoni, gigantea) and even a couple of soft corals (Xenia & Anthelia) as zooxanthellae donors but nothing worked. I even got a pricey magnifica from Diver's Den and the transfer still failed.
While in QT, I had it with a single wild percula that I picked up from AC (which was subsequently killed when I tried to pair it with one of the wild percs we picked up from Steve a long time ago.)

I've since moved it into my anemone tank that's got several picassos and a B/W ocellaris. They move from one nem to the next so the magnifica has time to eat.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I know that it probably won't survive long term if the zoox population doesn't bounce back. However, I also think it would've died by now if it was sick or the lack of zoox has detrimental affects.

Unread 09/17/2019, 04:54 PM   #7
Jamie1210
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses, guys. Ok, so it looks like a unanimous RITTERI! Great!

Interesting, I didn't realize coloring up mags is much more challenging than coloring up other anemones.

Derek, my bleached ritteri looks just like yours, all the way down to the black speck on the end of each tentacle.

I'm curious what coloration you think it will be when/if it finally turns healthy?

Jamie1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2019, 09:09 PM   #8
OrionN
Moved on

D-Nak,
That is a nice Magnifica. Hope you will be able to get him healthy again.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2019, 09:10 PM   #9
OrionN
Moved on

Jaime1210,
Your Magnifica will not have much color wen he recover. All white will result in an anemone that is all brown, plus what ever the column color is.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 09/17/2019, 10:54 PM   #10
ThRoewer
Registered Member

My bleached mag goes now on 5 months and it is starting to show signs of decay. I think by now it is beyond the point where it can be rescued.
I think you need to have a healthy donor at the time you get a bleached anemone. The longer you wait the lower the chances for a successful reinfection get.

Unread 09/18/2019, 04:44 AM   #11
OrionN
Moved on

I think you must have an otherwise healthy anemone and a healthy donor.
Thomas, can you separate the anemone from the fish so you can feed him?

Unread 09/18/2019, 07:47 AM   #12
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I think you must have an otherwise healthy anemone and a healthy donor.
Thomas, can you separate the anemone from the fish so you can feed him?
Yes, I would agree with that assumption.
I have both of my magnificas in Cipro treatment right now and I don't plan on returning them to the fish any time soon.
I have also a third one coming from LA this week. I really hope that one isn't bleached either. But I'm almost certain that it will also need antibiotic treatment by the time it gets here.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk