Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/21/2019, 07:25 AM   #1
af4evr13
Registered Member

New30 Aquarium Setup Help

Hello Reef Central, I am new to this site and new to Saltwater Aquariums. I have recently set up a Red Sea Reefer 350. I have made some rookie mistakes already and I am wondering now the best way to mitigate issues going forward.

If you have ever owned a Red Sea Reefer you probably know that not much comes with them. No return pump, No lights etc. I did know about not having lights but it was quite the shock to put the tank together, add rock and sand and water....then no pump. So now to where I am now and my best course of action.

Current Set up:
1) 3 Weeks on first cycle
2) 30 lbs of Live Reef Rock (Plan to add 40 more lbs of Rock)
3) Temp 76 Degrees, PH 8.0, Ammonia, .25 ppm slightly elevated, Nitrites O, Nitrates 15 ppm elevated
4) 30 lbs of Live Reef Rock
5) 1 Large Non Toxic Decoration
6) 3 Anthias, 3 Blue Crabs, 10 Hermit Crabs

Questions:
1) I plan to add 40 more lbs of rock. Can I do dry reef rock and seed in my live rock or should I buy 40 more lbs of live reef rock. Trying to safe some at the expense of time if possible. I recognize if I have to seed it will take much longer for the rock to cycle.
2) How big of a deal is not having any aquarium lights? I know that I need certain lighting for coral but I have also read that certain parts of my live rock might die off without proper lighting. Is this true.

Appreciate any advice you guys have and remember I am new this so don't beat me up too badly.

af4evr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2019, 09:18 AM   #2
af4evr13
Registered Member

New Aquarium Setup Help cont.

Hey Guys, some edits/editions to my first post.

The tank is a Red Reefer 350. 70 Gallon Display, 91 gallon total.
I did add a pump. Sicce 4.0.

thanks!

Unread 04/21/2019, 12:49 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

You can certainly add clean dry rock..and thats typically best as you avoid causing another mini cycle...seems like your tanks has already cycled and you are good to go.. Saves money too that way...

Light is only needed once you start going for corals or just want to see in the tank better..

Seems like you are doing just fine..

Unread 04/21/2019, 02:31 PM   #4
af4evr13
Registered Member

Thank you for the advice! Any recommendations on where to get the clean dry rock? So many options out there online. I don't really have any stores close so I will probably buy it online.