Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/04/2019, 11:08 AM   #1
ATI_Reefer
Registered Member

AutoTopoff.com (Don't waste your time)

Not sure where to post this, but I couldn't find the vendor/sponsor feedback forum. So I'm apologies if there is one. Mods please move there if available.

First of all, I wanna mention that this appears to be a one man operation out of Austin, TX. The guy is slow to return emails which is really annoying. I found out there is no phone number to call him. What I ordered was different than what was pictured on his website. That frustrated me because now I needed to leave my house and go buy different fittings that would work for my application. Long story short...there was a better solution for what I was planning to do so I sent the solenoid valve back after finally getting in touch with the guy via email...I offered to pay return shipping because I had a feeling this guy would refuse to pay it. Then... after he receives the valve, he only refunds $48. I purchased the valve for $56. So he basically took it upon himself to apparently withhold $8 of my money even after I paid the return shipping. Not cool. The valve was brand-new, not a scratch on it, was never used other than me blowing through the hole! I even sent it back via priority mail and bubble wrapped it extra nice for him so that it would not be damaged in shipping. The fact that he took $8 of my money pretty much confirms that he wouldn't have paid the return shipping either. I sent an email to ask why he didn't refund all my money back and what do you know, the guy doesn't respond. Classic! Never again will I trust a ridiculous operation like this.

ATI_Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2019, 12:20 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Was the original shipping cost $8 ?

Unread 10/04/2019, 01:36 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

@ATI_Reefer
Free returns/1 day shipping,etc.. from Amazon and the like have spoiled all of us.

Sometimes we need to remember that in order for the little guys to stay in business they often times need to enact policies like "We cannot refund original shipping costs on returns".

If the item was defective I would hope that the cost of the original shipping was refunded.. But I can see how if it was your decision to return the product that the original shipping cost would not be refunded.. The vendor cannot request that money back from the shipping company so anytime a customer returns something like this they would be out that money..

Unread 10/04/2019, 01:39 PM   #4
wrott
Registered Member

Get 1 or 2 of these, best ato:
https://premiumaquatics.com/products...-auto-top.html

i use 2 for redundancy. They will usually fail to low water, no overflow.

120g SPS, 125g mix, 56g FOWLR, 20g qt
wrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2019, 04:13 PM   #5
ATI_Reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Was the original shipping cost $8 ?
Not sure, but even if it was I still think it's wrong.

Unread 10/04/2019, 04:16 PM   #6
ATI_Reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
@ATI_Reefer
Free returns/1 day shipping,etc.. from Amazon and the like have spoiled all of us.

Sometimes we need to remember that in order for the little guys to stay in business they often times need to enact policies like "We cannot refund original shipping costs on returns".

If the item was defective I would hope that the cost of the original shipping was refunded.. But I can see how if it was your decision to return the product that the original shipping cost would not be refunded.. The vendor cannot request that money back from the shipping company so anytime a customer returns something like this they would be out that money..

Yep, I agree except for I paid the return shipping. I won't do business with places like this anymore.

Was my mistake and it won't happen again.

Unread 10/04/2019, 07:39 PM   #7
SantaMonica
Registered Member

I ordered some of their stuff years ago, and got it right away.

Unread 10/06/2019, 05:58 PM   #8
ATI_Reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
I ordered some of their stuff years ago, and got it right away.
I’m glad you had a positive experience 2 years ago. Wish I would have too.

This guy just now emailed me back and basically called me a liar. He said it was my fault for not noticing the drop down arrow. I mean I just didn’t see it and his website mentions nothing about being able to change fittings on the valve. I had no clue that the option was available. I mean if it doesn’t mention it, why would I be looking for it. I just thought I was ordering what he had pictured. I think most people would.

I told him I wanted to return it because the solenoid valve restricts flow and wouldn’t work for what I needed it for, but there were also other reasons too. I just didn’t feel the need to call him out on it and upset him about his product. It did not have the correct power cord pictured, and there definitely isn’t an option to change that. The valve nut was damaged, but it’s stainless steel and would work anyway so I didn’t mention it to him. Maybe I’m too shy to tell people the truth. Since the fittings were push connect and not the barbed fittings that I needed, I had to go and search for them which was unsuccessful because Lowe’s was out of stock. I just feel like he should have at least elaborated in the text about additional options. Maybe it was completely my fault.

Either way, I was very disappointed in the way that he handled it. When he kept $8 of my money when I paid the return shipping and packaged it better than I received it was frustrating. Especially when he sent a damaged product that had wrong power cord, wrong fittings, etc. IMO, he should have paid the return shipping and let me have a full refund since it was sent back to him in perfect condition. Ohh well, you live and learn.

No more small one man companies for me. No more dealing with a company who doesn’t list a phone number and who can’t respond to emails within two business days. Buy at your own risk! You’ve been warned.

Unread 10/06/2019, 06:57 PM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Ummm.yeah

Unread 10/08/2019, 01:37 PM   #10
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Nothing wrong with a one man operation, I actually like to support the little guy when possible. In fairness to the seller, it is not easy running a small business like this (making all of the products, shipping, sourcing parts, etc.). I have ordered from him MANY times and currently have one of his ATO's on my 40b. I have NEVER had a problem with any of his products, no failures of any kind.

That being said, his communication is definitely not up to par. When I placed my last order I never received a confirmation and wondered if he was even still in business. Then out of the blue my order was in my mailbox.

IMO, the product is great quality at a good price, but communication could be improved.

Unread 10/08/2019, 03:43 PM   #11
ViPeR_930
Registered Member

deleted

ViPeR_930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2019, 11:49 PM   #12
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

I agree, there is nothing wrong with 1 man show.
I sell quarantined fish online to all over USA and I am 1 man show.
I have purchased many ATO's from them before and never had any issues on delivery, timing or communication.
But it's been 5 to 7 yrs ago.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2019, 01:18 PM   #13
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Yup, bought a bunch of stuff from him, no issues. Just need to pay attention to what you’re ordering.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2019, 02:02 PM   #14
hkgar
Registered Member

If you need it and the cost plus any shipping costs is what you believe the product is worth to you - buy it. If it isn't than - don't buy it.

If you can get it elsewhere for a lower total cost - then buy it there.

That's what the free market is all about.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2019, 08:11 AM   #15
rocsec1
Registered Member

I’ve bought him and it was top notch.

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2019, 03:23 PM   #16
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

I bought my first ATO from him and he returned my emails/calls.. Maybe he is on vacation?

anyway, I recently replaced it with the Duetto ATO and love it.. don;t even think it costs that much more.

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2019, 06:23 PM   #17
stiltman
Registered Member

I ordered from this guy so long ago I cant remember exactly when. Probably more than 8 years. Quality ATO that has been running everyday since I bought it and still going strong.

Sorry he did not meet your standards, but given the price and reliability of the product I'd highly recommend buying from him.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 75 w/ 20 sump
stiltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2019, 07:43 PM   #18
Daddi0
Registered Member

I bought my double float switch from Autotopoff.com years ago and I love it! The man is a craftsman and this unit has worked flawlessly without maint. for over 2 years. I would not hesitate to buy from him again and again.
Cheers! Mark

Unread 10/30/2019, 11:37 PM   #19
billwill
Registered Member

I’ll take a stand here to defend autotopoff.com. I’ve been buying systems from them for many years now, and they started and still continue to offer a solid solution to the semi diy approach to auto top off for us. It’s not their fault that you didn’t fully understand what you were buying, it’s yours. Awesome products and very affordable prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2019, 06:38 PM   #20
KenBry
Registered Member

I got some parts from Autotopoff.com last week. One of the valves I ordered was out of stock. The site got in touch with me and asked what I wanted to do. I emailed him back, got a different valve. He refunded the difference between the valves. Parts all arrived and I’m very happy.

Op had a tough run.. I didn’t.. I would order again.

KenBry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autotopoff, autotopoff.com, autotopoff.com controller