Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 09/10/2019, 05:22 PM   #1
ali1
Registered Member

Kill Clove Polyps - Need Help!

How do I kill these guys? I have a 300G and half of the tank is already infested with this stuff. I have a mixed reef, LPS and SPS, and softies.

I heard fenbendazole would do, would my eels be fine? I have a Tessalata and Zebra Moray

Attached Images
File Type: jpg clove1.jpg (81.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg clove2.jpg (76.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg clove3.jpg (82.1 KB, 37 views)

"I'm totally frustrated by this disease. My display has been fallow for 2 months now. If ich happened to mysteriously appear again, I'm giving up and going back to African Cichilds."
ali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2019, 08:13 AM   #2
[email protected]
Registered Member

Is that pulsing xenia?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Watchm@n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2019, 08:38 AM   #3
yakfishin
Registered Member

They do look like a blue or purple clove polyp. Yes they do quickly spread and are very hard to control once they have spread. They should be sold with a warning. Sorry I can't offer any suggestion on getting rid of them that would be a solution you would like to hear. The only sure fire way to get rid of them, that I know of, is to take the rock out to kill it, which in a large reef tank is not the preferred solution. I have read of success with certain angelfish, of course, they may eat some of your other stuff as well. I hope someone else on here can offer you a solution. Have you tried anything so far? They don't appear to be all that healthy compared to your surrounding corals.

yakfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2019, 09:05 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I am not aware of any reports of fenbendazole harming Eels or any other fish/livestock..

Some said they have had invert losses and most certainly it will harm soft corals but LPS/SPS/Livestock seems to be unharmed by it..

Old 09/11/2019, 11:32 AM   #5
ali1
Registered Member

I guess I don't mind taking out my toadstools, but how soon can you put them back in after clearing up tank?

I was reading that rocks might leech bits for a while.

"I'm totally frustrated by this disease. My display has been fallow for 2 months now. If ich happened to mysteriously appear again, I'm giving up and going back to African Cichilds."
ali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2019, 02:25 PM   #6
mjpinsky
Registered Member

Angry clove polyps

I'm a bit jealous. I can't seem to get them established and growing in my tank. (tried twice -- both times they died off w/i a month or so).
If you ever get to the point you want to tear some out, I would gladly take some off your hands.
msg me if your want...... marc

mjpinsky is offline   Reply With Quote