Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/20/2013, 06:18 PM   #1
Winwood
Registered Member

How important is water flow to S. gigantea?

In reference to antibiotic treatment, I think it is fair to say, a huge step has been made when it comes to keeping this species. So, if a healthy specimen is established, how much does water flow play in maintaining the health of these specimens?

Winwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2013, 06:42 AM   #2
xtlosx
Just Reefin'

I've had my purple since February 2nd and he parked himself in front of my MP40. When reef crest kicks on he gets pounded... When reef crest alternates, it's more mellow for a bit. This has continued for months and the Gig hasn't moved.

Green is in the middle of the tank out of the line of sight from my MP40s... When they ramp up it moves'em around all over the place then is calm for a bit. This gig has sat in this spot for over a month now showing no intention of moving yet..

I think the whole notion is overplayed, they need flow, alternating, and random flow is best.... Reef Crest with my MP40s does it for me.

Unread 04/21/2013, 06:52 AM   #3
Reefvette
Registered Member

Tell me you have a cover on the mp?

Imo flow for each of the species is import to their long term care.

Perfect flow means the nem stays in place. Thats means they are happy.

Each require different types of flow

Unread 04/21/2013, 07:15 AM   #4
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

xtlosx- one of your gigs gets pounded by an MP40 (hasn't moved since Feb) the other gets moved around a bit (with multiple MP40's on 'crest mode)hasn't moved in a month and you post that you "think the whole notion is overplayed"?

I'm confused please explain.

IMO/IME water flow is much more important to S. gigantea than (for example) Haddon's carpet anemone.
S. gigantea prefers water motion similar to what H. magnifica prefers.

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2013, 08:29 AM   #5
xtlosx
Just Reefin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Majchrzak View Post
xtlosx- one of your gigs gets pounded by an MP40 (hasn't moved since Feb) the other gets moved around a bit (with multiple MP40's on 'crest mode)hasn't moved in a month and you post that you "think the whole notion is overplayed"?

I'm confused please explain.

IMO/IME water flow is much more important to S. gigantea than (for example) Haddon's carpet anemone.
S. gigantea prefers water motion similar to what H. magnifica prefers.
Hey Gary, I'm just saying from a lot of the posts I read when researching Gigantea ownership it was always Gigs have to have high flow or else they move and do not thrive. My case is obviously a very short one, but have a LFS that has had a beautiful 16"+ blue gig for 5 yrs and it is no where near getting pounded or even hit hard by any power heads. I'm not saying they do not like heavy flow because my purple is literally a couple inches away and down from my MP40.

I agree, they do require good water movement, more random flow, but like every animal I think they have their own needs that are not a one size fits all kind of thought. That's just my observations, but I agree they prefer flow requirements of a Mag more so than a Haddoni.

Unread 04/21/2013, 08:41 AM   #6
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

just as an example

I've had my gig for several years now in a high flow SPS type environment.
(One MP60 and two eductor capped returns with an Iwaki100RLT as my main pump).

There's a lot of water circulation and my gig loves it.

It's pretty common to have a non-reefkeeper or someone new to the hobby look at my aquarium and remark that there's NOT a lot of water flow in my aquarium. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I think water flow and lighting are much more important to gigantea than haddoni and neither species is a good "beginner's anemone".

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2013, 08:45 AM   #7
xtlosx
Just Reefin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Majchrzak View Post
I've had my gig for several years now in a high flow SPS type environment.
(One MP60 and two eductor capped returns with an Iwaki100RLT as my main pump).

There's a lot of water circulation and my gig loves it.

It's pretty common to have a non-reefkeeper or someone new to the hobby look at my aquarium and remark that there's NOT a lot of water flow in my aquarium. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I think water flow and lighting are much more important to gigantea than haddoni and neither species is a good "beginner's anemone".
Agreed. Flow is often times hard to tell by visual just like par is often times misleading on the eyes. As well I agree the requirements for gigs, tank size, QT availability an overall amount of time needed to properly keep this animal do not lend itself to a beginner...

Unread 04/21/2013, 09:39 AM   #8
cichlidconvert
Registered Member

My blue gig parked himself in front of a high flow area at first then a couple days later got low and into a low flow area with less light reaching it. I was concerned that the flow pushed it out of the light. And adjusted the flow but it hasn't moved. It's 550 flow from one side and 950 from the other in a 45. I fired up the 1650 with the other two but it was a ton of flow and it looked like the green had a hard time with it.

Unread 04/21/2013, 07:55 PM   #9
OrionN
Moved on

From where they are in the wild, often in the tidal area, sometime exposed in low tide, I think they required plenty of flow and light. They see to like and can withstand high temp also.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2013, 11:29 PM   #10
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

I have only been successful keeping them in moderate/high flow. That said, I think people are generally keeping reef tanks with a lot more flow (and more chaotic flow) today than say, ten years ago.

Unread 04/22/2013, 08:56 AM   #11
phender
Registered Member

Mine seemed to do best in an area of alternating flow of a lot of water, but out of a big pipe. So, in other words, a lot of water but at a slower velocity. Modern wave makers that set up a standing wave in the tank would be perfect for gigs in my opinion.

Current Tank Info: 50 gal reef, used to have - 60 gal reef, 40 gal reef, 2-20 gal clownfish tanks which were also reefs.
phender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2013, 09:06 AM   #12
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlidconvert View Post
My blue gig parked himself in front of a high flow area at first then a couple days later got low and into a low flow area with less light reaching it. I was concerned that the flow pushed it out of the light. And adjusted the flow but it hasn't moved. It's 550 flow from one side and 950 from the other in a 45. I fired up the 1650 with the other two but it was a ton of flow and it looked like the green had a hard time with it.
Can you take a video of it?

One with the one flow and one with the other?

I would like to see it and I am sure it would help some others out.

Thanks!

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2013, 09:23 AM   #13
phender
Registered Member

I am not the person you were asking about a video, but here is a video I took to show the flow in my tank. I am sorry it is not very good quality. At the very end of the video the flow through the pipe behind the anemone stops and switches to the other side of the tank. There is still some flow from another powerhead bouncing off the front glass, but not near as much as during the video. Notice the flow is very random and is difficult to see what direction its actually coming from.

Current Tank Info: 50 gal reef, used to have - 60 gal reef, 40 gal reef, 2-20 gal clownfish tanks which were also reefs.
phender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2019, 11:47 AM   #14
OrionN
Moved on

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 05/29/2019, 04:47 PM   #15
hottuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phender View Post
Mine seemed to do best in an area of alternating flow of a lot of water, but out of a big pipe. So, in other words, a lot of water but at a slower velocity. Modern wave makers that set up a standing wave in the tank would be perfect for gigs in my opinion.
I got my purple on one end of a 75 gal on the opposite end is a gyre set a 50% constant flow...on the side where the nem is ..another gyre set at 30% alternating pulse mode....when the left pulses it creates a nice surge above the nem..no "getting pounded"...more like alot of water moving it nicely back n forth...with a strong surge every so often..
I think some of the flow pictures I see with gigs on here are un-natural at best..

Unread 05/29/2019, 06:12 PM   #16
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottuna View Post
I got my purple on one end of a 75 gal on the opposite end is a gyre set a 50% constant flow...on the side where the nem is ..another gyre set at 30% alternating pulse mode....when the left pulses it creates a nice surge above the nem..no "getting pounded"...more like alot of water moving it nicely back n forth...with a strong surge every so often..
I think some of the flow pictures I see with gigs on here are un-natural at best..

while I cannot say for certain that I replicate flow in the wild, I did bring the condition of this anemone from the first picture below to current as in the video I posted in just 2 months. IMO, my anemone show here is as healthy as he can be. I would not hesitant to compare his health to any other Gigantea in the wild, and would come out even or almost even.

2/24/2019

5/7/2019

5/26/2019

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PetcoGigantea2019032401resized.jpg (106.5 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg PetcoGigantea2019050701resized.jpg (106.1 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg PetcoGigantea2019052604resized.jpg (108.5 KB, 80 views)

Unread 06/21/2019, 10:10 AM   #17
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Is it possible for you to post a picture of the flow you provide for your Gigantea? I would love to see it. I alway try to find better way to do something. I often use Vortech. The most often configuration is to have two at opposite side at random flow. I like the flow meet just at or near where the anemone is. I often find that this is the best for both Gigantea and Magnifica

Unread 06/21/2019, 11:59 AM   #18
hottuna
Registered Member

I tried 3 times to post a video as an attachment ...and this damn site keeps kicking it out !!

try this link . No negative cracks,please...

https://video-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/...=5D0E7E92&dl=1

Unread 06/21/2019, 12:05 PM   #19
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
I tried 3 times to post a video as an attachment ...and this damn site keeps kicking it out !!
You can save yourself a lot of headaches by just uploading the video to Youtube and then adding the 'embedded' link here. Just make sure to set the video's privacy to 'public' or 'unlisted'.

BTW, how did you get the percula and bicinctus to get along with each other?

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2019, 12:56 PM   #20
OrionN
Moved on

Agree with ThRoewer.
Nice looking anemones.

This is one of a video of my anemones. I find my anemones seem to do better with more flow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-Ib...ature=youtu.be

Unread 06/21/2019, 02:01 PM   #21
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Agree with ThRoewer.
Nice looking anemones.

This is one of a video of my anemones. I find my anemones seem to do better with more flow.
I feel my giganteas look like they prefer a milder flow.

BTW, do you have your giganteas sitting inside rock crevices or on flat surfaces?
My feeling is that they actually prefer to sit at a rock-sand or rock-rubble boundary with their foot on the rock below the sand/rubble.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 06/21/2019, 04:33 PM   #22
hottuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Agree with ThRoewer.
Nice looking anemones.

I've seen that video before as well as another one of your vids where it looks like the gigs are holding on for dear life. you must have great water in the town you live in or a deep well drawing from a good aquifer...

Unread 06/21/2019, 04:43 PM   #23
hottuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
You can save yourself a lot of headaches by just uploading the video to Youtube and then adding the 'embedded' link here. Just make sure to set the video's privacy to 'public' or 'unlisted'.

BTW, how did you get the percula and bicinctus to get along with each other?

After playing with clown pairs for the past 40 yrs I've found- They either do or they don't -this trio worked. other times I've tried it it was a death wish. Pink skunks are docile -so i've mixed them with percs successfully in the past...introduced the perc when he was very small (tiny) and it all worked out so far...when he sexually matures -we'll see what happens....

Unread 06/21/2019, 05:14 PM   #24
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
[/B]

After playing with clown pairs for the past 40 yrs I've found- They either do or they don't -this trio worked. other times I've tried it it was a death wish. Pink skunks are docile -so i've mixed them with percs successfully in the past...introduced the perc when he was very small (tiny) and it all worked out so far...when he sexually matures -we'll see what happens....
OK, so that percula is just a single one flying under the radar...
I'm kind of contemplating if I could put two pairs into one tank as long as each has a different host anemone the other isn't found in in the wild. Like Maroons (BTA) and percula (gigantea). But in the confined space of a 40B that might end ugly in any case...

Unread 06/21/2019, 06:00 PM   #25
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
I feel my giganteas look like they prefer a milder flow.

BTW, do you have your giganteas sitting inside rock crevices or on flat surfaces?
My feeling is that they actually prefer to sit at a rock-sand or rock-rubble boundary with their foot on the rock below the sand/rubble.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
My Gigantea are all over the place. They tend to hide their foot in a crevice. If the rock is too smooth they tend to retreated their foot to the sand crevice between the rock and sand. Otherwise they tend to stay in a crack or in a crevice between two rock, or in the crack of a montipora cap crevice. They do not have their foot exposed like Magnifica IME.

I had a Ocellaris trio and a Pink Skunk pair in my 450 with several Magnifica in the past. Early 2000 time frame. Two mature pairs but relatively docile pair in a huge tank with separate hosts