Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/26/2015, 10:12 AM   #1
mfinn
Registered Member

Different Lyretail Anthias?

I was wondering if there were any differences between Indian Ocean Lyretail Anthias and Indonesian or Fiji Lyretail Anthias?

I see the Indian Ocean Lyretails have a separate category on liveaquaria.

Anyone know what the differences would be?

Unread 12/26/2015, 10:21 AM   #2
TangingOut
Registered Member

I think the main difference is seen in the male. Indian ocean is predominately orange with red and Fiji is a mix of purple/orange/red.

TangingOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2015, 11:01 AM   #3
mfinn
Registered Member

I'm also wondering besides appearance, if there are differences in hardiness?

Unread 12/26/2015, 11:26 AM   #4
twon8
Formally registered membe

Different Lyretail Anthias?

The females from the Indian Ocean seem to be a brighter orange

Here is an Indian Ocean male

Not building a wall but making a brick

Current Tank Info: 300g DD display, 60g frag tank

Last edited by twon8; 12/26/2015 at 11:38 AM.
twon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2015, 11:40 AM   #5
davocean
Registered Member

The fiji males are purple, Indian Ocean red.
I'm not sure I'd agree either of the females are more orange, but the Indian ocean variety have a blue line around the eye, and I think that makes them prettier.
I actually have 4 Indian ocean females, and a fiji male, which for me seems the best of both worlds, as long as it stays this way and none of the females turn.
I don't think there is a difference in hardiness.
Diet will also be a factor in colors, a varied diet and multiple feedings help to keep them their brightest.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2015, 11:49 AM   #6
mfinn
Registered Member

I had some a short while ago and some of them had almost electric blue around the eye.
Is that from a certain area, or diet?

Unread 12/26/2015, 12:46 PM   #7
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
the Indian ocean variety have a blue line around the eye, and I think that makes them prettier.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2015, 06:30 PM   #8
twon8
Formally registered membe

Not building a wall but making a brick

Current Tank Info: 300g DD display, 60g frag tank
twon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2017, 07:45 PM   #9
Buddy55
Registered Member

I wanted to put my two cents in on this. This thread is not too old and it came up in a search. I had the brighter Indian Ocean female who was doing well. I planned to keep her alone but wrasse tend to attack single females in my experience. So I ordered more females from the same supplier and the Fiji females came in. I went ahead and put them in and it is very easy to tell the difference between the females. The Fiji females are not as bright or orange, more red. They would not comingle and the Fiji would not eat hardly. They got skinnier and the Indian Ocean female got bigger, but not because she was turning into a male. After three months all the Fiji died and the Indian Ocean female is alone but more Hardy now. Still as female as could be. I am going to get some Indian Ocean females from LiveAquaria so that I know what I'm getting. I had a bad experience with the Fiji.

Unread 12/12/2018, 08:27 PM   #10
JsL30629
Registered Member

Reviving this thread as I was doing research. A Dr Foster Smith representative posted this reply:

"There are numerous species of marine fishes that have a broad range across the world. The Lyretail Anthias is one such fish that can be found throughout the Central and South Pacific Ocean, Indonesia and Philippines, and in the Indian Ocean and up to the Red Sea. Although the females of these fish from around the world look very similar, with slight variation in the hue of their orange coloration, males from these three distinct regions look different. For this reason some marine biologists and taxonomists have segregated these fishes from each region. All three of the fish listed below can be found in the two books listed below:

Basslets Hamlets and their Relatives, A Comprehensive Guide to Selected Serranidae and Plesiopidae- Rudie H. Kuiter, TMC Publishing 2004.

World Atlas of Marine Fishes- Rudie H Kuiter, Helmut Debelius, IKAN Publishing 2006.

Indian Ocean Lyretail Anthias- Pseudanthias squamipinnis- Formerly Serranus (Anthias) squamipinnis, Peters, 1855.

These fish are prevalent in the Indian Ocean from the East Coast of Africa, up to the Red Sea and over to Maldives and Sri Lanka. Males of this species have a long filament off of the first dorsal spine, deep lunate tail, and are vivid purple/red coloration with yellow and orange on their sides.

Indonesian Lyretail Anthias- Pseudanthias cheirospilos- Formerly Anthias cheirospilos, Bleeker, 1857.

These fish are prevalent in both Indonesia and the Philippines, Males of this species are reddish/purple with yellow outlining their scales in the sides of the fish back to the caudal peduncle, a bluish anal fin, and a blue outline on the edge of the caudal fin which is more truncated that their Indian Ocean counterpart.

Fiji Lyretail Anthias- Pseudanthias cf cheirospilos- Broken out from Anthias cheirospilos with the abbreviation cf which stand for resembles or looks like, and appears to be an undescribed species.

These fish are abundant in the Coral Sea, Papua New Guinea, and over to the Central and South Pacific. Males are mostly purple, and young males have a yellow anal fin, and the entire caudal fin is blue, and not as deeply lunate as their Indonesian counterpart. These fish lack the yellow markings or spots on their sides.

The care for all of these fishes listed above is identical. They require a large aquarium with plenty of swimming space, and frequent feedings of meaty foods such as enriched frozen mysis and enriched frozen brine shrimp. We feed all Anthias offered in the Divers Den section of the LiveAquaria.com web site 6-8 times per day."

JsL30629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2018, 02:46 AM   #11
Apercula
Registered Member

My Maldives pair, the male changed from female after purchase.

Divers Den picture of the trio, the male in the picture died in quarantine and one of the females changed to the male above.

Apercula is offline   Reply With Quote