Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/21/2017, 11:30 PM   #151
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
I’ve used ozone on and off for over 20 years. There was an article I read many years back that discussed it but one of the reasons is that Lignite carbon is more porous and has a greater surface area as a result. This is why BRS indicated that is softer. It’s porous nature makes it that way. The greater surface area and porous nature of lignite make it very efficient at removing excess O3. It’s also lower in phosphates than other carbons. There were other reasons as well but I honestly don’t remember that. I always rinse my carbon and when I ran my ozone reactor, that was no exception. You don’t run high flow through the ozone reactor so carbon dust should never be an issue. Lignite carbon is also inexpensive and since you use a pretty fair amount of it in the reactor, that is a good thing. And yes, I changed my ozone reactor carbon about once a month. Since ozone oxidizes organics, the carbon catches some of that and I would venture to guess that the ozone also has an impact on the effectiveness of the carbon over time.
Makes sense. I went ahead and ordered a full gallon of Lignite carbon this evening from BRS. Thanks for the background info Scott. I appreciate it.

ReefKeeper64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 02:18 PM   #152
xabo
Registered Member

Set up the DC200 this past Friday............here's what I have today one week later:

IMG_0542 by john briscoe, on Flickr

IMG_0544 by john briscoe, on Flickr

IMG_0545 by john briscoe, on Flickr

Sitting in 11" of water..........will make a stand to raise up. Speed 32W.

xabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 02:31 PM   #153
xabo
Registered Member

Does this look about right?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3uUcAldRGk

Unread 12/09/2017, 08:59 PM   #154
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabo View Post
Does this look about right?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3uUcAldRGk
Looks good but I think you can lower the level in the skimmer a bit as you are skimming pretty wet. I’d likely drop the pump speed a couple watts or at the very least, open the wedge pipe a bit.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 10:56 PM   #155
Confuse
Registered Member

This is my Frankenskimmer!

After my 150g tank crash last year, my bioload was dramatically reduced and my DC 200 became inconsistent. Back when I started the hobby, I bought an RE Alpha 170....WITHOUT the Red Dragon pump! Big mistake! That skimmer never faired too well without its designed pump, so I put the body in storage for years. Until a few weeks ago when I asked Scott if he thought the RD3 from my DC 200 would work on the 170 body....he said yes and to my surprise it has! There is still some fine tuning to do, but the skimmate is a lot more consistent due to the smaller neck size. I was amazed by the versatility of the RD3 as it's used on the DC 180 to the 250 and now on my Alpha 170 and it works! It made it super easy to adjust the foam head with the slight voltage increments. And here it is....

Confuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 11:47 AM   #156
xabo
Registered Member

Quote:
Looks good but I think you can lower the level in the skimmer a bit as you are skimming pretty wet. I’d likely drop the pump speed a couple watts or at the very least, open the wedge pipe a bit.
Redid the setup. Made a stand for the skimmer, it now sits in 8-1/2" of water.
Pipe is wide open pump speed is 32.

Unread 12/10/2017, 12:51 PM   #157
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Redid the setup. Made a stand for the skimmer, it now sits in 8-1/2" of water.
Pipe is wide open pump speed is 32.
Once it settles back in you will likely need to close the wedge pipe some. I would aim to have the line where bubbles turn to foam at the white collar where the cup attaches to the body. That would be your driest skim setting. If the foam is rising up the neck really fast, you could go lower or just lower the pump speed a little bit. You obviosly will want to play with the level and speed until you get it where you like it. Every tank and load is different and there is a lot of flexibility in tuning between setting the level and speed.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 12/10/2017, 12:53 PM   #158
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuse View Post
This is my Frankenskimmer!

After my 150g tank crash last year, my bioload was dramatically reduced and my DC 200 became inconsistent. Back when I started the hobby, I bought an RE Alpha 170....WITHOUT the Red Dragon pump! Big mistake! That skimmer never faired too well without its designed pump, so I put the body in storage for years. Until a few weeks ago when I asked Scott if he thought the RD3 from my DC 200 would work on the 170 body....he said yes and to my surprise it has! There is still some fine tuning to do, but the skimmate is a lot more consistent due to the smaller neck size. I was amazed by the versatility of the RD3 as it's used on the DC 180 to the 250 and now on my Alpha 170 and it works! It made it super easy to adjust the foam head with the slight voltage increments. And here it is....

That pump will kick some serious butt on that skimmer. Looking forward to hearing your long term feedback on it.

Unread 12/10/2017, 01:19 PM   #159
xabo
Registered Member

Quote:
Once it settles back in you will likely need to close the wedge pipe some. I would aim to have the line where bubbles turn to foam at the white collar where the cup attaches to the body. That would be your driest skim setting. If the foam is rising up the neck really fast, you could go lower or just lower the pump speed a little bit. You obviosly will want to play with the level and speed until you get it where you like it. Every tank and load is different and there is a lot of flexibility in tuning between setting the level and speed.
Okay Thanks...........will keep you posted.

On another note, my bio load is light. I have Three (3) Tangs about 5"-6" each and a small Butterfly.

Unread 12/10/2017, 01:22 PM   #160
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Okay Thanks...........will keep you posted.

On another note, my bio load is light. I have Three (3) Tangs about 5"-6" each and a small Butterfly.
That definiately is a very light load for that skimmer. You will end up having to run it a bit wet to keep it consistent.

Unread 12/13/2017, 12:50 PM   #161
xabo
Registered Member

Quote:
That definiately is a very light load for that skimmer. You will end up having to run it a bit wet to keep it consistent.
I have to say..........I've owned several skimmers over the years....EuroReef, H&S, Deltec, Lifereef to name a few. This is the first time (that I can remember) that I've seen chunks and gunks of product in the skimmer cup especially while skimming wet.

Unread 12/13/2017, 01:49 PM   #162
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I have to say..........I've owned several skimmers over the years....EuroReef, H&S, Deltec, Lifereef to name a few. This is the first time (that I can remember) that I've seen chunks and gunks of product in the skimmer cup especially while skimming wet.
I guess that means you are loving your new skimmer!

Glad to hear it's working well for you!

Unread 12/13/2017, 02:12 PM   #163
xabo
Registered Member

Blown away!

Unread 01/10/2018, 05:12 PM   #164
Asco1104
Registered Member

Hi everyone I’m upgrading my vectra m1 and reef octopus 150 elite for a 200 double cone rd3 and a 80w rd3 return.

What’s a good setting for the wedge and pump wattage to start of with?
I read 22cm of water is a optimum height, mine is 26cm so am I best to raise the skimmer up?

Tanks a 750l with about 26 fish

Current sump pic before the new bk goes in, I’m going to a serious tidy up in there first.

Cheers Tim

Asco1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2018, 05:51 PM   #165
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asco1104 View Post
Hi everyone I’m upgrading my vectra m1 and reef octopus 150 elite for a 200 double cone rd3 and a 80w rd3 return.

What’s a good setting for the wedge and pump wattage to start of with?
I read 22cm of water is a optimum height, mine is 26cm so am I best to raise the skimmer up?

Tanks a 750l with about 26 fish

Current sump pic before the new bk goes in, I’m going to a serious tidy up in there first.

Cheers Tim
Beautiful setup!! The tank is stunning!

Unread 01/13/2018, 01:18 PM   #166
Asco1104
Registered Member

Quote:
Beautiful setup!! The tank is stunning!

Thanks it’s getting there now. Pic from today

Cheers Tim

Asco1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 09:38 AM   #167
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Lately my bubble King has been in complete sync , pulling out some of the nastiest skimmate I have ever seen !

I have used many skimmers from Deltec, Vertex to reef Octopus but bubble King seems to be in a league of its own !

No wonder you pay so much for such amazing craftsmanship and capability .
This is just in less than 36 hrs of complete cleaning and skimmer is in lowest setting to skim dry !!! And over a 85 gallon acro dominated system fed 4 times a day with only 12 fishes !

Funny bunch we are - getting excited over poop

Slief , you think i need to upgrade to mini 180 with RD3 pump or the DC 150 is better suited ? Am concerned about pushing the limits over my heavily fed tank .

Regards,
Abhishek

abhishek@1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 09:45 AM   #168
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Abhishek -
Looking real good!
Which Skimmer are you running? Double Cone 150?

The smallest skimmers with the RD3 pumps are Mini 200 or Double Cone 180, the RD3’s are just both too Lage in size, and have too much flow/air for the smaller bodies.

Current Tank Info: RS Reefer 450
ReefClownMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 10:01 AM   #169
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefClownMIA View Post
Abhishek -
Looking real good!
Which Skimmer are you running? Double Cone 150?

The smallest skimmers with the RD3 pumps are Mini 200 or Double Cone 180, the RD3’s are just both too Lage in size, and have too much flow/air for the smaller bodies.
Thanks for the reply Marco !! Yes double cone 150 over a 85-90 gallon acro dominated tank with 12 fishes fed around 4 times a day .

I went with the D.C. 150 as the pump is outside as opposed to mini 160 making it easier to clean .

Will a mini 180 at lowest setting be too much for the tank ?

Regards,
Abhishek

abhishek@1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 12:48 PM   #170
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek@1985 View Post
Thanks for the reply Marco !! Yes double cone 150 over a 85-90 gallon acro dominated tank with 12 fishes fed around 4 times a day .

I went with the D.C. 150 as the pump is outside as opposed to mini 160 making it easier to clean .

Will a mini 180 at lowest setting be too much for the tank ?

Regards,
Abhishek
I think your double cone 150 is just fine. No need to upgrade on a tank that size as this skimmer is more than up to the task of that size tank with that few fish and it's obviously doing a very good job for you. A Mini 160 would also work but again, your skimmer is performing great as evidenced by the skimmate. A Double Cone 180 would be too large given your light load and unless you doubled the number of fish in your display, it would likely end up being inconsistent where as this skimmer that you have now could still handle a handful more fish without issue.

Unread 02/18/2018, 05:02 PM   #171
jwilliams860
Registered Member

I am starting a Red Sea Reefer build. I got a good deal on a roller mat (not Royal Exclusiv) so I thought Id give it a shot, I found a sump tank that the roller mat was made for (not Royal Exclusiv) and I bought it. Due to the predesigned color of the sump my BK mini 160 looked out of place so I did some customizing.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ble bk mini.jpg (65.1 KB, 52 views)
jwilliams860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2018, 02:35 PM   #172
Maticed
Registered Member

Question;

if water starts pouring out the hole where the airline is going in the tube does that mean the water level is to high in the skimmer and I should open the pipe a bit more?

Maticed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2018, 03:03 PM   #173
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticed View Post
Question;

if water starts pouring out the hole where the airline is going in the tube does that mean the water level is to high in the skimmer and I should open the pipe a bit more?
Per my reply to your post in the other thread.
I think you need to take the pump apart and inspect the impeller and likely clean the pump per the instructions in the thread below. . Also make sure there are no blockages in the venturi intake at the pump. Cap off the ozone port as well. And also make sure you rinse and dry out the foam filter in the silencer. I think you need to take the pump apart and inspect the impeller. Also make sure there are no blockages in the venturi intake at the pump. Cap off the ozone port as well. And also make sure you rinse and dry out the foam filter in the silencer. You don’t want it plugged up with dried out salt if water made up in there and you may also need to clean the tubes inside the silencer.. To get the bubbles up, you need to close the wedge pipe more. That is how you adjust the level inside the skimmer. Not with the pump speed as you are doing now. The pump speed is used to get the most dense foam. I’d suggest 18-22 watts as a starting point. You may however need to increase the sump depth a bit. I’d suggest 8.5”-9” of depth. Maybe has high a 9.5” depending on whether you need to close the wedge more than 50%. This will be dependant on your bio load as well as the speed you settle in on with the pump.

Cleaning instructions here:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2573406

Last edited by slief; 03/17/2018 at 03:09 PM.
Unread 09/11/2018, 12:59 AM   #174
AdrianOcampo
Registered Member

Bringing this thread back to life with a question!

I'm setting up a 180 gal display tank and was thinking of going with the supermarin 250. But after speaking to a Rep at MACNA last weekend, he told me that 250 would be too large for my tank and i should go with a deluxe 200 or supermarin 200 instead.

However, I am not sure if I should be leaning towards the supermarin or deluxe version. Whats the main difference? Which would you guys suggest?
Thanks in advance!

AdrianOcampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2018, 07:55 AM   #175
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianOcampo View Post
Bringing this thread back to life with a question!

I'm setting up a 180 gal display tank and was thinking of going with the supermarin 250. But after speaking to a Rep at MACNA last weekend, he told me that 250 would be too large for my tank and i should go with a deluxe 200 or supermarin 200 instead.

However, I am not sure if I should be leaning towards the supermarin or deluxe version. Whats the main difference? Which would you guys suggest?
Thanks in advance!
That was likely me you spoke to. The Deluxe offers more fine tuning due to the combination of the telescope tube and wedge pipe. The Supermarin has only the wedge pipe. The Deluxe offers a bit more contact time too due to the body design. Both are constructed of the same very heavy acrylic with hand welded seams. And yes, the SM250 would be way too large for your display and wouldn’t be consistent.