Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 01/05/2008, 02:24 AM   #301
Kigs
Moved On

Does anyone else other than Puffpunk have some progression shots? This is an interesting concept and I would love to try it, especially after losing few of my favorite morphs within the last couple of days due to fungus.

Unread 01/05/2008, 02:53 AM   #302
customanimalart
Registered Member

I took my skimmer down for a cleaning and have not put it back on yet. Should I do so right way when dosing the vit c?
I have alot of nutrients in my tank despite phosban reactor w phosban/carbon combo.
I just rcently got VERY lazy as I have been suffering from an illness (fibromyalgia...not as if anybody really cares =D) and had not done weekly water changes as needed. I also feed too well.
So, I cut down on the feeding and changed 10g last week (55g tank) and plan another 10 in a few days. I don't want to overskim as I only have softies, star polyps and zoas and the zoas like the nutrients. Unfortunately, so do my aiptasis!!!!!!!!!! Isn't there a pill you can drop in their disc that will kill them? WAPITA they are!

Should I hook the skimmer back on?

Current Tank Info: 55g reef, 12g QT, and 55g frag tank.
Unread 01/05/2008, 03:29 AM   #303
madadi
ReefOG

if you like to feed a lot, just like i do, i would put the skimmer back. specially with not so regular water changes, they do like more nutrients in the water then most SPS corals but still don't like a lot of nitrates which it seems you are heading in that direction if you don't stop being lazy
of course there are skimmer less tanks but im sure they keep up with water changes and feed sparingly.

LETS TRADE YUMAS

Current Tank Info: Glass box.
Unread 01/05/2008, 10:55 AM   #304
H.a.Z
Registered Member

Anyone tried the products Coral-Vite or Marine-C from Kent Marine? Or know of similar products? Could these work as well as the tablets?

Unread 01/05/2008, 12:15 PM   #305
Pufferpunk
Moved On

I don't think there is nearly as much C in those products as I am dosing. and why spend that kind of $$$ when I can get generic C?

customanimalart, sorry you are suffering. I have a friend with that ailment. I've been hearing some commertials lately about a drug for that.

Unread 01/05/2008, 02:32 PM   #306
geoxman
Premium Member

H.a.Z You can probably find a generic vitamin C at a health food store. I am sure you must have those types of stores in Norway, they might not be called "health food stores" but any pharmacy should have it readily available, as well. good luck

Current Tank Info: an ice cube tray with brine shrimp in each cubicle
Unread 01/05/2008, 03:32 PM   #307
H.a.Z
Registered Member

I'll check, I have a hunch you might get them at pharmacy now.

Couple of years back you needed prescription I know, heh.

Unread 01/05/2008, 03:56 PM   #308
angry.clownfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pufferpunk
I know lots of folks were asking for before & after pics & I actually did find an old pic of my Tubb's Blues, the whole purpose of my looking for a cure to this problem. I refused to lose these beauties!

Before:

After (today, 2 months later):

See all the new babies on the bottom? Everything's growing like that now!

SOLD! I'll start tonight! awesome recovery.

THX!

Unread 01/06/2008, 01:14 AM   #309
crazy_reefing
Moved On

I have a 120 - how much Vitamin C should I add to my tank and how often?
TIA

Unread 01/06/2008, 03:15 AM   #310
Pufferpunk
Moved On

There is a good article that describes dosing on page 1.

Unread 01/06/2008, 08:42 AM   #311
customanimalart
Registered Member

Love those Tubs! Wanna share? =)

Current Tank Info: 55g reef, 12g QT, and 55g frag tank.
Unread 01/06/2008, 03:07 PM   #312
Pufferpunk
Moved On

I actually fragged them for the 1st time yesterday. they were such slow growerds & then when they started melting, there was no fragging to be done with them. I fragged off 3 extra polyps & put them on a plug. Let's see how they do on there...

Last edited by Pufferpunk; 01/06/2008 at 03:14 PM.
Unread 01/07/2008, 12:50 AM   #313
Achapman
Premium Member

Current Tank Info: 180RR w/55g sump - ASD 8.2 Skimmer - 3 Lumenbright Larges with 12k Reeflux on Icecap ballasts.
Unread 01/07/2008, 12:50 AM   #314
Pufferpunk
Moved On

How are they?

Unread 01/07/2008, 01:54 AM   #315
islandcreation
Moved On

Pufferpunk,

I just began dosing yesterday 2,000mg twice a day for a 75 gallon tank. The first day everything went fine. Today, I smelt crap so I thought my puppy crapped somewhere so I looked around (he was sleeping). So I thought he just farted ha,ha,ha I actually did think that (2 pound yorkie). Then I noticed it smelt like skim.... I opened up the stand and there was my G3 overflowing! Hmmm... What did you do inorder to by pass this problem. Even at the lowest setting the bubbles didn't collapse in the skimmer cup and started coming out of the sides? Anyone have any fixes here, Please chime in. Thanks

Unread 01/07/2008, 02:10 AM   #316
Pufferpunk
Moved On

1st of all, you are starting out using way too much Vitamin C. I am dosing that much on a 100g syctem & it took me weeks to build up to that amount. I hope you are keeping an eye on your pH. I just read a post by a fellow that dropped 1000mg into his 15g tank (against my better judgement) & a buch of creatures died. I wonder what his pH was? This is an acid guys! We can't just dump a ton of this stuff into our tanks at once & not expcet something to happen.

I must also stress that I add sodium bicorbanate (baking soda) daily to my tank to keep my alk around 8.5-9. This neutralizes the acid from the C, which is why my pH has never fluctuated. If you aren't dosing Alk regularly like I am, you really need to keep a close eye on your pH. Another fellow I'm working with on this, uses a calcium reactor & his pH dropped down to 4 after dosing C. He now dilutes the C into a container & brings the pH up in the container to what is normal for his tank with baking soda, before dosing.

As far as the skimmer--my G2 never functioned the way I felt it should, so now that I'm dosing, it finally is. I clean the cup 2-3x/week, instead of 1x. Have you modded yours at all?

Last edited by Pufferpunk; 01/07/2008 at 02:18 AM.
Unread 01/07/2008, 02:25 AM   #317
islandcreation
Moved On

Quote:
1st of all, you are starting out using way too much Vitamin C. I am dosing that much on a 100g syctem & it took me weeks to build up to that amount. I hope you are keeping an eye on your pH. I just read a post by a fellow that dropped 1000mg into his 15g tank (against my better judgement) & a buch of creatures died. I wonder what his pH was? This is an acid guys! We can't just dump a ton of this stuff into our tanks at once & not expcet something to happen.

I must also stress that I add sodium bicorbanate (baking soda) daily to my tank to keep my alk around 8.5-9. This neutralizes the acid from the C, which is why my pH has never fluctuated. If you aren't dosing Alk like I am, you really need to keep a close eye on your pH. Another fellow I'm working with on this, uses a calcium reactor & his pH dropped down to 4 after dosing C. He now dilutes the C into a container & brings the pH up in the container to what is normal for his tank with baking soda, before dosing.

As far as the skimmer--my G2 never functioned the way I felt it should, so now that I'm dosing, it finally is. I clean the cup 2-3x/week, instead of 1x. Have you modded yours at all?
I dosed my high for two reasons. I put my vitamin C in my filter sock where my overflow water goes directly in, afterwards I have carbon all around the sump so its hard to go around that. I could if I dosed directly into the tnk which I'm not willing to do. Second my skimmers there too, my thinking is the carbon and skimmer will reduce the vitamin C in the water circulation. I tested my PH and my overall parameters and everythings fine. But then again I did a 10% water change so that could be a huge factor. I'll reduce my dosing and be cautious.

For my G3, no modes. I've been skimming thick stinky skimabout a cup per week. I wanted to mod the impeller and put mesh for finner bulbs but thats a luxury mod for now. I guess I don't think its a NEEDED mod if everything going well. If I'm bored and have nothing to do then I'm sure I'll do it. Thanks for the heads up on reducing thr dosing. Thanks

Unread 01/07/2008, 02:27 AM   #318
Pufferpunk
Moved On

How'd you fit a G3 under your tank? You must have a really tall stand. Why are you using so much carbon? You might want to look into Purigen instead.

Unread 01/07/2008, 02:33 AM   #319
islandcreation
Moved On

Quote:
How'd you fit a G3 under your tank? You must have a really tall stand. Why are you using so much carbon? You might want to look into Purigen instead.
Yeah, tank stand is prett tall. I'll look into purigen. Thanks

Here's the tanks and stand.

And here's my frag tank being setup. The bigger tank and this tanks door is held by magnets for easy access.

Unread 01/07/2008, 04:30 PM   #320
RoyalEnchntrss
Registered Member

Sold! Im going to start dosing tonight. I'm having a horrible problem with everything in my tank but my fish! my calcium was down so i started dosing and now that my levels are back where they should be (and all my SPS are dead ) my Zoas have started dying.. Ricky(fins) informed me i could have some dormant bugs that have now come out and started eating them and i have noticed some baby starfish roaming around so I was so excited to see this! I'm off to see what we have now. Ill take pics for before and after.. My tank has been disgusting me lately so now maybe this will turn things around!

Unread 01/07/2008, 04:48 PM   #321
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Are you dosing alk too now?

Unread 01/07/2008, 07:37 PM   #322
Achapman
Premium Member

Quote:
How are they?
The blues and the ones with the orange skirts are still closed, hopefully they come around.

Unread 01/07/2008, 07:54 PM   #323
RoyalEnchntrss
Registered Member

Quote:
Are you dosing alk too now?
yes i was until they all leveled out and theyve been good for a couple weeks.. If I read right this is going to mess with that too right? lol

Unread 01/07/2008, 09:17 PM   #324
Pufferpunk
Moved On

If you only have a few corals they may not be using up much alk. Just keep on eye on that for the next month (testing for alk & pH), while dosing the C. Once you have built up your dosing to the max amount you want to dose
(see: http://www.athiel.com/lib2/pguide/vitami1.html), you'll know how much alk you need to add daily, to keep your parameters steady. If you build up your collection of corals again, of course that will change.

Unread 01/07/2008, 09:40 PM   #325
RoyalEnchntrss
Registered Member

Yea I guess that won't be much of a problem then because I lost most of my SPS and I'm hoping the few I have left make it through all of this. I'm really excited about all of this actually working! I just wish I would have seen this thread a couple weeks ago.