Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/08/2017, 08:55 AM   #1
codydemmel4
Registered Member

What 2 part do you use and why?

So I am about to be out of my BRS 2 part, have a little over a week left. I have never been really moved by it so I am looking into different options.

I am leaning towards ATI Essentials as it seems most tanks have strived to another level after starting it. I am interested to see what the reefers on here are using, that arnt using a CaRx or what you used before you started using a CaRx?

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 09:51 AM   #2
Cheapreef
Registered Member

I went with the ATI Essentials with my new setup (6 weeks in) and I'm super happy with it. Corals have never looked as good as they do now.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 01:28 PM   #3
reefmutt
Registered Member

I am not familiar with many of the two parts on the market but I take care of an sps reef using Seachem’s and I am very happy with it.. I tend to need to use more alk than calcium but that’s not necessarily because of the product..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 04:04 PM   #4
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Baking Soda and Calcium Chloride will get you the same thing for a fraction of the money.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 04:45 PM   #5
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
Baking Soda and Calcium Chloride will get you the same thing for a fraction of the money.
Well.. not exactly the same thing..
This from Seachem’s website:
Reef Fusion 1™ provides not only 100,000 mg/L of ionic calcium, but also includes biologically appropriate levels of magnesium, strontium, boron, iron, manganese, and molybdenum.

So, yes it could be debated whether these added elements are necessary or beneficial, there is a difference.
In systems where water changes are infrequent and/or a refugium is used, the added elements may be worth it to some.

I’m pretty sure but not certain, Ati also adds a recipe to their calcium additive..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 04:48 PM   #6
codydemmel4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapreef View Post
I went with the ATI Essentials with my new setup (6 weeks in) and I'm super happy with it. Corals have never looked as good as they do now.

awesome, good to hear!
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
I am not familiar with many of the two parts on the market but I take care of an sps reef using Seachem’s and I am very happy with it.. I tend to need to use more alk than calcium but that’s not necessarily because of the product..
I will have to take a look into Seachems
Quote:
I do not believe this is true, because of the same reasons Matt said below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Well.. not exactly the same thing..
This from Seachem’s website:
Reef Fusion 1™ provides not only 100,000 mg/L of ionic calcium, but also includes biologically appropriate levels of magnesium, strontium, boron, iron, manganese, and molybdenum.

So, yes it could be debated whether these added elements are necessary or beneficial, there is a difference.
In systems where water changes are infrequent and/or a refugium is used, the added elements may be worth it to some.

I’m pretty sure but not certain, Ati also adds a recipe to their calcium additive..
Yeah ATI, has added elements to both the calcium and mag mix which is why I am thinking of switching to it to get some extra elements that I personally do think are good, maybe not needed but I think they could add extra color or growth potential.

That is just from threads that use ATI essentials, I think CaRx is the best but I do not have enough uptake for that yet.

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Unread 12/08/2017, 06:08 PM   #7
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Then don't call it two part. That is something different that could end up with some issues if you don't need to add that stuff - there is no way to know if you need the magnesium and strontium since the addition is not balanced. Iron could be bad in large doses, but I doubt that they put too much in there - iron is not even in the balanced CaRx output.

If you are not testing for any of those, I would not add them. However, this is not likely to be a big deal if you change water, but if you change water, then you don't need to dose them anyway.

Unread 12/08/2017, 09:02 PM   #8
chaudhry
Registered Member

I have been making my own 2 part according to Randy Holmes recipe for last 4 years. Really happy with results.
Though in my second tank I recently started using Kalk mixed in ato, have to say it seem to out perform 2 part. Happy as well that my low ph issue has resolved as well.
I am to a point, where i am thinking of using kalk in both tanks now. Though not a big fan of kalk reactor due to risks involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chaudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 11:30 PM   #9
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Then don't call it two part. That is something different that could end up with some issues if you don't need to add that stuff - there is no way to know if you need the magnesium and strontium since the addition is not balanced. Iron could be bad in large doses, but I doubt that they put too much in there - iron is not even in the balanced CaRx output.

If you are not testing for any of those, I would not add them. However, this is not likely to be a big deal if you change water, but if you change water, then you don't need to dose them anyway.
Lol That's why if you do the ATI system you send your water in for ICP testing. Same as you do with Triton, you are not supposed to do water changes on either of these systems.

Unread 12/09/2017, 09:59 AM   #10
christopherjudd
Registered Member

Esv

christopherjudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 10:24 AM   #11
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

So we are not talking about two-part, but rather an all-inclusive supplement system along with no water changes by using testing? ...or are they getting mixed together in this thread?

We need to be clear about both since they are not the same thing and it might be bad for somebody looking for a real 2-part, or the other, not to confuse the two.

What do you do with the ATI if your triton test comes back high in Iron and Manganese? Do you have to buy just plain old Calcium Chloride and Epsom Salt and just dose that for a while? ...or if the Calcium part falls behind and you need to catch up with it, but the other stuff are already at good levels? With kalk and CaRx, the output is balanced with the carbonate, so it is really hard to fall behind with one or the other... but even these folks will need to dose a tablespoon of baking soda or calcium here and there once or twice over a year, but they don't add the other stuff that comes out of the reactor. Having all of these in one bottle seems like a better idea than practice to me, but I have no idea how much they have in there... so if it is a very small amount, then likely no harm could be done, but also no good. This seems like a cash grab from these companies rather than a good, solid product where the unintended consequences could be substantial (ala most dry rock)... let the fanboys flame away.

For a pure two-part, baking soda and dowflake is as good as anything that you can get from BRS, ESV or anywhere else. $40 can get you almost a lifetime supply, or at least many years.

Unread 12/09/2017, 10:29 AM   #12
WLachnit
Registered Member

I also just use sodium bicarbonate and CaCl2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WLachnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 11:13 AM   #13
codydemmel4
Registered Member

okay, sorry for the confusion. What I meant is what do people use to maintain their alk, calc and mag.

I am still going to do water changes at least once a month with ATI if I go that route, however if they are providing excess trace elements in the dosing, I think that could be beneficial. Just like I think CaRx is much better then dosing to maintain these levels but I am not on the level of needing that yet, hopefully by summer.

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Unread 12/09/2017, 11:20 AM   #14
theshaman
Registered Member

I use esv b-ionic.
It contains some trace elements also.

theshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 11:42 AM   #15
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
So we are not talking about two-part, but rather an all-inclusive supplement system along with no water changes by using testing? ...or are they getting mixed together in this thread?

We need to be clear about both since they are not the same thing and it might be bad for somebody looking for a real 2-part, or the other, not to confuse the two.

What do you do with the ATI if your triton test comes back high in Iron and Manganese? Do you have to buy just plain old Calcium Chloride and Epsom Salt and just dose that for a while? ...or if the Calcium part falls behind and you need to catch up with it, but the other stuff are already at good levels? With kalk and CaRx, the output is balanced with the carbonate, so it is really hard to fall behind with one or the other... but even these folks will need to dose a tablespoon of baking soda or calcium here and there once or twice over a year, but they don't add the other stuff that comes out of the reactor. Having all of these in one bottle seems like a better idea than practice to me, but I have no idea how much they have in there... so if it is a very small amount, then likely no harm could be done, but also no good. This seems like a cash grab from these companies rather than a good, solid product where the unintended consequences could be substantial (ala most dry rock)... let the fanboys flame away.

For a pure two-part, baking soda and dowflake is as good as anything that you can get from BRS, ESV or anywhere else. $40 can get you almost a lifetime supply, or at least many years.
It is a 2 part (3 part actually) that contains all the trace elemnts as well, it's a proven system they have had in euroupe for awhile now.

I'm not going to try and change your mind on any of your points. I'm not a fanboy, just started the system a month and half ago since it's only been offered in Canada for 2 months now.

Unread 12/09/2017, 04:26 PM   #16
Sawen
Registered Member

Bionic ESV for me for the last ten years.

Sawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 04:59 PM   #17
dblue
Registered Member

Two Little Fishies since I can remember

Current Tank Info: 60 gallon
dblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 08:21 PM   #18
cFloor
Registered Member

I've been using ESV forever. It's getting pretty expensive to use, I should really look into something cheaper.

Instagram: @cfloorsaltwater
cFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 08:11 AM   #19
Big E
Registered Member

I've used Randy's two part for close to 10 years.

Alk- Baking soda at discount grocery stores for 50 cents a pound

Calcuum-- was Dowflake for most of it.......last 2 years Peladow. I couldn't get either this summer without paying ridiculous shipping costs, so I bought a bucket of BRS calcium.........it doesn't leave a residue so it is purer. I can't say I've seen any different results with any of them.

I do 10% weekly water changes

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 12:06 PM   #20
Crypsis
yes

Another vote for Randy’s two part. I’ve been using it since 2008 when I came across Randy’s article. It’s so much cheaper on a larger sps system. I use a ghl doser 2 which keeps my levels rock solid.

I spend the money I save on better pumps, lights etc. I think it’s a better return on my investment.

Hate to think about how much money I used to spend on aquarium brand supplements.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg A22DB57F-D8F8-4C58-98E3-62443451CEFC.jpg (102.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 46FFF0DD-C895-4630-9E85-18E786066D5A.jpg (95.7 KB, 60 views)

Current Tank Info: 180gal rimless peninsula build in progress.
Crypsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 03:45 PM   #21
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

I haves used EVS, Brightwells and BRS 2 parts with good success. I switch to kalk due to cost and easy of use with my ato.

DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 07:23 PM   #22
rocsec1
Registered Member

I use brs two part and am thinking about trying the me brand. I have to do some more research into it.

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 09:31 AM   #23
tmc1313
Registered Member

I've always used BRS two part.

Unread 12/11/2017, 09:43 AM   #24
Joe Kelley
Registered Member

Nice tank, beautiful aesthetic! I use BRS and ESV. Also all ATO is kalk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypsis View Post
Another vote for Randy’s two part. I’ve been using it since 2008 when I came across Randy’s article. It’s so much cheaper on a larger sps system. I use a ghl doser 2 which keeps my levels rock solid.

I spend the money I save on better pumps, lights etc. I think it’s a better return on my investment.

Hate to think about how much money I used to spend on aquarium brand supplements.

Unread 12/11/2017, 03:34 PM   #25
C.Eymann
Cnidaria lover

Ive been using b-ionic since 2002 and is pretty much my go-to for maintaining if not using a reactor, but I dont recommend using it to make dramatic increases of your levels as you might spike trace elements in the process.
Get close to NSW levels by doing WC or by using CaCl / NaHCO3/MgCl3 then start using b-ionic to make up for your systems daily consumption rate.

Current Tank Info: 80gal build in the works
C.Eymann is offline   Reply With Quote