Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/01/2012, 11:28 AM   #1
mgould73
Registered Member

Please help identify round brown spots on rock

I need some help trying to idenify this type of algae that is growing on a few of my live rocks. It is nowhere else in the tank/glass etc. It is round in shape. I have not yet tried to see if it comes off easily. It also seems to look like their is clear fuzz coming off of the algae.

Background of tank:

Tank is a 57G Rimlesss, been running for about 4 months.
5 Bulb Aquatinics Tx5 light fixture, bulbs 4 months old.
Weekly water changes with RO/DI 5 stage.
Run Carbon/GFO

Bioload:
1 Clown
1 Blue Reef Cromis
6x Red Leg Hermits
2x Blue Leg Hermits
About half Dozen Snails

Added Green Star polyps and a Green finger leather about 2 weeks ago.

1.025 SG
0.05 Nitrates
0.0 - 0.03 Phosphates
ALK: 10.2Dkh
Calcium :460

(tests all taken with salifert kits)

I don't have any brown algae/diatoms green hair anwhere in the tank. Corraline is growing on glass and just about compltely covering the black part of the overflow.

I found this posted on another forum, this seems to be what I may possibly have but they mention it is hair algae and I have never seen hair algae look like this in my years in reefing.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/id/dark-...zz-110538.html

Any thoughts???

Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg algae1.jpg (82.0 KB, 567 views)
File Type: jpg algae2.jpg (91.4 KB, 320 views)
mgould73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2012, 12:11 PM   #2
zigzag1
Registered Member

This looks similar to some that I had on my live rock when it was new, but to a much smaller degree than yours. I also had a considerable amount of sargassum take off at the same time also. I thought the smaller brown patches were related, or even holdfasts of the larger macro algae. Over time, past the first year with the rock, both types of algae slowed and wained, but this was near the same time my tangs were added too. Your rock looks pretty barren except this algae. Did you start with dry rock? Perhaps adding herbivores, and once the Coraline takes off it will be out competed. JMTC & GL!

Mixed Reef, started 10/2004: 6' BB 125g DT, 100lbs LR, 40g sump, Dual Ehiem 1000 returns, Eshopps dual overflow, JBJ ATO, Vertex IN-180, PM Ca reactor, 250w MH w/VHO Actinic, AC3 w/Aquasurf, Tunze 6105 pair & 40B frag tank

8 Fish, 20+ corals, shrimp, snails, worms, bugs, etc.
zigzag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2012, 12:37 PM   #3
mgould73
Registered Member

The rock or rocks that I see it mainly growing on are FHI (fish heads real reef live rock). I have a mixture of Fiji/FHI rock in the tank and it seems as of right now to only be growing on the FHI rock. I do see a small brown spot or 2 on the fiji rocks, but barely noticable. The rock in question is right smack in the middle of the tank at the bottom.

Most of the Dark Pink/Red coralline has died off on the Fiji rock's after about 2 months of starting and I see a bright/pink type now growing. I am assuming this is because of the T5's and the darker reds like lower lighting.

Corraline algae, however, is covering the entire back of the overflow, return outputs, and power heads. Hasn't taken off yet on the rocks.

Whatever that algae is, it looks terrible and I want to try to eradicate it before it comes a problem.

I will post a full tank shot.

Unread 01/01/2012, 12:52 PM   #4
mgould73
Registered Member

It is pretty barren, I have about 30 Lbs of Fiji (nothing special, was cheap) and about another 35lbs of FHI rock.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg fulltank1.jpg (86.1 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg fulltank2.jpg (91.1 KB, 145 views)
Unread 01/01/2012, 02:44 PM   #5
zigzag1
Registered Member

Normally, I would probably suggest a tang to get to munching on it. That's when mine seemed to subside. With the size of your tank, a tang would be ill advised. An urchin would surely make a meal of it though. I've heard some good things about the blue tuxedo urchins. You're already running GFO, a good thing. Keeping nutrients down would also be something I'd focus on too. Hopefully given time, herbivores, and nutrient control, yours will pass too. GL!

Mixed Reef, started 10/2004: 6' BB 125g DT, 100lbs LR, 40g sump, Dual Ehiem 1000 returns, Eshopps dual overflow, JBJ ATO, Vertex IN-180, PM Ca reactor, 250w MH w/VHO Actinic, AC3 w/Aquasurf, Tunze 6105 pair & 40B frag tank

Unread 01/02/2012, 11:46 AM   #6
mgould73
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzag1 View Post
Normally, I would probably suggest a tang to get to munching on it. That's when mine seemed to subside. With the size of your tank, a tang would be ill advised. An urchin would surely make a meal of it though. I've heard some good things about the blue tuxedo urchins. You're already running GFO, a good thing. Keeping nutrients down would also be something I'd focus on too. Hopefully given time, herbivores, and nutrient control, yours will pass too. GL!

Just an update: I tried to see if any of the brown spots would come off with a firm bristle toothbrush. The answer is a big NO. They seem hard, almost like corraline algae. If i scrub hard enough I can rub the actual color off the rock which will of course remove the algae.

Another note as I mentioned earlier it only seems to be covering the FHI artifical reef rock. It has not grown on the Fiji rock yet, or at least spread to it but it is now just about on almost every piece of FHI rock.

Need some help with this, as this looks pretty unslightly right now.

Thanks

Unread 01/02/2012, 12:04 PM   #7
zigzag1
Registered Member

I'm certain an urchin would munch on it, there isn't much they don't eat.

Unread 01/02/2012, 12:17 PM   #8
mgould73
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzag1 View Post
I'm certain an urchin would munch on it, there isn't much they don't eat.
I can stop by my LFS today and see what they have in the store as far as urchins. What concerns me the most is what kind of algae is this?

Ive read abut brown types of corraline algae, but I dont think that is what this is as the brown coraline (forgot name) has almost a shell like appearance to it.

It looks like my rock has chicken pox.

I am also going to do some water changes and reduce lighting. In case i do have a wrong reading on my phosphates (algae consuming po4). Run some more GFO.

Anyone else can chime in on what possible type of algae this may be? If an urchin doesn't help not sure what else to do.

Unread 01/02/2012, 06:56 PM   #9
cloak
Moved On

It looks kind of like lobophora. (brown wafer algae) Good luck.

cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2012, 09:13 PM   #10
rizon25
Registered Member

I have those too on my rock. It is Lobophora or brown algae. Creatures that eat them include naso tangs, sea urchins, and sally lightfoot crabs.

Unread 01/03/2012, 12:28 AM   #11
Steve175
Registered Member

Relax. Don't over-react. Agree with an urchin. This too shall pass.

Current Tank Info: 2 separate 250G bowfront rimless ELOS tanks plumbed to 260G sump, 220G refugium, 220G frag, BK DeLuxe 300, 400W MH x4, closed loops, 3/4hp chiller x2, Phos reactor, Kalk reactor, Charcoal reactor, Ca reactor, 60G surge tanks, & a huge elec bill
Steve175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2012, 11:27 AM   #12
spazthecat
Registered Member

Hi,

I've had that stuff a few times. Only way I could get rid of it as to blast it with a syringe (or turkey baster) full of boiling water. Just hit a small patch each week.

--Andy

spazthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2012, 10:03 PM   #13
mgould73
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.. Someone also suggested it could be derbesia? Why i question it may not be lobophora is there is "clear" fuzz growing off the brown spots. It isnt green and it doesnt really look like hair algae. Very strange. My main bottom rock is just about compltetly covered with the brown dots. It does not come off with a hard toothbush.

Any other suggestions to try to help rid it? Reduce photoperiod?, larger water changes, more GFO? I am not really sure what is fueling this as I have only 2 small fish and a handfull of inverts. Always have done weekly water changes and use RO/DI.

Unread 01/31/2012, 06:34 PM   #14
mgould73
Registered Member

Just an update. Brown spots still taking over tank. Had no luck finding a tuxedo urchin at 3 of my LFS. Tried pencil urchin which hasnt really done anything. Hopefully it just fades by itself as the tank matures. (4 months old now)

Is it some form of Corraline?? You have to scrape it off with a something sharp to remove it, which basically removes top layer of rock. FOr now im just cleaning the rock with a toothbrush every week while doing water changes.

Wish i knew what this stuff was....

Unread 02/06/2012, 01:03 PM   #15
mgould73
Registered Member

More water changes, still no reduction in these brown spots. That bottom middle rock is pretty much been taken over. The spots seem to grow no larger then a dime, but they are all over.

As i said hard brushing doesnt remove it. Any ideas as to why it seems to really only effect the FHI (man made rock from fish heads) and no other rock?

The fiji is untouched, but the purple rocks from FHI is what has this algae.

Phosphates still test less then 0.03 from salifert. No other nuisance algae is growing.

My only other connection is I am having a hard time growing Corraline on all rocks, not just the FHI rock. Corraline however has already completey covered the Black Overflow box, Pump outputs and my Power heads. So it's growing, and growing fast but just not on my rocks, Fiji or FHI.

Anyone else chime in on what this may be? Other ideas on how to get rid of it? and some suggestions on growing the corraline on the rocks.

I'm thinking if i can get good corraline growth on the rocks, maybe it can outcompete that brown algae.

Thanks

Unread 02/06/2012, 01:30 PM   #16
swanny
Registered Member

Just had this issue with my new tank setup. I bought a zebra turbo snail which ate right through it in a couple of days.

Current Tank Info: 120g rr
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2012, 02:23 PM   #17
mgould73
Registered Member

I Have Mexican Turbos, Astreas in the tank. You can see them clean right on the spot but the brown will not come off.

I cannot even get it off using a hard bristled toothbrush. It will only come off if it is scraped off, razor blade etc.

It is very hard like corraline, but disgusting looking. My LFS is going to try to find me a Blue Tuxedo Urchin.

I am hoping if corraline can grab hold on these rocks, it may outgrow whatever that is on those rocks.

What still baffles me, is why this algae only grows on the artifical rock. I am guessing because its a more smooth surface then the Fiji Rock. But I even have spots here and there now on my overflow teeth, so it grows on plastic too.

If it grew in say larger patches on the rock and not just small dots all over, it probably would look actually decent.

But the fact that it looks like brown tic tac toe is unslightly.

Unread 02/06/2012, 04:08 PM   #18
MHG
Registered Member

I have the same stuff on my brs reefsaver rock. I can not grow any coroline on any rock. I would hate to have an urchin eat any coraline I do get on my Rocks. Mine is only on the lower part of my rocks. I would get a tang but I don't want the tang police knocking on my door

Last edited by MHG; 02/06/2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
MHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2012, 10:23 PM   #19
mgould73
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
I have the same stuff on my brs reefsaver rock. I can not grow any coroline on any rock. I would hate to have an urchin eat any coraline I do get on my Rocks. Mine is only on the lower part of my rocks. I would get a tang but I don't want the tang police knocking on my door
How bad is yours compared to mine? MIne has spread even more and sizes of the brown stuff are a little larger. SOme of the other FHI rock now has it as well.

Im at a total loss here. Im almost ready to get rid of the FHI rock.

Unread 02/24/2012, 02:12 PM   #20
mgould73
Registered Member

Just an update....

It seems to be spreading even more, patches getting larger. I was able to find a blue tuxedo urchin that really hasnt made a dent in it, however, it removed alot of corraline from the overflow.

This is really getting frustrating...

Attached some pictures so you can still see the center bottom rock is the one with the most brown coverage.

Its growing on Plastics, MP10 housing, Overflow, and the Fish Heads real reef rock.. I do not see it at all on the 4-5 pieces of fiji rock which you can see in some of the pics (light color in rock). Corraline growth is starting to really kick in now, and the fiji rock which had corraline that died is now growing back in differnt lighter shades. You can see the flat rock with the green stars on it showing nickel sized new growth of corraline as well.

Using GFO still, (now in reactor), still weekly water changes with ro/di.

Picked up salifeert mag test last week, Mag levels are about 1380.

Calcium 470
DKH 10
PH 8.2
Phosphates <0.03
Nitrates 0.05

Im not so worried if this may go away on its own, i just dont want it to get worse.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-02-23 18.23.56.jpg (104.0 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-02-23 18.29.40.jpg (103.9 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-02-23 18.24.22.jpg (77.4 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-02-23 18.24.25.jpg (83.8 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-02-23 18.27.21.jpg (82.4 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by mgould73; 02/24/2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: added picture
Unread 02/28/2012, 06:00 PM   #21
mgould73
Registered Member

Going to bump this as I really need some expert advice on what I can do with this algae. It is getting much worse and covering alot of rocks now. Bottom center rock is pretty much covered. The smaller dots that first started have all basically merged to form blotches.

My urchin doesnt touch the stuff, and i Cant remove it

All advice is welcome.

Unread 02/29/2012, 06:52 PM   #22
mgould73
Registered Member

I'm beginning to think no one else in reefing history has had this type of algae like I have?

Unread 02/29/2012, 09:19 PM   #23
miyzfrider
Registered Member

I'm there with you. I also have lots of brown spots around my tank on the rocks. Coraline is growing on the sides of the tank, but not really on the rocks at all. My tank is about 2-3 months old, so I've just been chalking it up to my tank still settling in. It's not pretty, but it hasn't caused any issues and so I've just left it alone.

My rock was purchased from my LFS as "cured" rock. I had no cycle occur due to the rock's cured condition.

My advice would be to continue to monitor your tank's parameters and as long as things continue to look good, just give it time. I've read many posts and articles that state a new tank can take 6-12 months to fully "cure" and settle down.

Here's a photo of my fungia....notice the rocks in the background.

Unread 02/29/2012, 09:24 PM   #24
miyzfrider
Registered Member

Here's another shot of my whole tank. You can see that like you, I don't have many corals in place yet. I have a total of 6, with two clowns, a royal gramma and an assortment of snails.

I've gone through a hair algae outbreak, which I purchased an emerald crab to tear down. I've had diatom algae twice and just finished a cyano outbreak. Again, I've just chalked much of this up to the tank still getting balanced and the rock still curing.

Point is, you're not alone as you wondered if you are.

Unread 02/29/2012, 10:41 PM   #25
gohstwrighter
Registered Member

from what i can see it looks like brown and green algy if all els fales a viniger soak and a tooth brush will killit off fake rocks as for the live rock the tooth brush scrubing is just going to help it spreed you can do the same with the blue and purple coralin lightly brushing just after a water change weekly . also your tank seems a little on the dark side .if it is a deep water coral brighter lights may kill it or not?
just a nother reason to buy more corals just coverit up.

gohstwrighter is offline   Reply With Quote