Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/12/2017, 02:17 AM   #1
icliao
Registered Member

Chloroquin DiPhosphate repeat dosage?

I am treating velvet in my fish only tank with chloroquine diphosphate and have done some research over the internet. There are several contradictory informations regarding to the dosage and can someone help me clarify?

Overall the recommanded dosage is between 40-80mg/gl but what I am confused about is the need for repeat dosage of 40mg/gl weekly for 3 more times? Some said it is necessary because CP act the same as copper will become absorbed by the substract or somehow broken down by the bacteria in the tank and repeat dosage is needed. Some said it is very stable and substract will not have any impact on the dosage.

Have anyone had any experience on CP especially dosing to FOWLR display tank? Also many says CP is sensitive to light and all light must be switched off and some says it is only sensitive as powder and once in solution the light will not affect it too much. Which is true? I am talking about moderate led light not strong metal halide lighting.

icliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2017, 06:29 AM   #2
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

The repeat dosage is for Ich treatment, not Velvet. In non sterile settings (display tanks) where high levels of nitrifying bacteria are present, there is a chance it is broken down more quickly. Without a Spectrophotometer you can't measure the CP and those aren't fiscally responsible to buy for most of us. Its a very forgiving drug and can be overdosed without much, if any harm to the fish. I have dosed my DT with CP for 3 weeks straight every 5th day like Nogas book mentions without water changes before dosing and the fish never acted like it was in the water. The powder is sensitive to light but the solution isn't and there is no need to turn the tank lights off.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2017, 06:36 AM   #3
icliao
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
The repeat dosage is for Ich treatment, not Velvet. In non sterile settings (display tanks) where high levels of nitrifying bacteria are present, there is a chance it is broken down more quickly. Without a Spectrophotometer you can't measure the CP and those aren't fiscally responsible to buy for most of us. Its a very forgiving drug and can be overdosed without much, if any harm to the fish. I have dosed my DT with CP for 3 weeks straight every 5th day like Nogas book mentions without water changes before dosing and the fish never acted like it was in the water. The powder is sensitive to light but the solution isn't and there is no need to turn the tank lights off.
I lost a kole tang and lemonpeel the next date after CP dosage.
I suppose my lemonpeel and kole tang were too late to be saved from velvet then. Thanks for the input they are very helpful.

icliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2017, 08:59 AM   #4
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by icliao View Post
I lost a kole tang and lemonpeel the next date after CP dosage.
I suppose my lemonpeel and kole tang were too late to be saved from velvet then. Thanks for the input they are very helpful.
Since your dealing with velvet I would suspect that is what killed them and not the CP. Certain wrasse, pipefish and seahorses don't do well with CP

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2017, 09:25 AM   #5
scooter31707
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
Since your dealing with velvet I would suspect that is what killed them and not the CP. Certain wrasse, pipefish and seahorses don't do well with CP
I agree. Haven't had any side effects with Tangs using CP, IME.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote