Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/07/2017, 10:44 PM   #1
Reefpuck
Registered Member

Eggcrate under rocks & wrasse burrowing

I have some eggcrate under the main sections of my rock, and have about 3" of sand. My concern is there might be some sharp edges of the eggcrate. Most of the eggcrate should be well under the outer edges of the rock.

Should I be worried about the wrasse possibly hitting one of the edges when it burrows. I mean...the way it does it's kamikaze burrow...it doesn't seem too concerned about hitting anything.

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef w/ 55g sump/fuge.
Reefpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2017, 05:35 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Your concerns are valid..
Eggcrate can be sharp..

Unread 11/08/2017, 08:58 AM   #3
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Keep and eye on your wrasse to see if he shows any signs of injury. Once he has been in there for a while he should get used to the places where the egg crate are. If he shows no signs of injury for a month or more, I'd assume he will be fine.

Unread 11/08/2017, 11:55 AM   #4
rocsec1
Registered Member

I've done the same thing in my tank and have a wrasse. So far no problem with it.

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 10:54 AM   #5
Arcar
Registered Member

I was thinking about putting egg crate under my rock so its not on the glass but people have said it can cause bad areas for bacteria? Would you agree? or just put the rock on the glass?

Current Tank Info: New 120 Gallon
Arcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 01:36 PM   #6
oldhead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcar View Post
I was thinking about putting egg crate under my rock so its not on the glass but people have said it can cause bad areas for bacteria? Would you agree? or just put the rock on the glass?
In my current tank I actually put my rock on short 3" pieces of 3" pvc. I drilled holes through it so it didn't get stagnant inside of it. I used 3 of them and set my rock from there. On my 110 upgrade I am working on atm I set my rock on the glass.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 05:30 PM   #7
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

If you are going to place something under your rocks to alleviate any potential point loading, seems to me there are far better choices than eggcrate. I have used regular old acrylic sheet, polycarbonate or starboard without any problem.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 06:36 PM   #8
Arcar
Registered Member

Good call

Current Tank Info: New 120 Gallon
Arcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 06:56 PM   #9
rocsec1
Registered Member

I have egg crate and a wrasses so far no problem.

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 10:35 PM   #10
thegrun
Registered Member

The primary reason for using egg crate is to anchor your rocks so they don't shift over time due to pressure from the rocks stacked above it and from shifting sand. It does help distribute the weight, but that is just an added bonus. The rocks lock into the holes in the egg crate and rarely shift. I have used it in all my tanks with sand for many years without any issues. I've taken down two tanks that were well over 5 years old with egg crate and the sand in the egg crate slots was just as clean as the sand above it. If you have a decent clean up crew there is no problem with bacteria or detritus build up.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 07:48 AM   #11
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

I raised the egg crate up above the sand by 2" on pvc pipe legs. That way any critter that wants sand or a place to hide from the light has lots of room. It also promotes using all the rocks surface for good bacteria and better flow at the sand bed. Under my egg crate I can see lots of feather dusters and sponges. You can see how I did it in my build thread (link in my signature below). Several others in my local club have done this and we all think it's helpful.