Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/11/2017, 12:22 PM   #1
moneymm
Registered Member

Tank on 2nd Floor - How much weight can it support

So I am planning on putting on a 2nd Floor on my ranch(not a dormer, but actually taking off the roof and rebuilding the 2nd floor), and moving my home office upstairs, and upgrading my tank.

Does anyone have any construction experience, that can tell me what weight I can add? and what needs to be done to add it?

Phantom Clown, Ocellaris Cown, 10 Snails, 4 Hermit Crabs
moneymm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 12:36 PM   #2
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymm View Post
So I am planning on putting on a 2nd Floor on my ranch(not a dormer, but actually taking off the roof and rebuilding the 2nd floor), and moving my home office upstairs, and upgrading my tank.

Does anyone have any construction experience, that can tell me what weight I can add? and what needs to be done to add it?
Legitimately not one person here would be able to answer that question with the details you provided. What's the total volume of the tank? Total gallon of the system? Footprint? Do you have a set of engineered drawings for the addition?

I am not sure what the building / construction bylaws in your area indicate, but if you are required to have a set of engineered drawings, I would inform the engineer and have them calculate the load and/or what reinforcements would be required. You might have to add some floor joists, LVL lumber, ect. Very honestly it would be negligent to advise you to do anything without actually knowing all the details of the build, the current construction of your barn and the planned upgrades.

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 12:58 PM   #3
JTL
Registered Member

+1 ^ So easy to ask the architect he can run the calcs and if necessary get an engineer to sign off.

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 01:02 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

In general floors in residential homes are typically designed for a live load of 40lbs/sq foot (psf)..
So ignoring excessive point loading a 10 x 10 floor can support 4000lbs on it..

As stated consult with the Architect and tell them what tank you want and where and the Structural Engineer/Architect will design accordingly..

In general I wouldn't even think twice about any tank up to 125G.. Over that I might run the numbers/start thinking about it....

Unread 12/11/2017, 01:12 PM   #5
moneymm
Registered Member

Thanks. I am not even up to that part yet. Just planning things out on paper on this point. Trying myself to design some options. I want to know what the normal load will hold without spending extra to see what size tank that leaves me with. Then I can see what it would take and cost to go bigger .

I know the contractor said he was going to put in a new beam going the length of the house that would eliminated any bearing walls on the first floor.

Phantom Clown, Ocellaris Cown, 10 Snails, 4 Hermit Crabs
moneymm is offline   Reply With Quote