Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/18/2018, 02:30 PM   #1
Bananarama
Registered Member

Question about Duncan coral, possible infection?

Hello all,
I have a Duncan coral, he has been in my tank for a few months now. I have noticed that when he has been expanding, there is a small section that he is keeping covered with his tentacles. I turned off the flow so I could get a good view (I've posted some pics). There is a small part which was being covered that looks damaged. The only think I can think of as being a cause is about a week ago (around the time I started noticing this behavior) I tried feeding him zooplankton. He got a mouth full, but started spitting it up right away. A few hours later I noticed what looked like a little pile of the zooplankton sitting on the spot that now looks damaged. I dont think there was enough flow on him to blow it away, so I took my turkey baster and tried to get it off. He retracted and that was that.

My question: Does this look like an infection that could have been caused by ( among other things) the zooplankton sitting and rotting on his disc, or does it look more like a bruise (potentially caused by my Peppermint shrimp trying to get some dinner). Or is it totally normal for a Duncan to develop little discolorations like this?

My Duncan is my favorite coral (hence the *he* pronoun instead of *it* haha) so I would be sad to see anything happen to him. Plus, he has been growing a lot of little heads so he is doing well otherwise.

My params are good, I have a mixed reef (mushroom/softy/LPS) with everything prospering.

Please let me know if there is anything I should do!

Bananarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2018, 04:18 PM   #2
AlSimmons
Registered Member

It looks fine to me.. Before you do anything drastic you might want to give another week or so and see what happens.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2018, 04:45 PM   #3
Bananarama
Registered Member

Thanks for the reassurance! I will leave it unless it takes a turn for the worse.

Bananarama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duncan