Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/05/2012, 08:39 PM   #26
MBIETZ
Registered Member

I have a low nutrients tank with xenia they still grow and survive but they grow slow my parents tank is a dirtier tank and the xenias grow like crazy we have never had problems keeping them in either tank but getting them out is another story. Also the salinity in my parents tank is 1.022 so they survive fine in low salinity mine is around 1.025.

MBIETZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2012, 09:08 PM   #27
xCry0x
Registered Member

Where would you place them? I have been moving mine every 4 days or so trying to get it to liven up. Both the clove polyp and the xenia I bought are doing bad. I have heard they like moderate light and moderate-high flow, the cloves were in the sps tank at the LFS so they were getting a good amount of flow.

I have my mp10 at ~50% on NTM and leds are non-dimmable.. with just the blues on my cloves open more so I keep moving towards lower light but they still never seem to open like they did at store. Xenia never took to the tank well.

Unread 04/06/2012, 10:29 AM   #28
MBIETZ
Registered Member

In my parents tank they are everywhere the sand, rock and back glass they run a 4 bulb T5 fixture. In my tank they will grow anywhere i let them and for flow mine are in rapid to low flow my parents have low gentle flow all around their tank. I think you should try them low in your tank i feel that it is always better to start a coral at the lowest point in the tank because it wont ever hurt them and if its not enough light they will let you know by reaching for the light but if you start them to high it can cause extreme stress or death. In your tank with your LEDs it may even be necessary to shade them a little i have xenia that stretch from under rocks to the light so shading them wont hurt either. The same goes for the clove polyps my parents and i have those too and they are low in both our tanks as well.

Unread 04/06/2012, 12:16 PM   #29
xCry0x
Registered Member

Sounds good thanks for the feedback, I got some sweet cloves that are green in the center with pink stripes and I dont want those to die! The xenia is a dime a dozen and apparently next to impossible to kill so not as worried about that.

Unread 04/06/2012, 01:11 PM   #30
MBIETZ
Registered Member

Ya xenia are easy to get for free i know a lot of people including myself that throw them away when pruning. I feel like a dummy because when i first started years ago i paid $50 for a tiny xenia frag lol.

Unread 04/06/2012, 02:22 PM   #31
xCry0x
Registered Member

Yea my lfs sells them for $15.00 a frag.. I bought one but the cheap-skate in me felt guilty because I know people trash them and I could have probably gotten one for free or a much larger frag for $15 lol.