Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/09/2019, 12:26 PM   #1
beermutz123
Registered Member

triton method

im have an issue in getting my alk up using the concentrated product when I first started I was able to get stuff in power and mixed and my alk was good im dosing 40 ml a day I cant seem to get it to up plus my algae is dying in my refugium

beermutz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2019, 03:56 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

If you are adding an alkalinity supplement and your alk is not rising then you simply arent dosing enough..
That may be because your solution is too weak or you just aren't adding enough..
Can you give us detailed information about what you are using?

Are you monitoring magnesium too?
What about calcium?

If your algae is dying then there may not be enough nutrients in the water or your light isnt right.. Again detailed information would be helpful.

Post all of your known parameter measurements so we have those details.

Unread 06/09/2019, 04:23 PM   #3
bertoni
RC Mod

How big is the tank? Are you seeing any signs of precipitation, like white or tan buildup on tank walls, etc? What supplement are you using?

Unread 06/09/2019, 04:50 PM   #4
beermutz123
Registered Member

I'm using the triton method on the tank the tank is 125 gal starting point of dosing is only 15ML a day I'm up to 40ML In the refugium im using a kessel 360

beermutz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2019, 06:22 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

I see. I suspect you just need to add more supplement. A tank that size might need 100 ml per day or more, as far as I can tell from the supplement description. This calculator will help with picking a dose:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

I was guessing that the tank has about 80 g of actual water volume, but I could be off quite a bit. The ESV entry probably is close enough for the first guess at a dose.

Unread 06/14/2019, 07:29 AM   #6
2000se
Registered Member

Regarding the chaeto not growing in the sump after converting to the triton method, do most people experience that loss of growing using this method?

2000se is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2019, 05:38 PM   #7
bertoni
RC Mod

I am not sure. I haven't seen enough reports on Triton tanks. If the system includes an organic carbon source, it might easily have that effect.

Unread 06/18/2019, 03:40 PM   #8
ThRoewer
Registered Member

As I understand it, there is no carbon dosing with the Triton method. Nitrate and phosphate reduction is supposed to be done primarily via uptake by algae like Chaetomorpha or Caulerpa.
If the algae don't grow phosphate and nitrate might be out of balance or other essential growth factors like iron or iodine may be depleted.
It might be time to send in a water sample for testing to see what is off.
The light might also be a problem, if not now then long term: for an algae refugium the Kessil H380 would be more appropriate.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote