Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/02/2015, 11:47 AM   #101
Przemek_PacSun
Registered Member

Hello
Im sorry for late reply, I missed some posts there and I wasnt able reply earlier.
Please let us know which bugs you found in software/firmware because we are testing it on 16pcs of our aquariums and we fix all issues(bugs) reported by Customers as soon as possible.
If there are any issues reported by Customers in 99% they are sourced by:
- not compatible(together) software and firmware
- problems with weak signal due using laptop/notebook with internal bluetooth modules.
Its most common issue - responsible for CRC errors(during firmware update), not responding application, not correct data transmitted from/to doser(like capacity, daily amounts etc).
We strongly suggest using any external(USB Bluetooth) module with Class1 (20db output power = 100mW) instead of using internal bluetooths which quite offen have output power 1mW or little more(to less for proper communication).
Using 100mW module give you 10-15 control range even thru few walls.

This doser is on market almost two year and since that time we improved many things - compatibility with Mac OS X system, Windows etc.
We released special software for firmware updates using:
- device working under Mac OS X
- device working under Windows (XP to 10)
- device working under Android(like tablets, mobile phones)

If anybody here experienced any issue - please contact with our service@pacific-sun.eu directly, but firstly check that problems are not sourced by weak BT module or your computer/phone settings(shared BT connection etc)
If you are not sure - our service will be happy help you in this troubleshooting.

Latest software/firmware updates avalaible for Windows/Mac OS X are free from known bugs but if you found anyone - please let us know, we will check it and fix without any needed delay.
Thank you for understanding.

Regards

Przemek

Przemek_PacSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2015, 12:14 PM   #102
reeferKen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
The manual is seriously lacking. Seems like they assumed you already know how to set it up before you bought it.
Another issue that is important to some, me included. Thanks for the update Przemek.

reeferKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2015, 01:29 PM   #103
truepercs
Registered Member

Sent along screen dumps of a couple items...Again no complaints on doser just appears that there are still a few issues to work out with software.
Feedback/ it would be best if your product could work along with standard bluetooth output from laptop/desktop as most other devices will. It really is an expensive piece of equipment to require additional hardware.

I have the auto water change set up, I now only have to clean glass on my nano... Overkill for a nano but wanted to see how this works to use later down the line on a large tank. I like this doser

ps support has responded to all of my questions/concerns promptly. (Did not always liked what I heard for/on the MAC version,but they responded promptly

Last edited by truepercs; 12/02/2015 at 01:46 PM.
truepercs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2015, 01:33 PM   #104
Przemek_PacSun
Registered Member

Please forward it also to work@pacific-sun.eu

Doser GUI is more complicated than our competitors abut also device offer much more than others. We tried to do it intuitive as it possible(remembering about how much things can be set/adjusted etc).
But even if something is not clear - we are here (and our support) for help and explaining everything whats needed.
We are working already on some videos F.A.Q with sample movies how doser should be mounted, configured and used.

Unread 12/02/2015, 01:36 PM   #105
soulpatch
Registered Member

As one who has his unit with AWC modules coming perhaps some of you with units already could do some simply set up videos or instructions for the rest of us. I would be more then willing to do the same once I am up and running but would gladly look over some user documentation.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2015, 01:47 PM   #106
truepercs
Registered Member

do you have app for iphone?

Unread 12/02/2015, 02:11 PM   #107
africangrey
Registered Member

Have you guys tried the magnetic stirrer? How do you like it, does the tube purge itself to clear the remnant before aspirating the properly mix material that you want to dose. I mainly use Zeovit, have calcium reactor to manage Cal and Alk levels.
FYI, Pacific Sun is offering free shipping today only!

africangrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2015, 10:04 PM   #108
akela
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truepercs View Post
No issues whatsoever, just curious...what version of windows are you using?

Thanks,
Yep, no issues whatsoever. Very happy with the unit. It's older laptop and it's running Windows 7

akela is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2015, 07:59 AM   #109
truepercs
Registered Member

Windows 10 on a brand new laptop...

Unread 12/06/2015, 05:00 AM   #110
Przemek_PacSun
Registered Member

@truepercs
Can you tell me your Bluetooth specification?

Unread 12/07/2015, 10:39 AM   #111
truepercs
Registered Member

bluetooth 4.0
zoom up on attachment...
Is this what you were looking for?

Attached Images
File Type: png bluetooth.PNG (11.8 KB, 31 views)
Unread 12/07/2015, 11:58 AM   #112
Dgagvgeg
Registered Member

I am having issues connecting via Bluetooth. The night i got the doser i had no issues, then i mounted it 2 days later and I am unable to connect to it. It keeps saying Port# Com7 Port not open. Not sure what i am doing wrong, I have deleted the device in windows and re added it as well. It pairs fine but when using the software i cannot connect to it. Kind of an issue because in order to program the doser i need the software. I did send an email to support@pacificsunusa.com but havent heard anything back yet. Some help would be great thanks.

Dgagvgeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2015, 01:14 PM   #113
truepercs
Registered Member

If you are using Windows 10 I have found bugs with com ports, also verified reading online. You may have to delete ports and and allow new ones to be assigned, (the ones assigned to the doser) windows is not removing unused ports. Screwing around with my doser during set up, my ports are at 21and 22
Last I checked no bug fix yet. After getting it set up com ports have not been a problem. There are unused ports that have not been cleaned up-that is a Windows problem

Last edited by truepercs; 12/07/2015 at 01:23 PM.
Unread 12/07/2015, 01:26 PM   #114
Dgagvgeg
Registered Member

I have windows 7 64 bit, but i am using a laptop that is a few years old, think 3rd gen i5. I have deleted the device from bluetooth and re added it a few times think i am on port 7-8 now. I am going to pick up an external bluetooth adapter and see if i am able to connect with that. Its really frustrating, wish i could just hook it up to apex and make it work that way lol

Unread 12/07/2015, 02:35 PM   #115
africangrey
Registered Member

I need something like this to make it to work, Pacific Sun has some strict requirement on the kind of bluetooth adapter to get.

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Bluet...lass+1+adapter

africangrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2015, 04:12 PM   #116
truepercs
Registered Member

When setting up if you are using laptop Bluetooth make sure laptop is in same room as doser. I did have communication issues when upgrading firmware when in a different room.

"Pacific Sun has some strict requirement on the kind of bluetooth adapter to get." Yea that really stinks, it is not a cheap doser not really wanting to buy more equipment even though the price on that item isn't that much.. If it would not work on older technology, say bluetooth "2.0"i can understand the need for a new current adapter.

The adapter is you linked is 4.0 bluetooth,is similar to my laptop Bluetooth. I'll have to look into the details of each. I am curious to find out how much different those specs are to the laptop specs.

In my case I believe the communication portion is set, I just see a few oddities, the one fellow mentions that he has no issues whatsoever that has not been my experience. The items are not "show stoppers" rather quirks and some small items not displaying correctly. With that said, I am happy with the doser...Heck I don't have to add top off or do water changes how cool is that.

Last edited by truepercs; 12/07/2015 at 04:31 PM.
Unread 12/07/2015, 04:26 PM   #117
vhuang168
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgagvgeg View Post
I have windows 7 64 bit, but i am using a laptop that is a few years old, think 3rd gen i5. I have deleted the device from bluetooth and re added it a few times think i am on port 7-8 now. I am going to pick up an external bluetooth adapter and see if i am able to connect with that. Its really frustrating, wish i could just hook it up to apex and make it work that way lol
You need to use a class 1 external bluetooth adapter. Pacsun has mentioned it many times that internal bluetooth is not powerful enough.

If that doesn't work. Reboot your doser. Unplug it, let it sit for a few secs then plug it back in. I've had to do that on several occasions. Esp after the most recent update.

40g custom AIO --> DSA190Pro
vhuang168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2015, 04:29 PM   #118
vhuang168
Registered Member

Quote:
When setting up if you are using laptop Bluetooth make sure laptop is in same room as doser. I did have communication issues when upgrading firmware when in a different room.

"Pacific Sun has some strict requirement on the kind of bluetooth adapter to get." Yea that really stinks, it is not a cheap doser not really wanting to buy more equipment even though the price on that item isn't that much..
The adapter is you linked is 4.0 bluetooth,is similar to my laptop Bluetooth. I'll have to look into the details of each. I am curious to find out how much different those specs are to the laptop specs.

In my case I believe the communication portion is set, I just see a few oddities, the one fellow mentions that he has no issues whatsoever that has not been my experience. The items are not "show stoppers" rather quirks and some small items not displaying correctly. With that said, I am happy with the doser...
So you can connect to your doser from another room? Do you have ver 1 or 2? I have an external bluetooth adapter (trendnet class 1) and I have to have the laptop under 3 feet from the doser or it won't connect. The doser is sitting out in the open so its not being blocked by the cabinet but if you can connect from another room, being in a cabinet shouldn't be an issue anyway.

Unread 12/07/2015, 08:43 PM   #119
truepercs
Registered Member

yep... I can connect from two rooms over, my gripe is small interface issues.
ie temp limits on main page
tab with temp menu does not allow me to set high and low it shows farenheit but numbers still show Celsius symbol.

I sent a few screen dumps to tech support. A few other small items I have found as well.

I dont think these are bluetooth issues... Just surprised that the other fellow said he has no issues. regression in software, or I am doing something wrong

I am not sure if it is version 1 or 2 how can I tell? box says mac OS available soon. So maybe it is version 1.

I did update the firmware. That is when I noticed bluetooth limitations. Connected but 25% into upload it would fail. After several attempts I moved into same room and it worked perfectly. I wish I would have discovered that much earlier. I was just about ready to give up. Com port issues were driving me crazy, kept jumping higher. 3/4 5/6, 12/13 finally figured out bluetooth limits and microsoft bug I am at 21/22 com ports ***

ps that is with internal laptop bluetooth...(4.0 bluetooth)
temp errors shown even if I am right by doser

With external bluetooth I wont see these issues? I will be bummed if I buy an adapter and still have issues. I will wait until I hear from Pacific before doing anything more.

Attached Images
File Type: png temp.PNG (34.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: png temp2.PNG (59.0 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by truepercs; 12/07/2015 at 09:00 PM.
Unread 12/07/2015, 09:11 PM   #120
truepercs
Registered Member

The MAC interface is no where close to the Windows version. I switched from MAC, so I really was expecting no issues.

Unread 12/07/2015, 10:02 PM   #121
vhuang168
Registered Member

Re ver 1 vs 2

Ver 1 will have a toggle switch that changes the led brightness.

Unread 12/07/2015, 11:57 PM   #122
Dgagvgeg
Registered Member

Wow, well i figured out my connection issue, the first night i hooked up to the dosing pump i didnt have my usb wireless mouse. The next time i tried i had that hooked up, for some reason the thought crossed my mind to try it without the usb wireless mouse and it connected on the first try, even from another room....now interference like that would of been solved with a simple Ethernet plug on the back of the unit

Unread 12/08/2015, 06:55 AM   #123
Przemek_PacSun
Registered Member

Hi
Sorry for late reply to all.
From our experience with bluetooth serial comunications(used by us since 2009 year) and by some other manufacturers also(like Giesmann) we know that almost 99% of all issues with communications are sourced by following:
1. Weak BT signal. It's sourced by using internal(built in) bluetooth module a specially in newest laptops which are ultra-energy saving. They have usually 1mW radios which are very energy saving but work with mouse(1 feet from laptop) or headphones only..
Nevermind is class number - this number tell us how many different protocols exact module cover(work with) but not always tell us anything about output power.
Each manufacturer inform(on their website etc) how big output power is (in mW or dB).
We have proven and tested many times that 100mW/20dB modules work perfect( a specially if they are 1.2 or EDR compatible).
2. Antivirus/firewall programs - sometimes they block outgoing/incoming ports used by BT.
3. Wrong COM settings - depednign from Win version sometimes device manager change COM ports to anothers(a specially after computer restart or updating your windows/patches).
If you have problems with COM ports(closed) - uninstall device from BT environment and install again - in 99% situations it will use, another and free COM port.
4. Wireless mouse.
If you experienced issues using wireless mouse you need to check which COM port mouse already use - and if its needed, change it from Control panel level.

Finally - if you have ANY questions - please write directly to our service@pacific-sun.eu we will be happy to assist you and offer advanced troubleshooting.

Regards

Przemek

Unread 12/08/2015, 07:14 AM   #124
Przemek_PacSun
Registered Member

Quote:
yep... I can connect from two rooms over, my gripe is small interface issues.
ie temp limits on main page
tab with temp menu does not allow me to set high and low it shows farenheit but numbers still show Celsius symbol.

I sent a few screen dumps to tech support. A few other small items I have found as well.

I dont think these are bluetooth issues... Just surprised that the other fellow said he has no issues. regression in software, or I am doing something wrong

I am not sure if it is version 1 or 2 how can I tell? box says mac OS available soon. So maybe it is version 1.

I did update the firmware. That is when I noticed bluetooth limitations. Connected but 25% into upload it would fail. After several attempts I moved into same room and it worked perfectly. I wish I would have discovered that much earlier. I was just about ready to give up. Com port issues were driving me crazy, kept jumping higher. 3/4 5/6, 12/13 finally figured out bluetooth limits and microsoft bug I am at 21/22 com ports ***

ps that is with internal laptop bluetooth...(4.0 bluetooth)
temp errors shown even if I am right by doser

With external bluetooth I wont see these issues? I will be bummed if I buy an adapter and still have issues. I will wait until I hear from Pacific before doing anything more.
In actual (latest ) version we already not allowed for displaying temperature in F degrees, only in C degree.
We experienced some software inconsistancy (with our AirBreeze coolers controled by Kore5th) and till next software update only one scale is avalaible.

Lowest/highest temperature shows on first page looks like that only when Customer resetted lowest/highest temperarure.
Please switch temperature to C degree and after few minutes measurements it will be correct.
Regards

Przemek

Unread 12/08/2015, 09:45 AM   #125
truepercs
Registered Member

No toggle I have version 2...

Most likely US customers may use Fahrenheit settings since it is commonly used here. In some cases we may use doser with slightly different settings resulting in a different experience with interface. I can understand why some may not experience any issues while others do. Perhaps test cases can be expanded to include US market use/preferences

Thanks for the hint, I will use all metric units.

Tags
junk trash