Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/15/2017, 12:45 PM   #1
lg2725
Registered Member

Experiences/Reviews on Royal Exclusiv Speedy 3 pump?

I was back and forth on a new return pump as my Reeflo Dart isn't cutting it with the 11' height I am dealing with. I was thinking Reeflo Barracuda or the Vectra L1 but decided I wanted to have complete control since I have the Profilux 3 controller. I know the Speedy 3 150 watt pump is pricey so is this pump actually worth it's price? I guess what I am asking is, is this a trustworthy product? I would hate to replace the pump in a few years at this cost. Thanks in advance.

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon long reef tank, 75 gallon basement sump/fuge, GHL 3.1T ex controller, GHL Doser 2.1, BRS dual GFO/Carbon, Rapid Led's
lg2725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 01:14 PM   #2
gcarroll
Registered Member

I have several friends with the RD3 230w. All have been reliable. Customer service has made a huge improvement since bringing on slief and Marco.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 02:01 PM   #3
reefkeeper2
Registered Member

I have the 230 watt also. Excellent craftsmanship and pump.

Current Tank Info: Envisions 427gal
reefkeeper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 02:06 PM   #4
lg2725
Registered Member

I think I have seen Slief post on this forum in the past. A few weeks ago someone mentioned this pump when I was thinking of the Reeflo and Vectra. At the time I said to myself, "Damn that's pricey!!". Then after thinking about it for a bit I figured I'd do some research. Couldn't find anything on Youtube or other sites about experiences though. Thanks for the response.

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon long reef tank, 75 gallon basement sump/fuge, GHL 3.1T ex controller, GHL Doser 2.1, BRS dual GFO/Carbon, Rapid Led's
Unread 03/15/2017, 02:07 PM   #5
lg2725
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefkeeper2 View Post
I have the 230 watt also. Excellent craftsmanship and pump.
Do you have it hooked to a controller or are you at full power all of the time. What's your height??

Unread 03/15/2017, 02:42 PM   #6
fixmgood
Registered Member

I have 2 of them, speedy 230's,one is running through the Apex as it is a closed loop.Really quiet,so far I am extremely happy.Their customer service (Slief) is great.

Current Tank Info: 450g AGE,200 gallon sump, Red Dragon Speedy 230w return pump and closed loop,4 way Ocean Motion,PM Balistic Skimmer.3 Sea Swirl returns.AI Hydra 52HD,Apex contoller. Build thread "The after disaster 650g build"
fixmgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 04:06 PM   #7
wishntoboutside
professional snow flake

Great product. Great support with scott as well. Honestly you can not go wrong with these

Current Tank Info: 450 gallon peninsula tank 72*48*30 filled with a bunch of frags and trying to grow them out.
wishntoboutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 04:09 PM   #8
scuzy
Registered Member

i have a 150watt one and Scott's been great support when i didn't know how to use the controller. The pump seems pretty well built.

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 04:48 PM   #9
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

I know Scott is their rep and has them on his tank now.
However Scott is man enough to tell you what works & what does not, even if it is not in his product line.

Unread 03/15/2017, 04:51 PM   #10
reefkeeper2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg2725 View Post
Do you have it hooked to a controller or are you at full power all of the time. What's your height??
It runs at full power all the time. I have 13 feet of head from the basement up to the display.

Unread 03/15/2017, 06:57 PM   #11
vhuang168
Registered Member

Iirc, there is going to be a new impeller for the 150/230 series pumps for installations that have a lot of head pressure.

I have the 80w and I'm extremely happy with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40g custom AIO --> DSA190Pro
vhuang168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 07:20 PM   #12
atorres53
Registered Member

I have the 80 watt version on my 125 and I love it. Great pump and great customer service, Scott Lief.

atorres53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 08:11 PM   #13
reefkeeper2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
Iirc, there is going to be a new impeller for the 150/230 series pumps for installations that have a lot of head pressure.

I have the 80w and I'm extremely happy with it!

I've heard about high head pressure impellers coming out before. Hope it happens soon!

Unread 03/15/2017, 10:21 PM   #14
slief
RC Sponsor

Thanks for the kind words guys. It's very much appreciated! Marco and I are both longtime hobbyist's and as hobbyists, we know how important service and support is. My theory has always been, do or die for the customers because without them we would starve. It's a philosophy I've held with my computer manufacturing business and it's the same model we honor with RE's support and service.

Obviously I am somewhat biased but I was a Royal Exclusiv user long before I got directly involved with Royal Exclusiv. For what it's worth, I paid for all my equipment and made those acquisitions before I took a role with RE. I have a pair of RD3 230's (one for my return and one for my closed loop) on my main display and make no mistake, there isn't a snowballs chance in hell I'd run them if I didn't have 1000% confidence in them regardless of my role with the company. The RD3 230's replaced Superdart Golds on my main system. I've been running them since they were first released a couple years ago and they haven't skipped a beat. My main tank been up and running at this house since 1997 and has tens of thousands in livestock alone. I don't take chances when it comes to my tank and don't cut corners when it comes to my equipment. I've never had a catastrophic failure as a result of my equipment but as I said, I don't cut corners and I only use what I honestly feel is the best whether it's my pumps, lights, calcium reactors, skimmers etc. I also have a Supermarin 250 skimmer with an RD3 50 on it which I've had since that model skimmer was released with the RD3's and it too has proven to be a terrific skimmer and the pump has been a work horse. On my 100 gallon tank, I run an RD3 80. Aside from their quality, noise and heat transfer were considerations for me. These pumps are the quietest pumps I have ever run or installed. They are also the coolest running pumps I've ever used.

I'm a pretty honest person and really try to be open minded. I often recommend products that aren't Royal Exclusiv branded whether it's Fluval SP series pumps, Reeflo, Iwaki, Life Reef Skimmers, ATB or what ever. Different strokes for different folks. Obviously cost is always a consideration when it comes to anything in this hobby so I have to bare that in mind when helping others make decisions or when I am spec'ing in an equipment list for an install. I do a fair amount of custom installs and its pretty rare that the customer are prepared to spend that kind of money. Especially when people that are new to the hobby make new tank decisions based on cost and you are bidding against other companies. As such, I get my hands on all kinds of equipment though I'd never recommend anything I don't have confidence in. That said, it's hard to fault the RD3's. As for the pressure impellers or pressure rated RD3's, that is still a work in progress. I wish we had an ETA but Klaus has been pretty tight lipped on it and we can only wait patiently..

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 03/15/2017 at 10:31 PM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 10:30 PM   #15
Breadman03
New Old School

I've been running an RD3-230 for around a year and a half with my basement sump. The pump hasn't missed a beat with probably 12-15 feet of head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
As for the pressure impellers or pressure rated RD3's, that is still a work in progress. I wish we had an ETA but Klaus has been pretty tight lipped on it and we can only wait patiently..

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 11:26 AM   #16
lg2725
Registered Member

I appreciate all of the responses. Have any of you been using this long term or just happy with the recent acquisition?

Unread 03/16/2017, 11:46 AM   #17
scuzy
Registered Member

Experiences/Reviews on Royal Exclusiv Speedy 3 pump?

DC pumps haven't been in the market that long compare to AC but most would agree that it's more reliable than the cheaper Chinese ones.

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 12:12 PM   #18
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I appreciate all of the responses. Have any of you been using this long term or just happy with the recent acquisition?
I went back and double checked my build thread to see when I installed my pumps. I've had my two RD3 230's running for 21 months now. The RD3 50 skimmer pump has been running for 32 months. Not exactly long term but still a good amount of time. These pumps are nothing like your typical DC pump though. They run a much higher voltage and the impellers alone on an RD3 230 weigh nearly as much as a typical DC pump. The RD3's are very heavy pumps and very solid. Their motors are much more powerful. They also have the AKB tube which sends water from the pressure side of the block to the magnet cavity which not only keeps the magnet cavity cool but it also reduces friction and virtually eliminates calcium buildup inside the magnet cavity.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 03/16/2017, 03:28 PM   #19
lg2725
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
I went back and double checked my build thread to see when I installed my pumps. I've had my two RD3 230's running for 21 months now. The RD3 50 skimmer pump has been running for 32 months. Not exactly long term but still a good amount of time. These pumps are nothing like your typical DC pump though. They run a much higher voltage and the impellers alone on an RD3 230 weigh nearly as much as a typical DC pump. The RD3's are very heavy pumps and very solid. Their motors are much more powerful. They also have the AKB tube which sends water from the pressure side of the block to the magnet cavity which not only keeps the magnet cavity cool but it also reduces friction and virtually eliminates calcium buildup inside the magnet cavity.
Scott/Fellow Reefers
I appreciate your responses and will take a few questions over the Royal Exclusiv forum as it specifically pertains to the Red Dragon pumps. I know some people do not see a benefit of having a controllable pump but since I have a controller, I'd might as well take advantage of as many as it's features as I can.
Thanks again.

Unread 03/16/2017, 04:16 PM   #20
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Scott/Fellow Reefers
I appreciate your responses and will take a few questions over the Royal Exclusiv forum as it specifically pertains to the Red Dragon pumps. I know some people do not see a benefit of having a controllable pump but since I have a controller, I'd might as well take advantage of as many as it's features as I can.
Thanks again.
Very glad to help.

I will state one thing here since others may wonder.. While both of my RD3 can be controlled via a controller be it Apex or Profilux, only my closed loop takes advantage of 0-10v control. I am not a fan of external control for return pumps. It just adds one more point of failure should the 0-10v or controller fail. If the 0-10v voltage is lost, the pump will shut down when it remote mode. Both situations are not common but IMO, a return pump should be set it and forget it. Dial the flow in for the plumbing and leave it alone is my theory. Plus the RD3 controller adds much finer control over flow rates and as such, fine turning flow via the controller is much easier than tweaking profiles or 0-10v output. I also see no reason to slow or shut down a return pump during normal operation once it's setup. Some people slow their flow down for feeding but I like that flow to distribute the food to the fish and corals. Plus, reducing flow raises the sump level which impacts the skimmer and I don't ever shut my skimmer down unless I am doing maintenance. My closed loop is a different story. I run lower flow at night to save power and keep things a bit more calm when the fish rest. During the day when the lights come on, the flow increases substantially. When my Tunze's go into their flush mode which is a program I use via my controller to suspend detritus, my closed loop kicks way up to eliminate anything that may have settled under my rocks where my closed loop line dumps out via the closed loop manifold below my live rock.

Unread 03/16/2017, 04:51 PM   #21
reefkeeper2
Registered Member

I got my pump shortly after Scott did and it has worked flawlessly since I installed it. I clean it every 4-6 months and when I do I always notice there is absolutely no trace of calcium buildup to be found. That's a sign of a cool running well built pump. It will cost you more, but you will never regret buying a Royal Exclusive pump.

Unread 03/16/2017, 07:42 PM   #22
deleau
Registered Member

I'll chime in as well.

I replaced a Reeflo Super Dart with RD3 150W (as part of a full Dreambox sump overhaul).

Independent of Scott's setup, I am doing a lot of the same things. I do not control the RD3 return pump with my Apex (other than the power being on an EB8). I have it set and do not change it.

It is whisper quiet; I have my whole Dreambox sitting on a dunnage rack to the side of my main tank and the loudest thing is the trickle of water down the emergency drain of my Herbie overflow.

I have not had it long enough to make an longevity statements (and to be fair, the Reeflo worked perfectly for years), but both noise and heat are products of inefficiency which in and of itself are sources of wear on any mechanical system. To that end, I expect the RD3 to last a long, long time given how quiet and cooler it runs.

Current Tank Info: 258g (72.5x30x27.5), 4x Radion Gen3 Pro, 2x Hamilton Aruba Sun V Series (4x Blue Plus 80W), 2x Vortech MP40WQD, Apex Gold + WXM, Dreambox 5d, Bubble King Supermarin 200, Red Dragon 3 150W, Tunze 3155, Finnex Ti 800W
deleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2019, 04:59 PM   #23
hienvu
Registered Member

It was just a great experience with Royalexclusiv customer service when I reached out and talked to Scott in regarding my RD3 230watt controller failed. The service that I feel all customer service out there should employed.
Thanks Scott

hienvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2019, 12:57 AM   #24
paal
Registered Member

I've got the double cone 180 with RD3 speedy pump. The overall skimmer unit is the equipment I am most happy with on my whole tank.

The controller box for the pump did die on me recently though (after 3 years).
Royal Exclusiv fixed it for a fair price and communication was perfect (directly with RE in Europe)
I consider it a freak accident and would for sure buy the same skimmer today if I were to start a new system.

paal is offline   Reply With Quote