Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/21/2017, 09:28 PM   #1
DrDNA
Registered Member

New bleached sebae

Picked up this seriously bleached sebae for $20 today. It is badly bleached but seems very healthy otherwise. Figured for $20 it's worth a shot. I'll see if it settles in and then try a little food in a couple days. Sorry, only the blue leds are on right now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

<º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))><

Jeff

Current Tank Info: 300g and 540g on one system, 165g sump, lifereef VS3-72 skimmer, LED lighting
DrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2017, 09:43 PM   #2
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Still looks in OK shape. Acclimate it to your light slowly and feed it every two days (after one week of settling down of course). It will get better and healthy.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 11:30 AM   #3
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Wow, that is REALLY bleached .... healthy otherwise. I just bought a very pale sebae, though it still has the purple tips. It is apparently unacceptable to my platinum clowns though

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 12:09 PM   #4
DrDNA
Registered Member

We'll see how it does. It went for a walk last night to find a new happy place. It starts the inflate deflate routine I'll pull it out and treat it, providing I can reach it in a 36" deep tank!

Jeff

Current Tank Info: 300g and 540g on one system, 165g sump, lifereef VS3-72 skimmer, LED lighting
Unread 09/14/2017, 10:25 PM   #5
DrDNA
Registered Member

Still doing well, but bleached. Hasn't moved or deflated since moving to the bottom of the tank three weeks ago

Jeff

Unread 09/15/2017, 11:45 AM   #6
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDNA View Post
... It starts the inflate deflate routine I'll pull it out and treat it, ...
Unlike with giganteas I've never had much luck treating crispas so I would be careful with that. My current crispa has done the deflating-inflating game for a year and it is most definitely not disease related (no gaping mouth or expelling of matter) as it is usually with giganteas. I found crispas to be much more sensitive to all kinds of environmental conditions (heat, light, water quality) than giganteas. Deflating of crispas is IME usually a reaction to some parameters being off rather than disease.

Keep an eye out for slightly brown spots that indicate Zooxanthellae. If those exist then the anemone has a good chance of regaining​ color. If it is still totally white after a month or two then it likely has no remaining zooxanthella. In that case it would need to acquire them from another anemone or corallimorph like a mushroom, zoa,... ideally via direct contact.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2017, 12:11 PM   #7
DrDNA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Unlike with giganteas I've never had much luck treating crispas so I would be careful with that. My current crispa has done the deflating-inflating game for a year and it is most definitely not disease related (no gaping mouth or expelling of matter) as it is usually with giganteas. I found crispas to be much more sensitive to all kinds of environmental conditions (heat, light, water quality) than giganteas. Deflating of crispas is IME usually a reaction to some parameters being off rather than disease.

Keep an eye out for slightly brown spots that indicate Zooxanthellae. If those exist then the anemone has a good chance of regaining​ color. If it is still totally white after a month or two then it likely has no remaining zooxanthella. In that case it would need to acquire them from another anemone or corallimorph like a mushroom, zoa,... ideally via direct contact.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I have very little experience with crispa.

Jeff

Unread 09/20/2017, 09:55 AM   #8
rhdoug
Registered Member

My crispa was snow white when I got it 15 years ago. I did nothing but feed it (mostly frozen krill), and it is still going strong. Yours looks healthy otherwise, good luck with it.

Current Tank Info: 58 Gallon mixed reef running since 1999, Super Reef Octopus Skimmer, 180w Maxpect Razor LED Light, August 2015 TOTM
rhdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2017, 10:38 AM   #9
DrDNA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhdoug View Post
My crispa was snow white when I got it 15 years ago. I did nothing but feed it (mostly frozen krill), and it is still going strong. Yours looks healthy otherwise, good luck with it.
Thanks! It's still doing fine in that it stays put, doesn't deflate, and hasn't decreased in size at all. I may try target feeding it. It's starting to get a little color but has a long ways to go.

Jeff

Unread 09/20/2017, 12:29 PM   #10
davocean
Registered Member

Mysis squirted towards it would be best, couple times a week.
I had a couple just as bad that came back, at least yours is fairly set and looks ok

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2017, 12:34 PM   #11
rhdoug
Registered Member

Yes I agree on the mysis, I no longer feed mine big chunks of anything, just the frozen mix that I feed the tank.

Current Tank Info: 58 Gallon mixed reef running since 1999, Super Reef Octopus Skimmer, 180w Maxpect Razor LED Light, August 2015 TOTM
rhdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2017, 01:03 PM   #12
DrDNA
Registered Member

Thanks guys! I've also changed to using mostly mysis for my anemones as opposed to chunks of food.

Jeff

Unread 09/20/2017, 01:12 PM   #13
davocean
Registered Member

It's less stressful to digest which helps in healing, and also more natural to what a nem would mostly be taking in the wild.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 09/20/2017, 02:22 PM   #14
DrDNA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
It's less stressful to digest which helps in healing, and also more natural to what a nem would mostly be taking in the wild.
That's what I was thinking too when I switched over to it a few months ago. Of course it's freshwater mysis but still the nems really seem to like it

Jeff

Unread 09/20/2017, 04:25 PM   #15
davocean
Registered Member

Yeah I mean more natural in the means of small meaty proteins that would be more regularly consumed compared to the occasional sick fish that wanders in.

Unread 09/20/2017, 04:43 PM   #16
DrDNA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
Yeah I mean more natural in the means of small meaty proteins that would be more regularly consumed compared to the occasional sick fish that wanders in.
Yup. I don't how many anemones I killed years ago by feeding them silversides!!

Jeff

Unread 09/20/2017, 06:24 PM   #17
davocean
Registered Member

Well the silversides we think are a packaging/poor handling issue, and yeah I lost 3 healthy LTA's in one feeding years back myself, but larger in general takes more energy to digest, in fact overfeeding stress is a trick to induce splits in BTAs