Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/17/2009, 06:22 PM   #51
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Congratulations Seaplug---you have a beautiful tank.
It's also nice to see that a tank that is well within the reach of so many others(with your skill of course) is featured on the cover of reef keeping magazine.

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2009, 01:23 PM   #52
Guillaume
Another reef dependant

Congratulation Seaplug for your ToTM. Great display and its much appreciated to learn from users of "small" tank and learn that simplicity is still good at 90 gal. I mean, for me 90 is big and that size of tank is a project I'm starting to think more seriously about but dream of since a long time.

Just a question: how have you come to chose to have a phosphate reactor on your tank? Do you think it is usefull for you and that is a must for that size of tank?

Thanks and congratulation again.

G

Current Tank Info: 150g mixed reef
Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2009, 01:55 PM   #53
vetdog
Space cadet

congrats

Current Tank Info: 300 gallon DD reef tank, RedSea MaxE260
vetdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2009, 05:00 PM   #54
seapug
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Guillaume

Just a question: how have you come to chose to have a phosphate reactor on your tank? Do you think it is usefull for you and that is a must for that size of tank?
G
Phosphate is nasty stuff and my undersized sump prevents me from having a lit refugium, so it was a simple solution for dealing with a Bryopsis invasion that occurred when the tank was about a year old. I've come to think Phosban Reactors are great pieces of equipment for any tank, regardless of size.

seapug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2009, 07:08 PM   #55
Guillaume
Another reef dependant

Thanks Seapug. I'm currently dealing with a phosphate problem so I may consider this solution.

Current Tank Info: 150g mixed reef
Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2009, 12:24 AM   #56
xsquyz
Registered Member

Beautiful!

xsquyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2009, 10:22 AM   #57
Dudester
Registered Member

I love your tank - simple and elegant. Your LPS and softie collection is fantastic. I particularly like your zoanthid garden. It is amazing to me that you are able to keep so many species together in such tight quarters, and that a few more dominant zoas haven't outgrown the others. How did you manage to accomplish this, was it natural or have you weeded out some as they grow? Congratulations on a well-deserved TOTM!

Current Tank Info: building a new home tank l 450g office tank with Deltec everything
Dudester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2009, 11:34 AM   #58
seapug
Registered Member

Thanks, Dudester.

There is definitely some competition among the Zoanthids. I frequently battle the invasion of some plain old brown Protopalythoas that hitchhiked in on some mixed colonies a long time ago that are very vigorous growers. I periodically have to remove move rocks that have been taken over by them or coat them with Kalk paste when they start overgrowing the pretty ones.

Current Tank Info: 200 gallon custom Marineland DD peninsular tank. LPS dominated mixed reef. Previous 90 gallon mixed reef TOTM April 2009.
Unread 04/22/2009, 02:22 PM   #59
1geo
1geo

Great tank. I can only imagine the time, effort and money it took to put together such a fabulous tank, well done.

Current Tank Info: 1 - 40 gal
1geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2009, 08:42 PM   #60
KAKLANGLEY
Registered Member

Wow, nice. Great to 150 watt MH kicking butt.

HIT EM WITH THE HEIN
KAKLANGLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2009, 09:05 PM   #61
seapug
Registered Member

Unread 04/23/2009, 12:39 PM   #62
gws76
Premium Member

Congratulations!! I've seen glimpses of your tank in threads on here for over a year and wondered when the day would come for your tank to be TOTM. Outstanding tank!

Current Tank Info: 150 gal. Starphire Mixed Reef
gws76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2009, 06:30 PM   #63
jtc3
Moved On

nice job very impressive

jtc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2009, 12:48 PM   #64
Fernando Chang
Registered Member

Jake !

My congratulations from Panama very beautiful and colorful small tank reef. can you give me more info abt to take care of the zoanthids and the Acans ? I have purchased some and the zoantids still closed not sure is my lights. I have installed in my 150 glns tank 2 x 250 W 20K Radium and 2 x 110W actinic VHO fluoresccent.
thanks in advance for yr advice.

Regards
Fernando C.

Current Tank Info: 60''L x 24''W x 27''H with a 75 glns sump with no sand nor caulerpa only water but containing: phosphate removal reactor, carbon reactor, biopelets chamber. Have installed P. Skimmer Octopus Super Reef EXT5000 , Chiller 1HP.
Fernando Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2009, 06:26 PM   #65
ocean17
Registered Member

Seapug, all I can say is WOW! I'm new to the hobby but also have a 2,500 foot antique glass greenhouse so since entering the hobby my goal is to have a gnarly zoa flower garden if you will. Your tank gives me great inspiration and I agree whole heartedly with getting back to basics in that these "sticks" have taken this hobby by storm as of late. Anyway, stay true to yourself,

o17

Current Tank Info: 339 tall, 5 nano, 2- 270 raceways, dozens misc breeders
ocean17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2009, 11:13 PM   #66
letik
Registered Member

I love the tank and the simplicity of your setup. I saw some previous tank-of-the-month winners and it looks like some have comparable size tanks and the whole basement loaded with sumps, controllers, reactors etc.

What I also like about the Tank of the Month ccontest as opposed to the Nano Tank of the Month contest is that everybody shows how their tank complements the surroundings. I think that it is one of the most important things that is completely overlooked in the Nano Tank of the month.

letik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2009, 01:40 PM   #67
gooyferret
Registered Member

Seapug when you fragging your leather i want some?! haha Very nice tank cant wait till mine is done cycling and will be reefing man!

Current Tank Info: 180gal Mixed Reef
gooyferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2009, 09:15 PM   #68
seapug
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fernando Chang
Jake !

My congratulations from Panama very beautiful and colorful small tank reef. can you give me more info abt to take care of the zoanthids and the Acans ? I have purchased some and the zoantids still closed not sure is my lights. I have installed in my 150 glns tank 2 x 250 W 20K Radium and 2 x 110W actinic VHO fluoresccent.
thanks in advance for yr advice.

Regards
Fernando C.
Give them a few days to settle in. Most Zoanthids are pretty tolerant of strong light but it's always a good idea to start new corals low and gradually move them up. If they are staying closed check for Zoa eating nudibranchs (they look like tiny feathery snails) and sundial snails. If you find them, a brief freshwater dip of a minute or so tends to work well.

Unread 04/27/2009, 09:26 PM   #69
Fernando Chang
Registered Member

Jake !

thanks fo ry advice however my zoanthids have months in that condition but they are alive. I have placed them in different locations without results !!I will looks for the nudibranchs and the snails. Guidance, abt one month ago I remove one fire worms abt 2 inches maybe there are more. I will hunt them in the night.

Regards
Fernando C.

Current Tank Info: 60''L x 24''W x 27''H with a 75 glns sump with no sand nor caulerpa only water but containing: phosphate removal reactor, carbon reactor, biopelets chamber. Have installed P. Skimmer Octopus Super Reef EXT5000 , Chiller 1HP.
Unread 04/27/2009, 09:43 PM   #70
seapug
Registered Member

I have some enormous bristleworms that live in the rocks in the Zoa garden and they've never caused problems for me but you might have a different type. I'd check for the nudibranchs and snails first. Have you done any basic water tests to make sure everything is ok with general water quality? What kind of fish do you have? Some fish have a taste for Zoanthids and generally go after the expensive, pretty ones first.

Current Tank Info: 200 gallon custom Marineland DD peninsular tank. LPS dominated mixed reef. Previous 90 gallon mixed reef TOTM April 2009.
Unread 04/27/2009, 09:55 PM   #71
Fernando Chang
Registered Member

Jake, noted yr comments. Well abt the water quality my last test showed the following: salinity: 1.025, Ca: 440, Ph: 8.1/8.2, Alkalinity: 8.6dkh/3.09 meg/l, PO4: 0, NO3: less than 5, Mag: 1350, amonia: 0, temp: abt 25°C. I do not feed them I only feed the fishes: flame angel, blue tang, sailfin tang, tomato clown, royal gramma, pijama cardinal, hawkfish.
lights are: 2 x 250W MH 20k radium + 2 x 110W VHO super actinic. the tank is a 150 glns, 60 inches L x 24 inches W, 27 inches H.

Regards
Fernando C.
Regards

Unread 04/29/2009, 05:32 PM   #72
dp122098
Registered Member

Congrats!!! I think I dream of your tank. Could you get a better shot of you Phosban setup because I am thinking of doing something similar to yours because of space issues.

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon Tank, 75 Gallon Sump, SeasideAquatics ES2 Skimmer, 8xT5 Sun System Tek Fixture, Dolphin Reflo Return, 2xMP40w
dp122098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2009, 09:24 PM   #73
IridescentLily
Editor-Reefkeeping mag

Seapug,
How big is your Cynarina?
To me, that is the absolute star of your tank because of it's coloring, and also because of how giganormous it is.
Have you measured it when it's puffed up?

IridescentLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2009, 03:15 PM   #74
Paul777
Registered Member

amazing tank I love the aquascaping, your choice in fish and corals really gives it an absolutely stunning overall appearance, I can only hope that in time my tank will someday look like yours, this is by far one of the most beautiful tanks I have ever seen.

thank you for sharing it with us,
Paul

Current Tank Info: SPS dominant 70 gallon marineland cube
Paul777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2009, 06:57 PM   #75
Kreator
Registered Member

Awesome tank!!!

Kreator is offline   Reply With Quote