Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/15/2019, 10:22 AM   #1
alemone
Registered Member

Rollermat issue

I have a Theiling Rollermat, which I have used for maybe 2 years. I have noticed over maybe 4-5 months now that it has not been advancing the roll.
It is NOT stuck and it's NOT draining through the overflow drain. The water level simply never goes up to trigger the roller. For a while, I thought maybe my water is just too clean but something else is going on. I used to go through a new roll in 3-4 months.
Could there be a leak so the water does not get filtered by the roll? Does ANybody have any experience like this?

alemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2019, 08:36 AM   #2
Nrupaw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemone View Post
I have a Theiling Rollermat, which I have used for maybe 2 years. I have noticed over maybe 4-5 months now that it has not been advancing the roll.
It is NOT stuck and it's NOT draining through the overflow drain. The water level simply never goes up to trigger the roller. For a while, I thought maybe my water is just too clean but something else is going on. I used to go through a new roll in 3-4 months.
Could there be a leak so the water does not get filtered by the roll? Does ANybody have any experience like this?

Check to see if the fleece is sitting/wrapped correctly on the roller drum. If its offset for some reason, water might just be passing through that opening. Water always takes the path of least resistance.

Nrupaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2019, 09:11 AM   #3
alemone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrupaw View Post
Check to see if the fleece is sitting/wrapped correctly on the roller drum. If its offset for some reason, water might just be passing through that opening. Water always takes the path of least resistance.
I manually advanced the fleece and the water level seems to be going up. Perhaps it was not sitting right on the drum indeed. Thanks.

Unread 06/18/2019, 09:48 AM   #4
Nrupaw
Registered Member

Quote:
I manually advanced the fleece and the water level seems to be going up. Perhaps it was not sitting right on the drum indeed. Thanks.
great.

yeah one issue i have with the theiling is that their quality control process for the replacement fleece is utter crap. a number of the replacement fleece aren't rolled properly over the cardboard cylinder spleen that they come with.

if you look closely the rolled fleece isn't flush with the edge of the cardboard spleen. the cardboard juts out a little bit. That causes issues in the operation when the fleece unrolls in an offset manner. leaving an open gap on either one of the edge of the drum. that just lets the water pass through the gap vs going through the fleece.

this above info really starts making sense once you have a rollermat run and running.

But at the end of the day i don't have to change filter socks. All these other issues are tiny compared to not have to deal with socks.

Unread 06/18/2019, 12:46 PM   #5
alemone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrupaw View Post
great.

yeah one issue i have with the theiling is that their quality control process for the replacement fleece is utter crap. a number of the replacement fleece aren't rolled properly over the cardboard cylinder spleen that they come with.

if you look closely the rolled fleece isn't flush with the edge of the cardboard spleen. the cardboard juts out a little bit. That causes issues in the operation when the fleece unrolls in an offset manner. leaving an open gap on either one of the edge of the drum. that just lets the water pass through the gap vs going through the fleece.

this above info really starts making sense once you have a rollermat run and running.

But at the end of the day i don't have to change filter socks. All these other issues are tiny compared to not have to deal with socks.
Yes. The rolling mechanism is not overly reliable either. Hopefully, the next iteration will keep the great concept with a more refined design. Any 3rd party fleece?

Unread 06/18/2019, 12:55 PM   #6
Nrupaw
Registered Member

Quote:
Any 3rd party fleece?
Not really. I usually buy a couple from BRS when they go on sale. each fleece lasts me 3-4 months