Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/09/2019, 02:35 PM   #26
FSJGUY
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
Thanks for the concern. Definitely proceeding with caution. As I said in the OP, very scary and of course worried for the lives of children. A risk like that is not something to play around with.

I might disagree with the comparison though. I think a 55g with narrow base is much more likely to wobble when a 300 pound man jumps in front of it, than a 135g with wider base. That still doesn't matter. Aquariums shouldn't wobble.

8 hear you on being wider 18 inches vs 13 like a 55.. But is your stand on legs or is it a wooden atand with even support on the entire base ? Was it on carpet or no i forgot if you mentioned that.

The point i made was my 135 is on a steel stand with only 4 legs so it isnt being supported on the floor on the entire base.. The legs are L shaped so stilts basically.. I had to weld steel plates on the L legs to add a little support and put a little pressure treated wood laying flat under rhat to help it from wobbling. A legged stand for a larged tank on carpet laying on the joists leg wise is one of the worst things you can do is what im saying.

ive had a 55g in the past joist length wise an it never moved even a little. I also have a 92g bowfront and a 30g t and 69g hexagon trust me i know lol.

Im just saying your floor seems very weak if it cant handle that. Someone mentioned floors support 59lbs per square inch what not.. With a tank using a wooden stand with support on the entire outer base even 1000lbs will be much much less then 50 lbs per square inch. A 135g on a wooden base will be less than 50 as well.. But a steel stand with L shaped legs on 2 inches long with a near 2000lbs stand.tank. thats 500 lbs on each leg on each point.. Make sense ?

It doesnt hurt to pull up the carpet and look at the subfloor at least. Or get a mini camera from walmart or harbor freight and look in the drywall at the joists..

FSJGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2019, 11:01 AM   #27
Constantine
Registered Member

There is a section of basement ceiling exposed in the utility area. I should be able to assume it's the same for the rest of the house, although it's not a guarantee. I have 2x10 joists positioned 16" centers. The new tank will go up against a support wall with joists spanning 13'. The tank should cross over 3 of the joists. This should totally be more than sufficient for an 800 lb tank. However, if I experience the same issues, I'll know there is something substandard going on with the house.

Constantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2019, 01:09 PM   #28
Constantine
Registered Member

UPDATE-

I transferred everything successfully from my 55 wobble tank and into my 75. I can jump next to it and there is no shaking or wobbling. It is in a corner, and sits across 3 joists. The span is shorter for these joists, and it's right next to a support wall.

Thanks for all the comments.

Constantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2019, 07:19 PM   #29
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Quickest way to get kids attention is yell Who wants ice cream!

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2019, 07:41 PM   #30
brian3
Registered Member

Houses are typically designed for a live load around 50 lb/sq ft per code so most tanks exceed that by a large margin. Having it against a wall that is supported below is key and it sounds like that is what you have now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
There is a section of basement ceiling exposed in the utility area. I should be able to assume it's the same for the rest of the house, although it's not a guarantee. I have 2x10 joists positioned 16" centers. The new tank will go up against a support wall with joists spanning 13'. The tank should cross over 3 of the joists. This should totally be more than sufficient for an 800 lb tank. However, if I experience the same issues, I'll know there is something substandard going on with the house.

brian3 is offline   Reply With Quote