Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/12/2018, 04:44 PM   #1
eder10986
Registered Member

2 y/o bean animal now doesn’t purge?

We have a bean animal system which we love and is super quiet. Lately (the last three months or so) the system doesn’t purge for sometimes hours. So the ¼” airline gurgles for hours. There have been zero changes to anything in our system. Our drain pipes are ¼” below water and line previously stated we have never had a problem before. The system would purge in MAYBE 5 minutes and be quiet. Any ideas?

eder10986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2018, 04:49 PM   #2
DougSupreme
Registered Member

Have you tried opening and then closing the siphon stand pipe? Possibly it's not flowing correctly causing excessive water to flow down the open channel?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef
DougSupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2018, 04:57 PM   #3
eder10986
Registered Member

I’ll give that a shot right now. I have a feeling it won’t work but I’ve been known to be wrong before. From what I know opening and closing the valve raises do lowers the water level in the overflow, only, is that right?

Unread 04/12/2018, 06:00 PM   #4
Gorgok
Registered Member

Does it cycle, flushing the open channel (entering siphon) or does the emergency just handle the excess flow without the siphon starting?

Gorgok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2018, 06:26 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eder10986 View Post
I’ll give that a shot right now. I have a feeling it won’t work but I’ve been known to be wrong before. From what I know opening and closing the valve raises do lowers the water level in the overflow, only, is that right?
That is not correct..
It regulates the amount of flow that the full siphon channel takes which effects how much goes down the open channel..
Sounds like you need to open the valve slightly to allow a bit more flow through the full siphon..
You may just have some buildup,etc... inside the pipes/stuck at the valve,etc.. and the flow can change over time as that happens..
Thats why bean added the caps to each pipe so that you can open them and basically give it a pipe cleaning as needed..

Its not uncommon for it to need a bit of adjustment every now and then..

Unread 04/12/2018, 09:17 PM   #6
eder10986
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgok View Post
Does it cycle, flushing the open channel (entering siphon) or does the emergency just handle the excess flow without the siphon starting?

It cycles. Drains fine. Just loud. Gurgles. Overflow fills up then drains fast. Fills up drains fast.

I did play win the valve and it’s so much better though! I fed and so we stopped the return and then it took 20 or so minutes to purge. Better than all day long.

Unread 04/12/2018, 09:18 PM   #7
eder10986
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
That is not correct..

It regulates the amount of flow that the full siphon channel takes which effects how much goes down the open channel..

Sounds like you need to open the valve slightly to allow a bit more flow through the full siphon..

You may just have some buildup,etc... inside the pipes/stuck at the valve,etc.. and the flow can change over time as that happens..

Thats why bean added the caps to each pipe so that you can open them and basically give it a pipe cleaning as needed..

Its not uncommon for it to need a bit of adjustment every now and then..

Good to know. I hadn’t played with it in ages. Took a while to tune then it was set t and forget it.

Doing better now. Thanks for the feedback fellas.

Unread 04/13/2018, 09:15 AM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

No overflow is really "Set it and forget it".. Some are just more forgiving than others but in general a bit of adjustment may be needed from time to time with all of them..
Sounds like you got it sorted..

Unread 04/13/2018, 06:54 PM   #9
eder10986
Registered Member

I did. Thanks! Literally best setup ive ever had. Not one sound once it purges.

Unread 04/13/2018, 08:32 PM   #10
Lsufan
Registered Member

How is your open channel compared to the syphon height wise. A lot of times what happens is the open channel takes on to much water on startup causing it to not build up enough for the syphon to purge its air. I don’t know if it’s possible on your setup, but it would help if u can raise the open channel to where it is 1/2” to 1” above the syphon. By doing that it almost immediately purged the air to where the syphon gets going in less then a minute.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2018, 06:13 AM   #11
eder10986
Registered Member

Unfortunately my tank is drilled and bulkheads are at the same heights. But now that I’ve re tuned it it takes maybe 3-4 minutes to purge and then it’s dead silent. I’ll call that a win.

Unread 04/14/2018, 10:33 PM   #12
Lsufan
Registered Member

It sounds like your return pump has slowed down some & made the water level in the overflow box drop. It may be time for a cleaning. If I had to guess u actually had to close the valve a little bit to get it tuned, which means u have a little less flow then before

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote