Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 04/14/2019, 12:58 PM   #1
Melfy77
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 47
Fish stocking for 30 FO

Hi!
I've kept manu saltwater tanks in the past (most of them between 5 and 20g). I set up a 30g FO des weeks ago
I already have a yellow watchman/randall pistol shrimp pair. I also plan on having :
Pair of pink skunk clownfish
Valentini puffer

I was thinking one other fish, like a carpenter's wrasse.
I like the jawfish but only have 1 1/2 Or 2 inches of sand so clearly not enough lol


Melfy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/14/2019, 04:46 PM   #2
mike61289
Registered Member
 
mike61289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 392
The watchman goby and shrimp pair is a great start! As for the rest, it's not a great idea. Pink skunk clowns get pretty big. A pair would be a bit much for a 30 gallon. A valentini puffer can theoretically be kept in a tank that size, but your pistol shrimp might be dinner.

Consider other fish and maybe try to keep the list to 3 smaller fish. A royal gramma would be a nice addition. You can consider a banggai cardinal (even a pair). There are options, but the list is still limited in a 30 gallon.


__________________
Just keep swimming... Just keep swimming... Just keep swimming swimming swimming. What do we do? We swim swim!
mike61289 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/14/2019, 04:58 PM   #3
Melfy77
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike61289 View Post
The watchman goby and shrimp pair is a great start! As for the rest, it's not a great idea. Pink skunk clowns get pretty big. A pair would be a bit much for a 30 gallon. A valentini puffer can theoretically be kept in a tank that size, but your pistol shrimp might be dinner.

Consider other fish and maybe try to keep the list to 3 smaller fish. A royal gramma would be a nice addition. You can consider a banggai cardinal (even a pair). There are options, but the list is still limited in a 30 gallon.
My girls really wanted pink clownfish haha. I've owned baggai before and hated them. Not active at all and not super colorful. I want something différent (also had dottyback and gramma in the past).
What about a jawfish?


Melfy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/14/2019, 05:29 PM   #4
Melfy77
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melfy77 View Post
My girls really wanted pink clownfish haha. I've owned baggai before and hated them. Not active at all and not super colorful. I want something différent (also had dottyback and gramma in the past).
What about a jawfish?
I should also and I really want a pair of something. Clownfish are great because 2 juvies will become (most likely) a pair. I don't know a lot of fish that do this. I think the green banded goby does but too small for this tank


Melfy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/14/2019, 06:10 PM   #5
mike61289
Registered Member
 
mike61289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 392
The jawfish needs a deeper sandbed.

From what I understand, you want pink, pairing, and different. What about a pair of helfrichi firefish? They're expensive and rare, but somewhat pink and extremely beautiful. I just don't know how the goby would like them. You would also need to ensure that the tank is covered.

Like I said before, 30 gallons isn't that big. Your options are pretty limited.


__________________
Just keep swimming... Just keep swimming... Just keep swimming swimming swimming. What do we do? We swim swim!
mike61289 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/14/2019, 06:31 PM   #6
Melfy77
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike61289 View Post
The jawfish needs a deeper sandbed.

From what I understand, you want pink, pairing, and different. What about a pair of helfrichi firefish? They're expensive and rare, but somewhat pink and extremely beautiful. I just don't know how the goby would like them. You would also need to ensure that the tank is covered.

Like I said before, 30 gallons isn't that big. Your options are pretty limited.
They are gorgeous!!! My LFS had a pair few weeks ago...250$...There goes my groceries for the month
I know 30g is small (well after running a 8g it looks to me lol) but my landlord would freak if I got something bigger
I'll keep looking. But the Valentini is staying on the list. I had one and it jumped. We were heartbroken. So much personnality. It ate a peppermint shrimp as big as him and was just looking at my saying "oh this? I don't know what happened...much be a snail..." His fat belly gave him away


Melfy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/14/2019, 06:33 PM   #7
Melfy77
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 47
And this tank had a lid on it


Melfy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2019, 11:30 AM   #8
mike61289
Registered Member
 
mike61289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 392
Maybe remove the shrimp in your tank then if you still want the puffer. Getting a fish that's going to kill your other livestock isn't worth it. The shrimp has a life too after all.


__________________
Just keep swimming... Just keep swimming... Just keep swimming swimming swimming. What do we do? We swim swim!
mike61289 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2019, 03:51 PM   #9
Melfy77
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 47
I won't get the puffer. Pink clownfish yes though. It had to be one or the other. 2 pink skunk and the goby/shrimp combo. Not exactly what I had in mind but oh well my kids win hahaha


Melfy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2019, 05:27 PM   #10
mike61289
Registered Member
 
mike61289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 392
Just be ready... You'll likely have to pull those clowns out when they get big. They get bigger than the usual ocellaris and percula clowns.


__________________
Just keep swimming... Just keep swimming... Just keep swimming swimming swimming. What do we do? We swim swim!
mike61289 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:12 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright ©1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.