Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/03/2019, 08:55 PM   #1
kartrsu
Registered Member

Cleaner shrimp behavior change after turkey basting rock

Hey guys,

I recently cleaned my rock work by turkey basting them and blowing off debris (hermit crabs and snails poop so much). Kicked up some dust into the water and my shrimps have in kind of a weird malaise just hanging out in spots and not getting excited and doing the praying thing when I get close to the tank. However when I add fish pellets to the tank, they go crazy looking for food, so I know that’s a good sign. Could it be that the dust affected them or are they now chilling out because they may be molting soon (I’ve been a pretty heavy feeder recently). Anyone else have experience with shrimp behavior changing after turkey basting their rocks?

Tank info: 20 gallons, Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate at 0/0/5 ppm. Salinity at 35ppt and alkalinity at 7.3dkh. Calcium at 420-440. Parameters have not changed before and after turkey basting. Running purigen, rox 0.8 carbon, and poly filter to polish the crap outta the water.

Thanks everyone!

kartrsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2019, 11:26 AM   #2
ROB2005
Reefing Is My Passion!

Nothing out of the ordinary that I know. I guess they didn't smell any food particles in the dust you stirred up

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon corner overflow, 4-54W T-5 , dozen blue hermits, tiger pistol/yellow watchman goby, royal gramma, banghai and pajama cardinals
ROB2005 is offline   Reply With Quote