Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/13/2013, 04:48 PM   #51
halmus
Registered Member

I haven't had any bad experiences with any particular brand of heater. I've been using Finnex Titanium heaters without any trouble. But, I have been running a controller on my system as backup to make sure the aquarium never overheats (shutting off the outlet) or fails to heat (by sending me a message). I've never had either of those two cases happen, but it's nice to have the peace of mind.

My only recommendation is stay away from glass heaters. They're a nightmare waiting to happen.

This is a little late for a response, because you probably already went shopping today. What did you get?

halmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2013, 05:32 PM   #52
1fishkeeper
Registered Member

Haven't gotten anything yet. Still reading reviews and trying to do some planning on controllers also.

Unread 10/14/2013, 06:17 PM   #53
1fishkeeper
Registered Member

Well nothing like getting 6 guys from Guam to come help me move my tank into my house. They were telling me what to put in it so when it gets big enough they can come get it to eat.

I also got my first livestock in the tank today. Nothing like having a catfish looking for a meal.

Unread 10/14/2013, 08:27 PM   #54
petere1989
Registered Member

awesome tank. good luck with the build!

petere1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2013, 09:53 PM   #55
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

My cats want inside mine too... But I am afraid my ritteri would eat them.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2013, 10:05 PM   #56
1fishkeeper
Registered Member

Yeah the problem with this cat is he likes the water. He will jump in the bathtub with my daughter all the time. He gets in it and just swims around the bathtub. He even does it with my freshwater tank but the funny thing is he doesn't even go after any of the fish. I have only seen him once in the salt tank. I guess the corals are sharp and hurts his feet that is the only reason I can think of why he doesn't get into it more.

Unread 10/15/2013, 02:14 PM   #57
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

That is funny... a true catfish.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2013, 08:36 PM   #58
1fishkeeper
Registered Member

Well time to do some rethinking on my plumbing. I was looking at the drain and return pipes this evening. Well on the bulkhead it has glued hose barb on the bottle of it. I was going to hard plumb it all but I guess since they are glued I might see if I can get some flex spa hose for the drain lines. As for the returns I will stick with my plan for the most part with a manifold then after the "T" to go up to the bulkhead then get some barbs to go with some soft lines. Time to do some planning and drawing up things on some paper I guess. So much for getting the drain lines done tonight.

Unread 10/15/2013, 08:37 PM   #59
1fishkeeper
Registered Member

Woops I should read before I post. Sorry for the wrong words and spelling. I guess I have had three to many hard ciders.

Unread 10/15/2013, 08:39 PM   #60
1fishkeeper
Registered Member

One more question how many people glue the pipes on the drains?

Unread 10/18/2013, 05:30 PM   #61
leveldrummer
Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fishkeeper View Post
One more question how many people glue the pipes on the drains?
you talking about inside the overflow? dont glue it into the bulkhead, you can glue the pipe and fittings together, but just press it tightly into the bulk head, its common for fish to get into the overflow and sometimes the only way to get them out is to pull the drain out of the bulkhead and let them ride the water slide down into the sump.

leveldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2013, 07:44 PM   #62
1fishkeeper
Registered Member

I ended up gluing the pipe to the "T" part of the drain. As for where it goes into the bulkhead it has a threaded fitting. I should be done with all of the plumbing this weekend that is if I can get a few hours to finish it up.

Unread 10/18/2013, 09:18 PM   #63
Bigeyo
Registered Member

Tank looks great and thank you for your service!

Bigeyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2013, 05:24 PM   #64
Joe0813
Registered Member

good progress on your tank..... and thank you very much for your services in Iraq for this country

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2013, 06:47 PM   #65
Joe0813
Registered Member

what are the dimensions of the tank, and what are you planning on for fish?

Unread 10/19/2013, 09:03 PM   #66
1fishkeeper
Registered Member

Thanks Joe, The tank is 60 x 27 x 27. As for fish I don't have a clue as of yet. Right now I am having a hard time trying to decide on equipment.

Unread 10/19/2013, 09:04 PM   #67
1fishkeeper
Registered Member

Ok I guess I have a question for everyone. Should I get a Ranco controller for my heaters or should I just get a Reef Keeper or Apex and us it to control my heaters?

Unread 10/19/2013, 11:55 PM   #68
dave.m
Registered Member

A general controller like the Apex is a whole-tank decision. It would be a waste of money to get such a system for just the heaters. Consider the costs of the heater-only controller versus the whole-tank controller, decide what you can afford, and if a whole-tank controller is doable for you, start thinking about overall measurement and control for automating the tank's operations. If going the whole-tank route is outside your budget then suddenly the dedicated heater controller begins to make more sense.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2013, 01:14 AM   #69
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

I just read your build again and the title caught my attention. I too use my reef for therapy. I started 1 June 2009 after extensive research. Before that I was reading how elderly, ADHD, and autistic individuals where improving with their lifestyle when an aquarium was present.

I too served in Iraq right after 9/11. Almost to the day five years I was hit by a roadside bomb and was hospitalized almost 3 years. Once I started reefing my way of life changed drastically.

You have a great build going and keep up the good work.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2013, 05:14 AM   #70
Assassynation
Registered Member

Looks great! Are you going to use your 40B as a Qt tank or are you going to part it out?

Assassynation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2013, 08:31 AM   #71
1fishkeeper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
A general controller like the Apex is a whole-tank decision. It would be a waste of money to get such a system for just the heaters. Consider the costs of the heater-only controller versus the whole-tank controller, decide what you can afford, and if a whole-tank controller is doable for you, start thinking about overall measurement and control for automating the tank's operations. If going the whole-tank route is outside your budget then suddenly the dedicated heater controller begins to make more sense.

Dave.M
I have looked at controllers for the entire tank. I have been thinking about getting one or I might just hold off for a little while to get one. I don't know for sure on that one. One day I say yes and the next I say I really don't need it.

Unread 10/20/2013, 08:46 AM   #72
1fishkeeper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Aquarist View Post
I just read your build again and the title caught my attention. I too use my reef for therapy. I started 1 June 2009 after extensive research. Before that I was reading how elderly, ADHD, and autistic individuals where improving with their lifestyle when an aquarium was present.

I too served in Iraq right after 9/11. Almost to the day five years I was hit by a roadside bomb and was hospitalized almost 3 years. Once I started reefing my way of life changed drastically.

You have a great build going and keep up the good work.
Yeah I can't believe how much it has helped me with my PTSD. But I have to give you a big thank you. What part of that S**T hole were you in?

I myself was in a*s-cracker-stan (I love what I call it) back in Oct 2001. One of the first ones with boots on the ground. Then I went to Iraq in the end of 2002 then my second trip was in 2004. That is when my military life would end. Murphys law got me. The day before I did my indeff reelistetment. Three of us were on my sniper team had over watch of a guy we knew was making the IED and VBIED. I had a thumbs up to take the target when we could. We were on top of a hill all done up so no one could make us out. Well while we were waiting some kids were playing soccer right next us on the flat spot of the hill. Someone kicked the ball over us. When the kid went to get it he didn't even know we were right there. Until he tripped over us. The next thing we knew they were running back into town. We called up asking to see if we can change our location. Well the uppers were taking their sweet time making up there minds about it. The next thing we knew we could hear the sounds of outbound mortars being fired. We took off running when they started to hit all around us. All three of us were hit. We were lucky another group of guys were not that far away I could hear it happening so they came rushing over to help us. I owe them big time. They were able to get us back to the FOB and the hospital. We all were sent to Germany for medical and then back state side for rehab. All of us were med-ed out of the army.
I have had my ups and downs but like I said the aquarium is one of the biggest helpers. As I hate the answer to what the doctors say just take this pill and that pill.

Last edited by 1fishkeeper; 10/20/2013 at 08:56 AM.
1fishkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2013, 09:28 AM   #73
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fishkeeper View Post
Yeah I can't believe how much it has helped me with my PTSD. But I have to give you a big thank you. What part of that S**T hole were you in?

I myself was in a*s-cracker-stan (I love what I call it) back in Oct 2001. One of the first ones with boots on the ground. Then I went to Iraq in the end of 2002 then my second trip was in 2004. That is when my military life would end. Murphys law got me. The day before I did my indeff reelistetment. Three of us were on my sniper team had over watch of a guy we knew was making the IED and VBIED. I had a thumbs up to take the target when we could. We were on top of a hill all done up so no one could make us out. Well while we were waiting some kids were playing soccer right next us on the flat spot of the hill. Someone kicked the ball over us. When the kid went to get it he didn't even know we were right there. Until he tripped over us. The next thing we knew they were running back into town. We called up asking to see if we can change our location. Well the uppers were taking their sweet time making up there minds about it. The next thing we knew we could hear the sounds of outbound mortars being fired. We took off running when they started to hit all around us. All three of us were hit. We were lucky another group of guys were not that far away I could hear it happening so they came rushing over to help us. I owe them big time. They were able to get us back to the FOB and the hospital. We all were sent to Germany for medical and then back state side for rehab. All of us were med-ed out of the army.
I have had my ups and downs but like I said the aquarium is one of the biggest helpers. As I hate the answer to what the doctors say just take this pill and that pill.
I was at anaconda. I was in the army. I was at Walter Reed from 2004 - 2006 then did a year here. I was in the back of a PLS truck converted as a gun truck. We passed an IED and the blast caught me. But reefing saved me.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2013, 09:32 AM   #74
Joe0813
Registered Member

sorry to hear about your deployment... you men and women really do inspire me to be a better person for what you all go through when your over there.... so a big thank you to you and newbie for your services

Unread 10/20/2013, 05:25 PM   #75
1fishkeeper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0813 View Post
sorry to hear about your deployment... you men and women really do inspire me to be a better person for what you all go through when your over there.... so a big thank you to you and newbie for your services
Thanks Joe