Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2020, 02:01 AM   #6101
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Unfortunately, I found the tiny one dead on Wednesday morning. Since the bristeleworms had already started to eat the body there was no way to tell what killed him. He didn't look emaciated the last time I saw him and had no fin damage as an indicator of attacks, so disease can't be excluded as a cause, especially since I observed the clownfish scraping himself and I noticed that AC seems to have something going on in their fish system.
The good news is that the larger one is by now eating flakes and Mysis, both not very enthusiastically yet but enough to sustain him.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2020, 06:00 PM   #6102
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Finally got around to shoot a video of the baby regal. By now he is eating flakes pretty good - in fact better than mysis:

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 02/17/2020, 06:22 PM   #6103
pfan151
Registered Member

Here’s mine that came from NYAquatics. Doing very well. Eating aggressively now. Seems to like TDO pellets and clams the best. It’s definitely not shy anymore. It’s actually been a bit pushy towards the established copperband

https://youtu.be/9Cz0ILy4bDQ

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2020, 06:23 AM   #6104
alton
Registered Member

I have been lucky creating pairs from small juveniles but not this time. I ordered two from my LFS and placed them in my office tank where I can watch them and feed them 8 times a day. After three days the one was chasing the other way to much so I trapped the one and took her home to put it in my 100 gallon rubbermaid tub. The meany is in the second picture.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg regal 2-17-20 trap.jpg (87.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg regal 2-17-20 office tank.jpg (101.4 KB, 30 views)
alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2020, 06:43 AM   #6105
OrionN
Moved on

Don’t you already have Regal in your home tank also?

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2020, 06:45 AM   #6106
OrionN
Moved on

Alton,
My two, that I got from you is too close is size, same size. I wonder if we should swab, one of mine fro one of your smaller one?

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 02/18/2020, 09:29 AM   #6107
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Don’t you already have Regal in your home tank also?
Yes my pair is made, I had the little one in my office for months before moving her.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Regals 2-17-20.jpg (105.2 KB, 23 views)
Unread 02/18/2020, 09:30 AM   #6108
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Alton,
My two, that I got from you is too close is size, same size. I wonder if we should swab, one of mine fro one of your smaller one?
I can do that, lets give this one sometime to start eating well and gain some weight.

Unread 02/18/2020, 10:42 AM   #6109
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Alton, are those Maldives, Red Sea, or Sumatra regals?

BTW, a while ago I found a research paper about angelfish age which also covered sex and sex change. One thing noted there was not all individuals necessarily start out as females but that with some species you find a certain percentage of individuals who started life as males.
I kind of wonder if regal angel might belong to the species which may have primary males.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Unread 02/18/2020, 02:18 PM   #6110
alton
Registered Member

Maldives Regals, juveniles come available in February, this year some came in December but where very skinny. I ended up losing 1 of 2. The one that lived ate like a horse and was fast to eat since she had to compete against wrasses. (Far right in post #6107) This little guy in picture #2 in post 6104 came in with fin damage, while the slightly smaller did not. So while he was at Quality Marine did he get in a fight with maybe some other males while the females don't fight? Maybe one day we can figure this all out?

Unread 02/19/2020, 01:48 AM   #6111
ThRoewer
Registered Member

LA has Maldives juveniles listed as in stock. Normally they sold out quickly but it seems with their new restrictions people are far more hesitant to order from them.

Unread 02/19/2020, 05:37 AM   #6112
alton
Registered Member

The price they are advertising maybe a hindrance also? I had my LFS order my two, much cheaper price.

Unread 02/19/2020, 09:56 AM   #6113
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
The price they are advertising maybe a hindrance also? I had my LFS order my two, much cheaper price.
Yeah that as well. Unfortunately, I don't have an LFS here that orders from Quality Marine. Seems their policies and minimum order limits are somewhat off-putting.

Unread 02/19/2020, 12:18 PM   #6114
moga
Registered Member

Here's mine~ kept it for 5 years. and very healthy and happy~

30x30x20 cube with GHL LED Mitras LED lighting tank. No sump is good tank~
moga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2020, 12:47 PM   #6115
alton
Registered Member

Very nice

Unread 02/23/2020, 02:46 AM   #6116
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Here’s mine that came from NYAquatics. Doing very well. Eating aggressively now. Seems to like TDO pellets and clams the best. It’s definitely not shy anymore. It’s actually been a bit pushy towards the established copperband

https://youtu.be/9Cz0ILy4bDQ
Where is that one from, Philippines?

I miss my large Philippine Regal. I had him for nearly 5 years and he had great color. He also survived quite a few catastrophes. And then, one day, he stopped eating, got reclusive, and was dead a few days later... no idea what killed him, but no other fish had any issues.

Unread 02/24/2020, 06:16 AM   #6117
alton
Registered Member

I normally post good news on here but I think I need to post the negative also. Since 2012 I have had fairly great luck with Regal Angels both Red Sea and Maldives. Regals came from NYAquatics, Petco, My LFS, and Live Aquaria. I would say I had a 90% success rate. While I was trying to make pairs some on here, co-workers husbands, and a lfs enjoyed getting the ones that didn't work out. Now here comes the bad, I ordered two juveniles from LA late 2019, one ate well the other not so and perished fairly quickly. The one resides in my 310 with a larger one and eats very well. This month I ordered two from my LFS and after some delays they came in. Once again one is eating the other did not. I moved the one to my home isolation tank where it perished after three days and it never did eat. In the past I labeled Maldives Regals as bullet proof, I can't say that anymore. One thing I left out was I ordered from LA last year a medium sized adult and it never ate. So in the last year I went from 90% to 40%. I am bailing from the Regal Angel market, hopefully collection practices get better.

Unread 02/24/2020, 06:21 AM   #6118
OrionN
Moved on

Alton is really good at getting Regal Angels to acclimated to captivity. I am one of the reefer that benefit from this. I am sorry that you not doing this anymore, but I am glad that I got my last pair from you. Thanks

Unread 02/25/2020, 01:32 AM   #6119
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
I normally post good news on here but I think I need to post the negative also. Since 2012 I have had fairly great luck with Regal Angels both Red Sea and Maldives. Regals came from NYAquatics, Petco, My LFS, and Live Aquaria. I would say I had a 90% success rate. While I was trying to make pairs some on here, co-workers husbands, and a lfs enjoyed getting the ones that didn't work out. Now here comes the bad, I ordered two juveniles from LA late 2019, one ate well the other not so and perished fairly quickly. The one resides in my 310 with a larger one and eats very well. This month I ordered two from my LFS and after some delays they came in. Once again one is eating the other did not. I moved the one to my home isolation tank where it perished after three days and it never did eat. In the past I labeled Maldives Regals as bullet proof, I can't say that anymore. One thing I left out was I ordered from LA last year a medium sized adult and it never ate. So in the last year I went from 90% to 40%. I am bailing from the Regal Angel market, hopefully collection practices get better.
Sad to hear this!
Since I won't buy from LA anymore after they changed their warranty policies I have Jordan look for a baby Maldives Regal for me. From what he reports it seems the Maldives Regals that come in right now are in pretty poor shape.
I don't think Regal Angels are truly difficult, just not treated correctly in the supply chain.

Unread 02/25/2020, 06:43 AM   #6120
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Sad to hear this!
Since I won't buy from LA anymore after they changed their warranty policies I have Jordan look for a baby Maldives Regal for me. From what he reports it seems the Maldives Regals that come in right now are in pretty poor shape.
I don't think Regal Angels are truly difficult, just not treated correctly in the supply chain.
I agree 100%. Normally fish get treated poorly because of price decreases, the Maldives Regals have only gone up in price and down in quality.

Unread 02/25/2020, 09:16 AM   #6121
ThRoewer
Registered Member

In my experience, the Maldives had always been a location from where superior livestock came because everything was hand collected and treated well. It seems like that has changed.
There is of course also the possibility that we are are seeing the effects of warming oceans, acidification, and more storms ...

Unread 02/25/2020, 09:40 AM   #6122
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Pretty common for them to take a few days to get eating. Regals aren’t a fish I do TTM on though. I prefer to just observe them in a tank with a lot of live rock to get them picking at the rocks. Seems to get them to settle in and start eating faster.
I too observe, then once eating well use CP

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2020, 10:32 AM   #6123
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
I too observe, then once eating well use CP
How, or more precisely where do you treat with CP? I would think that it would have to be a sterile tank to be sure that the CP is actually working and not being consumed or rendered ineffective by bacteria.
I'm also not sure if Amyloodinium is actually a big problem with Regals. Should they come infected with it I would expect them to die of it before starting to feed.
It might actually be better to use virgin black mollies as detectors in the observation tank before putting a new Regal through any treatment. And they could at the same time function as acclimatization buddies.

Unread 02/25/2020, 02:19 PM   #6124
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
How, or more precisely where do you treat with CP? I would think that it would have to be a sterile tank to be sure that the CP is actually working and not being consumed or rendered ineffective by bacteria.
I'm also not sure if Amyloodinium is actually a big problem with Regals. Should they come infected with it I would expect them to die of it before starting to feed.
It might actually be better to use virgin black mollies as detectors in the observation tank before putting a new Regal through any treatment. And they could at the same time function as acclimatization buddies.

Every fish I get goes thru treatment for flukes and ich/velvet whether they show signs of it or not. I have a QT that is up and running most of the time and though there is bacteria in the tank if I retreat daily at 4mg/per gallon the bacteria in the tank doesn’t seem to make a difference. In the past I had a ich outbreak in my DT and used this method of treatment with success too.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2020, 07:57 AM   #6125
alton
Registered Member

After losing many fish due to unknown issues everything goes into my office tank or an isolation tank at home. Nothing goes into my 310 display tank until months have gone by and I know there are no issues. My last issue was a Disease that only affected large angels. Tangs, wrasses, pygmy angels where not affected. The only large angel which survived, was the larger regal in the picture above which was a juvenile at the time. All my fish go from acclimation to freshwater dip, to a 3 hour or more prazi bath. As why the Maldives Regals are coming so poorly shipped you could also look at the Gem Tang which is a very hardy tang but recently have been shipped in poor condition at a discounted rate. The following is a picture of my latest regal that is eating very well (sorry about the hair algae)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Regal and 3 wrasses 2-26-20.jpg (71.1 KB, 16 views)