Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2020, 02:10 AM   #1
kupadupapupa
Registered Member

Good live rock vendor?

Anyone know any good live rock vendors that sell fiji rock?

kupadupapupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2020, 01:22 PM   #2
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I don't think that is available anymore. I think the choices are farmed Florida live rock and dry dead rock.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2020, 01:52 PM   #3
ThRoewer
Registered Member

See if you can get some from people breaking their tanks down... These days that's pretty much the only way to get actual live rock.
Only other option would be to get a boat, sail it to a coral island, load up the ballast tanks with illegally harvested rock,...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2020, 02:02 PM   #4
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Tampa Bay Saltwater and Gulf Live Rock are two farmed live rock venders that would happily sell you legal, and legitimately good live rock. I like gulfliverock.com because they include shipping in the price, and the rock is bursting with life.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018

Last edited by Michael Hoaster; 02/16/2020 at 02:14 PM.
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2020, 02:12 PM   #5
Misled
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
I think the choices are farmed Florida live rock
Got mine here.

Unread 02/16/2020, 02:36 PM   #6
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Tampa Bay Saltwater and Gulf Live Rock are two farmed live rock venders that would happily sell you legal, and legitimately good live rock. I like gulfliverock.dot because they include shipping in the price, and the rock is bursting with life.
From what I understand they use mined fossil reef rocks or man-made rocks and put them into the ocean to be resettled with life. It's definitely great rock, especially if you are setting up a Caribbean biotope tank. Though, most people will have trouble to maintain most of the lifeforms that come with those rocks.
Those rocks also lack the internal micro porosity of ocean grown live rock. And that micro porosity is one of the greatest value of ocean grown live rock.

What is the best solution depends largely on what kind of tank you want to set up.
For an SPS tank you might actually be best served with mined or man-made rocks as they are definitely free of pests.
For a tank with finicky fish (mandarins, pipefish, seahorses,...) or if you like all those little hitchhikers that come with rocks from the ocean then the cultured rocks are are your best choice.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2020, 12:21 PM   #7
clevername
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
From what I understand they use mined fossil reef rocks or man-made rocks and put them into the ocean to be resettled with life. It's definitely great rock, especially if you are setting up a Caribbean biotope tank. Though, most people will have trouble to maintain most of the lifeforms that come with those rocks.
Those rocks also lack the internal micro porosity of ocean grown live rock. And that micro porosity is one of the greatest value of ocean grown live rock.

What is the best solution depends largely on what kind of tank you want to set up.
For an SPS tank you might actually be best served with mined or man-made rocks as they are definitely free of pests.
For a tank with finicky fish (mandarins, pipefish, seahorses,...) or if you like all those little hitchhikers that come with rocks from the ocean then the cultured rocks are are your best choice.

Agree with this. I would look into WHY you want ocean live rock and go from there. I think people like the idea on paper but when it comes into action, i see over and over its a whole mess. With HUGE die off, then algae bloom, then pests and diseases. I know we like to THINK we are keeping a little slice of the ocean but its actually extremely hard to do. Ocean rock has way more things mother nature keeps in check that we cannot.

clevername is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2020, 01:05 PM   #8
dadnjesse
Registered Member

I bought live rock from Gulf Live Rock. It came covered in Aiptasia. I tried to keep it in a container and kill it but the stuff keeps coming back. I gave up and stuck the rock outside in the snow. Aquacultured live rock claims to be Aiptasia free.

dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2020, 07:29 AM   #9
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
Got mine here.
+1 by far the best live rock available on the market. I have purchased from Richard a few times and since he only ships air freight the rock doesn't die off on the trip to you, like all other rock you will get. He also has pukani live rock which is covered in life, I purchased a single 60lb piece from him and the only thing that died off from the trip were 2 shrimp that hitch hiked and a sea squirt.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2020, 10:53 AM   #10
Timfish
Registered Member

You definitely want to get maricultured live rock. It's the best source for the cryptic sponges so essential to removing the labile DOC that can cause problems with corals. (My preference is Gulf Live Rock but make sure you specify air frieght.) For more information on how DOC impacts reefs a very readable introduction is Forest ROhwer's "COral Reefs in the Microbial Seas". For more detailed info here's two searches on Scholar.google you can look at

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?h...DCNS+DOC&btnG=

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?h...+sponges&btnG=

Unread 02/25/2020, 11:26 PM   #11
kupadupapupa
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, i will look into Tampa Bay Saltwater

kupadupapupa is offline   Reply With Quote