Registered Member

what lighting do you have on this tank?

Unread 05/11/2006, 09:29 PM   #52
Chip Douglas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crb10
what lighting do you have on this tank?
He runs 9 54-watt T5s. The bulb combination consists of six ATI Aquablue Special (11,000K) and three ATI Blue Plus (Radium equivalent) in ATI parabolic reflectors.

Chip Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2006, 08:32 PM   #53
jakano
Registered Member

hey danano i currently run 2 250 watt metal halides on my 110 tall and i am sick of the heat issues. i want to switch over to t-5 and was going to use the aqua medic 8x54 pendant but was concerned about the depth of my tank as its is 30". this tank is only an lps, softy tank and it also has one large squamossa clam on the sand bed. since i really dont have anything that really needs alot of light i was thinking my tank would be fine switching but if you dont mind adding your thoughts to this i would be very grateful. i am also going to start a small 20L sps here in the near future and was searching for a halide setup for that . but after seeing your tank i might go t-5 there as well. 8x24 should be enough i would think but the fixture is only 24" long and my tank is 30" does t-5 light spill over pretty good or is it straight down light?

jakano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2006, 09:08 PM   #54
Brewen
Premium Member

Awesome tank, your TOTM thread is still in my favorite list as inspiration. Thanks for sharing your tank again.

Brewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2006, 09:11 PM   #55
Chip Douglas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jakano
hey danano i currently run 2 250 watt metal halides on my 110 tall and i am sick of the heat issues. i want to switch over to t-5 and was going to use the aqua medic 8x54 pendant but was concerned about the depth of my tank as its is 30". this tank is only an lps, softy tank and it also has one large squamossa clam on the sand bed. since i really dont have anything that really needs alot of light i was thinking my tank would be fine switching but if you dont mind adding your thoughts to this i would be very grateful. i am also going to start a small 20L sps here in the near future and was searching for a halide setup for that . but after seeing your tank i might go t-5 there as well. 8x24 should be enough i would think but the fixture is only 24" long and my tank is 30" does t-5 light spill over pretty good or is it straight down light?
What's that Aquamedic one look like? You have any links to it? Danano uses ATI stuff but as far as I know there is nowhere to get it in the states. I'd like to set-up a 90 my brother has in the garage with T5 some day since it's 24" tall but I don't know what brand I'd go with.

Unread 05/15/2006, 11:34 PM   #56
Chip Douglas
Registered Member

I just looked at those Auamedic fixtures and they look really nice, and cheaper then I expected.

The only thing I'm curious about is Danano suggests running the bulbs very close to the surface and I'd be worried about having a pendant fixture that has the ballasts built inside hanging right over the water. It seems like setting the bulbs over the top of the tank and keeping the ballasts down under the stand would be safer. What do you think?

Unread 05/16/2006, 02:49 PM   #57
jakano
Registered Member

i wouldnt think it would be a problem. im sure they considered that when designing these pendants.

jakano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2006, 11:01 PM   #58
hahnmeister
Moved On

The linear output of T5s should allow them to penetrate better than halides. (Inverse Square law). I can say that 216 watts pf T5 easily makes more output than 250watts of halide. I wouldnt worry one bit about height with T5s.

hahnmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2006, 12:25 AM   #59
ccyflai
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by danano
Thanks Chip, you pretty much summed up the changes I've made in the past year. Plus I changed my bulbs out after 20 months. They could have probably lasted another several months. Spot on, the SSB is just for aesthetics. For this very reason, I do not think I would ever go BB. I skim dry.

Hi danano,

As I know there is no supply of ATI bulbs in Singapore, what bulbs are you using now? D&D or the new AquaScience? I am curoius to know how do you compare the old ATI bulbs with the new one?

ccyflai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2006, 04:30 PM   #60
elephen
Moved On

Boy someone could make some money if they started importing-distributing the ATI fixture line in the states.

elephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2006, 03:25 PM   #61
CamBarr
Registered Member

why would they need to there are equivalent fixtures here

EX: SLS TEK Light,Aquamedic, Icecap you will start to see more and more i think the key to getting a god quality fixture is just the reflectors

cb

Unread 06/12/2006, 03:50 PM   #62
Registered Member

Danano your tank is simply the best
Where could I shop online to get the ATI bulbs and reflectors? Thanks

10810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2006, 10:07 PM   #63
bensonwu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 10810
Danano your tank is simply the best
Where could I shop online to get the ATI bulbs and reflectors? Thanks
To buy ATI reflector or bulbs, you can refer to this web site (English web site avaiable,just click the British banner)

bensonwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2006, 12:33 AM   #64
Registered Member

Thanks bensonwu, been looking for a place to get them for quite a while now.
Out of curiosity, Danano is this the same place you ordered your bulbs from? I know you got them originally from one of your LFS’s but I seam to remember you mentioning that you might have to order online now as they weren’t going to stock them any more.

Unread 06/13/2006, 02:00 AM   #65
7thheaven
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bensonwu
To buy ATI reflector or bulbs, you can refer to this web site (English web site avaiable,just click the British banner)
ATI pendant is just 50hz.
I heard from ATI 60hz is not available now.

HTH

7thheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2006, 03:46 AM   #66
bensonwu
Registered Member

Quote:
Out of curiosity, Danano is this the same place you ordered your bulbs from? I know you got them originally from one of your LFS’s but I seam to remember you mentioning that you might have to order online now as they weren’t going to stock them any more.
Sorry,I am not sure where did Danano get his ATI bulbs but I think he may get them easilier than us since his tank was the show-tank as shown on ATI web site...

I got my ATI bulbs from another Germany on-line shop,but that shop has no ATI B+ on stock now!

For 7thheaven: For reflector and bulbs, I think there is no voltage and frequence problem . But for pendants, I agree it with U !

bensonwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2006, 04:34 PM   #67
zarro
Moved On

nice pics

zarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2006, 05:24 PM   #68
Ti
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zarro
nice pics
Still one of my fav tanks!

Unread 06/13/2006, 06:42 PM   #69
killereef
Registered Member

that's a great tank, wish my tank looks that awesome

killereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2006, 03:39 AM   #70
danano
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jakano
Jakano, sorry for not replying sooner. I haven't been in the forums off late. Busy with family (baby princess), work, getting back in shape (exercise ) and now, the World Cup!

For an LPS tank, I think 8x54w would work nicely, even for a 30" depth. Keep the pendant low, no more that 3 - 4" above the water surface. You can play around with the bulb combination to suit your visual preference.

For your 30" 20L, I'm afraid the 2ft fixture-reflectors do not spill over much beyond the bulb/reflecter ends. Is you are set on a nano sps setup, why not just get a 2ft tank. Or 3ft, then you can go for 8x39w.

Dan

danano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2006, 03:52 AM   #71
danano
Registered Member

Quote:
There was no stock of ATI T5s in 2005 and I kept using my "old" bulbs which were still doing the job for me.

Fortunately, recently, an LFS in Singapore started bringing in the latest ATI bulbs and fixtures/pendants.

danano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2006, 09:39 AM   #72
CeeGee
Registered Member

Are ATI bulbs not the same as the D&D? I was told by greg at reefgeek that D&D had bought out ATI but the bulbs were the same.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon display, 40 gallon breeder sump, RLSS R6i, ATI Powermodule, Apex, Ecotech MP40's
CeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2006, 10:02 AM   #73
Registered Member

I’ve also wondered if they where the same bulb. Can anyone confirm?
The D&D bulbs are called Aqua Blue Plus (white bulb) and Actinic Plus (blue bulb) quite similar names to the ATI’s. They are both manufacture in Germany…Hmmmmm

Unread 06/15/2006, 10:49 AM   #74
dvanacker
DID I SOUNDS SMRT??

From what I've read they are all manufactured from a company called Narva.

Current Tank Info: 200g SPS dominant Mixed Reef
dvanacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2006, 12:35 PM   #75
zoazoa
Moved On

Coooool...

zoazoa is offline   Reply With Quote