Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/21/2018, 12:50 PM   #1
AT_Hiker
Registered Member

I HATE Bubble Algae!!

I’m getting ready to tear down the 2nd tank that I ruined by turning a small bubble algae issue into a HUGE bubble algae issue by trying to remove it. Is there anyway to safely remove bubble algae without creating a bigger problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 75 gal. DT, 20 gal sump using Herbie overflow. Skimmer: SRO XP1000SSS. Return Pump: Eheim 1260. BRS dual reactor for GFO & GAC. Lights: 2 Ecotech XR30W Pro Gen 3, Powerheads: 2 Ecotech MP10s Controller: Neptune Apex Jr. Water: BRS 6 Stage RODI
AT_Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2018, 01:39 PM   #2
dabob79
Registered Member

Pop them while doing a water change, hold the siphon over them as you pop them to suck everything out. Get a small army of emerald crabs to eat them as they pop up, that’s what I did.

Current Tank Info: Marineland 93 gallon rimless cube, Radion LED/T5 Combo, Eshopps sump, Nyos skimmer, Apex controller
dabob79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2018, 02:52 PM   #3
rustyjames
EMT-B

Vibrant has been working pretty well on my ba problem. Might be worth a try before a total teardown.

Current Tank Info: 20 long
rustyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2018, 03:26 PM   #4
davocean
Registered Member

emeralds from somewhere that has them eating valonia already has always worked well for me, reefcleaners dot org has been my go to

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2018, 04:34 PM   #5
top shelf
Registered Member

I get bubble algae here and there, by the sounds of it not as bad as you, and I just knock em loose with a turkey baster and suck em out. I try not to pop them while doing it either. Successful? Idk it keeps popping back up but hasn't gotten outta control as of yet.

What have you been trying to do so far?

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2018, 04:39 PM   #6
AT_Hiker
Registered Member

I try to gently remove them from the rock with a razor, while running a siphon beside it. I always thought i was successful, but within days they started popping up everywhere. The more I try to remove, the worse it gets.

Current Tank Info: 75 gal. DT, 20 gal sump using Herbie overflow. Skimmer: SRO XP1000SSS. Return Pump: Eheim 1260. BRS dual reactor for GFO & GAC. Lights: 2 Ecotech XR30W Pro Gen 3, Powerheads: 2 Ecotech MP10s Controller: Neptune Apex Jr. Water: BRS 6 Stage RODI
AT_Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2018, 05:23 AM   #7
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

Get some 1/4 rigid airline from home Depot and cut it so one side is pointy. Then start a syphon and use the point to dislodge them and then they get sucked down the airline. Takes forever but most of the time you get them whole. For bigger ones get a larger diameter hose

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2018, 06:52 AM   #8
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyjames View Post
Vibrant has been working pretty well on my ba problem. Might be worth a try before a total teardown.
^^^This^^^

I am generally the last person around to suggest something like this, but after months of manual removal/emerald crabs/nutrient control I was at the end of my rope.

I gave in and thought I'd give it a try. At that point I really had nothing to lose anyway. I dosed it at ~2x the suggested amount and noticed within a couple weeks that things were beginning to change for the better. I continued the treatment for about 2 months without making any other changes to the system so that I could accurately judge it's effectiveness. By the end of that time, the bubble algae (and a small spot of HA) had completely disappeared. It was, sadly, replaced by cyanobacteria, but I attribute that to the decay of the BA and the nutrients released because of it. One round of chemiclean and my tank is back to where it belongs.

Now, if I can keep on top of water changes (I tend to get a bit lazy about them) I should be back on track.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2018, 10:39 AM   #9
MuShu
Registered Member

Reefcleaners guarantees that their emeralds eat BA.

MuShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2018, 11:44 AM   #10
steviej1972
Registered Member

Vibrant works brilliant, I tried for months to get shot of it and in the end used vibrant all gone in 4 weeks

steviej1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2018, 03:08 PM   #11
Jaffster
Registered Member

Bubble algae is the devil's work.

For me, getting a foxface whilst also using chemicals to bring the phosphate levels to 0 saw my outbreak of bubble algae completely vanish in about 2 weeks.

Jaffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2018, 07:20 PM   #12
Tripod1404
Registered Member

I just remove them, scrape them and sometimes just dislodge them and they end up in the sump or eventually pumps just pop them. I honestly don care if they pop or not. I do this maybe once a year and it takes a year for their numbers to get high enough to bother me aesthetically. BA is a natural part of reef environments in the wild (that is why nutrient management is hard to kill them as they are adapted to live in reef levels of N and P), so I am not irritated by few here and there.

When a emerald crab or foxface eats them, they pop the BA as well. The only difference is they constantly remove BA, while most people just gets bored of doing it. If you are getting massive growth of these, you have a big nutrient problem.

Last edited by Tripod1404; 07/22/2018 at 07:25 PM.
Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2018, 08:50 PM   #13
mako61
Registered Member

Bubble Algae isa pain

My foxface did a good job, except in places he could not get to. I used Vibrant and rigid airline method to get the ones in cracks etc.

Vibrant did work for me. It didnt work overnight, took a few weeks.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2018, 12:34 AM   #14
BFG
Registered Member

If you can get a juvenile vlamingi tang , it would clear it in a few days . Tried it twice myself in my 4ft 120g tank . Both times , the fish was caught and exchanged with another fish at my lfs . After both outbreak , the bubble algae did not return at all .

Unread 07/23/2018, 11:16 AM   #15
JTL
Registered Member

Quote:
I never had an issue with cyano until I used Vibrant.

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2018, 07:05 AM   #16
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:
Worked for me as well.

Try this first.

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2018, 10:37 AM   #17
IowaReefer
Registered Member

Prolific Bubble algae propagation usually coincides with high nutrient levels. Have you tried reducing feeding and/or increasing water changes?

Current Tank Info: 60 gallon cube mixed reef
IowaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote