Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Premium Aquatics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/02/2010, 01:14 AM   #401
thuynhcl
Registered Member

Hello everyone.....How do I get to join this club?

thuynhcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2010, 05:13 AM   #402
Quetzal
Registered Member

How do you join the club? Buy a BK skimmer

Quetzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2010, 05:46 AM   #403
timvdb
Registered Member

Update on the skimmer noise: it is improving every day and noise levels are very good and low now. Extraordinary product. I am really happy!

Hi toothman - interesting you say that. Did you read this article in AA: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/1/aafeature
It seems that skimmers only skim about 30% of TOC anyways....

timvdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2010, 05:50 AM   #404
timvdb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeftivo View Post
Anyone running a 160mini on a well stocked 50 gallon system or is it just overkill?
Hi - I run a BK160 on a 50UK gallon overstocked zeovit system and it is incredible!!!

timvdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2010, 08:35 AM   #405
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Tim, any photos of your system and the skimmer running?

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2010, 03:03 PM   #406
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timvdb View Post
Hi - I run a BK160 on a 50UK gallon overstocked zeovit system and it is incredible!!!
Thanks timvdb!

Sounds great!

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2010, 05:34 PM   #407
thuynhcl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzal View Post
How do you join the club? Buy a BK skimmer

okay got myself a Bubbleking Deluxe 300 ext. this thing look like a monster. can't wait to test it out. any advice or hints to the start up process?

Unread 02/05/2010, 08:17 AM   #408
Creetin
Limestone Cowboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuynhcl View Post
okay got myself a Bubbleking Deluxe 300 ext. this thing look like a monster. can't wait to test it out. any advice or hints to the start up process?
Start it off slow by having the water level low. Be patient the foam will break down alot when feeding or hands in the tank taking it a long time to recover.
After about 6 weeks it will not do that so bad and recover much quicker.
Get yourself a dwyer air flow meter and check the air flow and you will know when the pump needs a cleaning.

Current Tank Info: 300 gal marineland deep
Creetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2010, 03:36 PM   #409
thuynhcl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creetin View Post
Start it off slow by having the water level low. Be patient the foam will break down alot when feeding or hands in the tank taking it a long time to recover.
After about 6 weeks it will not do that so bad and recover much quicker.
Get yourself a dwyer air flow meter and check the air flow and you will know when the pump needs a cleaning.
thanks Creetin for the advise, I got my skimmer but no manual, is there a site that I can go and download the manual?

Unread 02/05/2010, 04:14 PM   #410
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

This is the internal manual, but it should help...

http://www.royal-exclusiv.de/forum/w...d&threadID=166

Unread 02/05/2010, 04:33 PM   #411
BenjieC
Registered Member

I got a 300 deluxe internal a few weeks ago. It's up and running and doing great. It has the RDII pump and I had a couple questions. Is it more advantageous to run the water level lower and the pump rpm higher or the other way around. Also there are a couple extra holes in the venturi, Top is for air intake, I assume the one off to the side is for O3, but what is the one on the bottom for. The manual didn't mention it. Thanks!!

Nothing Is Impossible To The Person Who Doesn't Have To Do It Themselves.

Current Tank Info: 8g Nano more once moved
BenjieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2010, 08:41 AM   #412
Canadian
Premium Member

I'm also having issues with my BK 160 being quite loud. The rest of my tank is dead silent and I went to great lengths to ensure it is quiet - hence the reason I bought this skimmer based on reviews. I've had my skimmer just under a year and it has been noisy pretty much from day 1. However, this last week it has gotten noisier for no apparent reason. I've taken it apart, cleaned it and reassembled it several times and there doesn't appear to be anything unusual going on and it never gets any quieter. Any suggestions or is my only recourse to send it to Proline Aquatics? And speaking of Proline Aquatics, does anyone know why they're no longer listed in the sponsor forums? Have they chosen to discontinue their sponsorship?

--- "mens sana in corpore sano" ---

Current Tank Info: SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless with Beananimal Overflow | 20 g Sump | Bubble King Mini 160 | Biopellets in TLF Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO | Vortech MP20 | Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser
Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2010, 09:11 PM   #413
Canadian
Premium Member

Quote:
I'm also having issues with my BK 160 being quite loud. The rest of my tank is dead silent and I went to great lengths to ensure it is quiet - hence the reason I bought this skimmer based on reviews. I've had my skimmer just under a year and it has been noisy pretty much from day 1. However, this last week it has gotten noisier for no apparent reason. I've taken it apart, cleaned it and reassembled it several times and there doesn't appear to be anything unusual going on and it never gets any quieter. Any suggestions or is my only recourse to send it to Proline Aquatics? And speaking of Proline Aquatics, does anyone know why they're no longer listed in the sponsor forums? Have they chosen to discontinue their sponsorship?

Current Tank Info: SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless with Beananimal Overflow | 20 g Sump | Bubble King Mini 160 | Biopellets in TLF Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO | Vortech MP20 | Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser
Unread 02/09/2010, 11:21 AM   #414
crab0000
Registered Member

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1780688

crab0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2010, 01:21 PM   #415
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Andrew,

What kind of noise is it? Could you post a picture of your skimmer setting in the sump?

Unread 02/09/2010, 01:42 PM   #416
Canadian
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy B. View Post
Andrew,

What kind of noise is it? Could you post a picture of your skimmer setting in the sump?
Thanks for getting back to me Jeremy. As I said above, this skimmer has made more noise than expected from day 1. I have a feeling the impeller is wonky as I had previously posted in the Proline forum that I've had issues with the skimmer not starting after completely cleaning and properly seating the shaft and pump components. Maybe the impeller/needle wheel is out of balance?

Here's a pic with the magnetic panels taken off the stand. If you need something that shows the skimmer compartment from more of a top-down view let me know. I'll have to take the picture some time this evening when I get home from work. The skimmer is not touching anything in the sump including the walls of the sump. The noise seems to be the pump itself.

Unread 02/13/2010, 07:17 PM   #417
jt48
Registered Member

When shopping around for a skimmer, including BubbleKing, should I follow the manufacturers guidelines for tank size or are they overrated? For example I need a skimmer for a 250 gallon mixed reef. Should I go with the mini 200 rated at 135-265 or the delux 200 rated at 185-400?

jt48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2010, 07:36 PM   #418
asmodeus
SKIMMER WHORE

i have a SM 250 on my 170
get what you get go for the 200 or the 250

the mini's are crap trust me I have had both 180 and the 200

Unread 02/16/2010, 09:06 AM   #419
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt48 View Post
When shopping around for a skimmer, including BubbleKing, should I follow the manufacturers guidelines for tank size or are they overrated? For example I need a skimmer for a 250 gallon mixed reef. Should I go with the mini 200 rated at 135-265 or the delux 200 rated at 185-400?
Either of those skimmers would handle your system just fine. It just depends on how much you want to spend, and how much room you have in your sump. When looking at BK skimmers figure on them being about the only company out there that appropriately rates, or even underrates the capacity of which their skimmers will handle. HTH!

Unread 02/16/2010, 07:51 PM   #420
Canadian
Premium Member

Oh my God! I can't believe I suffered through this noisy-*** skimmer for a year!

I got in touch with Albert of Proline and he ended up sending me a new impeller. He was awesome to deal with and sent the new impeller out really quickly after trying to troubleshoot things over the phone. And this new impeller has the tank dead silent except for the ramping up and down of my Vortech.

All I can say is wow - both for Albert's customer service and how quiet this skimmer is when running properly.

Unread 02/17/2010, 12:15 AM   #421
BenjieC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjieC View Post
I got a 300 deluxe internal a few weeks ago. It's up and running and doing great. It has the RDII pump and I had a couple questions. Is it more advantageous to run the water level lower and the pump rpm higher or the other way around. Also there are a couple extra holes in the venturi, Top is for air intake, I assume the one off to the side is for O3, but what is the one on the bottom for. The manual didn't mention it. Thanks!!
anyone?

Nothing Is Impossible To The Person Who Doesn't Have To Do It Themselves.

Current Tank Info: 8g Nano more once moved
BenjieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2010, 06:45 AM   #422
Creetin
Limestone Cowboy.

Ben, I would run the water at 8.5 to 9 inches and set the pump accordingly. Speeding the pump up would only run more water/air at a quicker pace thru it making it less effective for the stubborn DOC's. Its a good way of removing things quickly like an anemone spawn, But I like to run them slow and steady. JMO
Its really up to you, If you like light colored skimmate and running wet then the faster pump option would probably work best. If you like dark dry skimmate I would keep the pump matched to the reccomended waterlevel for the skimmer and go from there.
I am not familliar with the RDII So I dont know all the specs on how mch air/water it pushes at what speeds. I do know a little about skimmers in general.

Current Tank Info: 300 gal marineland deep
Creetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2010, 08:41 PM   #423
njsurfcaster
Registered Member

Signing up. My BK Mini 160 came in last week. If I closed my eyes and you turned it on I'm not sure I would be able to tell. This is what I call quiet!

Thank you Mojo for doing the BK Mini review!

Joe

njsurfcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2010, 06:34 PM   #424
ONEWAY
Premium Member

Hay is there anyone looking to sell a Bubble King Mini 200 Gen 2? I'm looking for one.

Thanks,
Anthony

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon SPS
ONEWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2010, 04:12 PM   #425
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

I might know of a guy selling a used one. If you're still interested contact me at jeremy@premiumaquatics.com.