Other 26 11.02%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 05/10/2017, 07:10 AM   #3651
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainic View Post
Hi, I'm really interested in adding some wrasses to my tank, a Reefer like you (350 in my case). I see you don't have any cover for the tank. Have you ever had any jump attempt or anything similar?
I know fairy and flasher wrasses are jumpers but I don't know if a bipartitus would jump if given the opportunity.

Thanks in advance

BTW beautiful pictures

Thanks! I'll preface by saying that I am in no way, shape or form a wrasse expert. @evolved is and he recommends a cover for wrasses in his online articles. And I think he is correct if you want to really minimize the chances of carpet surfers, then a cover is a must

I am however taking a calculated risk. I have had a canary wrasse and 2 leopard wrasses in the reefer, along with other fish that can jump, but I haven't had any jumpers yet (fingers crossed). Note that is like saying that I've been smoking 2 packs a day and my lungs are fine! Totally Anecdotal!!!

There are a lot of diy cover options for the reefer, so you can set one up. I am on the fence because I like the top down view when feeding the tank. I also think there are also some variation in the propensity of different wrasse species to jump. While all wrasse can jump, some species are much more prone to take to the air than others. Another factor is tank dynamics and the fish in my tank are mellow; no bullying or chasing. So I am not too concerned about jumping right now, but that may change if I notice any changes in behavior. If you are planing to keep rare or hard to keep species, then definitely get a cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2017, 03:25 PM   #3652
OrionN
Moved on

I also had the Yellow Banana wrasse in the past in open tank and have no problem with them jump out.
I think we need to worry about wrasse that go air-born if chase, and wrasse with spawned behavior that swim straight up in courtship and spawn. These are the wrasse that are at risk for jumping out.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2017, 06:20 AM   #3653
eastlake
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
My tank does not have cover, 320 gal, and I do not have problem with my Meleagris trio. You should not have problem with wrasses that go to the sand if startled because they dive instead of going airborn if chased. Have my three Meleagris for 3+ years. No carpet surfing
I guess mines just a weirdo then

eastlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2017, 06:31 AM   #3654
OrionN
Moved on

Eastlake
Are your wrasses mature? Male and females? Mine are just females. It is possible that during spawn/courtship they may swim up to release eggs and sperms and thus jump out of the tank. Leopard wrasse is one species I have not observe spawning behavior in my tank.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 05/12/2017, 12:20 AM   #3655
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

Quote:
My tank does not have cover, 320 gal, and I do not have problem with my Meleagris trio. You should not have problem with wrasses that go to the sand if startled because they dive instead of going airborn if chased. Have my three Meleagris for 3+ years. No carpet surfing
Sorry, but I disagree 100%!!! Oh my!!! Please have a screen top or window screen top on all of your fish, ESPECIALLY all wrasses including Anampses, Halichoeres, Macropharyngoden, AND ALL wrasses and fish!!!

Wrasses jump!!! And evolve learned everyone from me, lol. Wink

Unread 05/12/2017, 05:25 AM   #3656
OrionN
Moved on

?????
You disagree that my three M. meleagris did not go carpet surfing in the last three years?

You caught me. I don't have carpet in my fish room. However, none of my Meleagris go cement surfing either. Please reassure, I do have cement in my fish room. I can take a picture of the floor if you want to see it.

I just wonder, who's on this thread have a Leopard Wrasse go carpet surfing (without other wrasse or fish chasing him). Fish jump into the overflow box does not count. IMO, fish follow the flow when they look for a way out of a tank. Often this led them to jump into the overflow box. This is not the same as jump out of a tank.

My tanks never have cover. I have lost very few fishes now and then due to carpet surfing. Rarely if ever, this happen out of the blue. I don't keep any wrasse other than my Leopard wrasse trio.

Last edited by OrionN; 05/12/2017 at 05:34 AM.
Unread 05/12/2017, 06:15 AM   #3657
eastlake
Registered Member

I have a male potters and a female meleagris both are at a mature size around 4". The first two times I found her in the overflow the potters wasn't in there yet and there was no visible signs of aggression from any of the other tank mates and I watch quite a bit for that kind of stuff. After I added the potters they were together for 5 or 6 months before the potters started to chase her vigorously and that's what has accounted for her jumping into the overflow these past couple times. She has been in there for about a month now getting fat on the pods that are safe from the rest of my fish with 2-3 supplemental daily feedings, but I digress. I'd be so much happier if the ending up in the overflow was a result of spawning rises.

eastlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2017, 08:43 AM   #3658
tenurepro
Registered Member

@OrionN - I don't think @Ralph_ATL was questioning your observation; obviously, you and we know that your Leopards didn't jump. But just because they haven't jumped till now, doest mean that they will never jump.

So here is a little bit more of my thoughts on this. I don't really think that fish are either jumpers or not jumpers... way too binary. I think of fish have a 'probability' of jumping for any given day; this probability depends on species (some species of fish/wrasse have higher probabilities of jumping than others) and tank environment / scape. We can probably all agree that most fish can in theory jump, so the probability of jumping is almost always not zero.

If the probability of jumping is greater than zero and substantially high. (say 10% a day), then it is inevitable that the fish will jump given enough time, and that a cover is absolutely needed to keep the fish alive in a tank.

Even if the probability of jumping is really low, say, 1% a day... it doesn't mean that the fish will never jump. Given enough time, rare events will occur (think of people winning the lottery, or getting struck by lighting... it happens, but it is rare). When we are dealing with such low probabilities, then it is totally conceivable to see how some reefers can keep the same species in an open top without them ever jumping, while others having them jump a few times... (just like some people win the lottery while most don't; you can't argue that just because you didn't' win the lottery, that nobody wins the lottery; also, you can't argue that if you win the lottery, that every one will win the lottery)...

so it is just a matter of knowing the species you plan on keeping, their propensity for jumping, and how much risk you are willing to take with your fish. Think of a cover as insurance... you buy health insurance and car insurance, but you probably wouldn't want to buy lighting-strike insurance. If you want to guarantee no jumping, then a well fitting / well constructed cover is absolutely necessary. For some species, the probability of jumping can be low enough, that is very conceivable that you can keep them in an open top tank for a long period of time without any incidents... just keep in mind that rare events can and do happen given enough time.

Unread 05/12/2017, 12:03 PM   #3659
OrionN
Moved on

Just to work out the numbers, I have 3 Meleagris Leopard wrasses for 3 years, that is roughly 3000 fish-day (3285 to be exact) and no jumping. If one of my fish jump out today, according to my experience the risk for Meleagris to jump is about .03% per day, not anywhere near 1 percent.

That is if my fish jump out today. I just don't see it happening.

I do not keep other wrasse species, even though they are very beautiful because I do not have a cover on my tank. I am not saying that fish, or wrasses do not jump. They do, but a happy Leopard wrasse is highly unlikely to jump out. This is because the escape rout of a Leopard wrasse is dive for the sand. That is why my Leopard wrasse do not ended up dry out on the cement for the last 3 years.

Unread 05/12/2017, 06:18 PM   #3660
tenurepro
Registered Member

Leopard Wrasse Primer

Quote:
Just to work out the numbers, I have 3 Meleagris Leopard wrasses for 3 years, that is roughly 3000 fish-day (3285 to be exact) and no jumping. If one of my fish jump out today, according to my experience the risk for Meleagris to jump is about .03% per day, not anywhere near 1 percent.

That is if my fish jump out today. I just don't see it happening.

I do not keep other wrasse species, even though they are very beautiful because I do not have a cover on my tank. I am not saying that fish, or wrasses do not jump. They do, but a happy Leopard wrasse is highly unlikely to jump out. This is because the escape rout of a Leopard wrasse is dive for the sand. That is why my Leopard wrasse do not ended up dry out on the cement for the last 3 years.

Actually @OrionN, even with prob of 0.03% of fish jumping per day, it is still pretty dicey to keep this fish long term (5 years). See model below; I wrote a much longer post on this model in the main fish thread so check out the details there. It's based on binomial probabilities. If you look at the fig. The chance of having a 0.03% per day fish not jump for 5 years in an open top tank is about 50%. In other words. Half of the people that attempt to keep this fish in an open top tank will be successful (like you), making you think that they are not jumpers, while the other half of reefers that try to keep this fish for that long will fail, leading them to think that the fish is a jumper. Both view points are valid in light of the model. I don't want to hijack this thread with my model so you and other can chat on my fish jumping thread! Cheers !

Unread 05/12/2017, 07:44 PM   #3661
OrionN
Moved on

tenurepro,
The risk I camE up with is my experience IF MY FISH JUMP OUT TODAY.
Your calculation is meaningless, just as the number you throw out that risk of 1% per day for a fish to jumb out is low.
None of my Leopard wrasse jump out in three years, and they will not jump out becasue of the nature of this particular species.
In order to provide good care for his animals, a reefer must know the species of animals that he keep. I know that my Leopard wrasses will not jump out. I will not add anymore to this topic of Leopard wrasse jump out of tank.

Unread 05/12/2017, 10:01 PM   #3662
Swensos
Registered Member

I don't think anyone should say with certainty a fish "will not jump," because as we all know with fish... poop happens. I myself, have a cover. Rimless, coverless tanks are beautiful, so... do as you please, but know that there is always a risk, no matter how slight.

Swensos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2017, 01:18 PM   #3663
juniorrocketdad
Registered Member

I have a few jumpers so my tank is covered but I have never seen my blue star leopard jump

juniorrocketdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2017, 11:59 AM   #3664
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

If we are talking about just leopards, then they are less likely to jump. I've kept close to 20 over the years and not had one on the carpet yet. My potters always seemed to end up in the overflow though. Regardless of probability, I'd not run a tank without a screen.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2017, 09:26 PM   #3665
Chris_S
Registered Member

Joining thread.

Unread 05/18/2017, 11:38 AM   #3666
Sense of nature
Registered Member

Here's one for the "experts":
I've had a bipartitus for 3 yrs now, all has been fine.
I introduced a potters & there was a little chasing & dominance assertion( bipartitus ) being the dominant one .
Then after 2 days the bipartitus stays hidden in the sand.
Well now it's been almost 30 days & all I can tell is that she is still buried ( I can see her thru the glass under the tank)
Here's the weird part, she is changing locations under the sand w/ out ever coming out of the sand!
Iv'e seen her buried in one spot, watch the tank for an hr or so & then when I look underneath she's in a different spot.
I know for sure she never appeared above the sand .

Current Tank Info: 220 reef
Sense of nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2017, 08:59 AM   #3667
kainic
Registered Member

My M. bipartitus. She's still getting used to the new environment but she is eating (frozen and pellets) and picking the rocks so I hope she'll do ok.
Her tankmates are spotted mandarin, 2x ocellaris, C. strigosus, G. melanospilos, 2x pseudanthias dispar and priolepis nocturna.

Enviado desde mi SM-G900F mediante Tapatalk

"Every man can be, if he tries, sculptor of his own brain", Santiago Ramón y Cajal
kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2017, 07:48 PM   #3668
tsav
Registered Member

Do leopard wrasses need an established tank(full of pods) if they are eating frozen?

I would like to QT a potters leopard wrasse, get it eating frozen, then introduce it to a newly setup tank as the first fish.

Anyone think I will have problems with this??

tsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2017, 12:50 AM   #3669
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsav View Post
Do leopard wrasses need an established tank(full of pods) if they are eating frozen?

I would like to QT a potters leopard wrasse, get it eating frozen, then introduce it to a newly setup tank as the first fish.

Anyone think I will have problems with this??

Yes!
They have such small stomachs and a high metabolism that they gave to feed constantly. Just because they eat frozen 3-4 times a day doesn't mean it is enough. There are many Companies that you can supply both amphipods and copepods regularly, as well as feeding live black worms....

Unread 05/29/2017, 04:36 AM   #3670
OrionN
Moved on

IME, it took them quite a while to eat prep food. All my Leopards, when first capture, they eat exclusively life food.

Unread 05/29/2017, 06:38 AM   #3671
tsav
Registered Member

Thanks for the info. Thats why it is always good to ask before purchasing.

tsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2017, 08:19 AM   #3672
juniorrocketdad
Registered Member

I feed my leopard frozen mysis twice a day and I usually have clams in the half shell in the tank for the fish to graze on, what ever she doesn't get from these food sources she gets from live food

juniorrocketdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2017, 12:33 PM   #3673
vashawn
Registered Member

I really considering getting a female
is it 50/50 chances of attacking my crabs, etc???
and are there any good benefits like eating bristle worm, etc?
thanks

Current Tank Info: 300gal reef
vashawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2017, 09:47 AM   #3674
WLachnit
Registered Member

I had a female bipartitus who was a model citizen. As best as I could tell she only hunted for pods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WLachnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2017, 06:38 AM   #3675
oseymour
Euphyllia Addict

I have 3 leopard wrasses in my 75. The smallest is a male.

I have had other leopard wrasses and other wrasses jump. They all seem to do it in the late evening when the lights are going down. I use moonlights.

I'm have a rimless tank and I was hesitant to put the cover on it but now I'm going to have to.

That's 5 jumpers this year. Leopard wrasse, coris wrasse, 2 red flasher wrasses, flame angel.

Took me too long to learn my lesson

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350
oseymour is offline   Reply With Quote