Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/02/2016, 11:59 AM   #1
ostrow
It's Dr. Goodluck Himself

Best vendor?

Just curious. I only see 1-2" clams for sale at the big places. I haven't bought a clam in years. Are larger ones no longer available?

Current Tank Info: 156G "brick", 150 sump and 75 fuge replaces Fire, Destruction, Sad :(
ostrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2016, 01:46 PM   #2
twon8
Formally registered membe

Dr macs gets some bigger ones in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not building a wall but making a brick

Current Tank Info: 300g DD display, 60g frag tank
twon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2016, 07:40 PM   #3
ostrow

That website/business long gone....unless name changed?

Current Tank Info: 156G "brick", 150 sump and 75 fuge replaces Fire, Destruction, Sad :(
Unread 05/03/2016, 11:50 PM   #4
stevenc1187
Registered Member

http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/

Unread 05/04/2016, 05:17 AM   #5
ostrow

Didn't know that was Dr. Mac. Very different from his old place....

And, zero clams. Very different.

Unread 05/04/2016, 06:14 AM   #6
stevenc1187
Registered Member

I would email them most likely they havent updated They usually have them

Unread 05/04/2016, 10:59 AM   #7
donut0079
Registered Member

Divers den lists a lot of 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 inch. I haven't seen much bigger than that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donut0079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2016, 01:51 PM   #8
Reef Frog
Registered Member

All the stuff I've read says under 3 inch Maximas have a much higher mortality rate than larger adult clams and should be fed phytoplankton. True?

Pacific East has an exclusive source in Australia. So seasonality probably has something to do with availability on their site. He gets some amazing specimens sometimes so you may want to keep an eye on his site.

Reef Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2016, 02:45 PM   #9
ostrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Frog View Post
All the stuff I've read says under 3 inch Maximas have a much higher mortality rate than larger adult clams and should be fed phytoplankton. True?

Pacific East has an exclusive source in Australia. So seasonality probably has something to do with availability on their site. He gets some amazing specimens sometimes so you may want to keep an eye on his site.
That is absolutely my experience.

Unread 05/18/2016, 11:24 AM   #10
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Agreed with ostrow. The smaller clams haven't developed enough zooxanthellae to support themselves on their own and need nutrient intake from filtration.

Gig 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2016, 01:20 AM   #11
mystersyster
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig 'em View Post
Agreed with ostrow. The smaller clams haven't developed enough zooxanthellae to support themselves on their own and need nutrient intake from filtration.
This is absolutely not true, so please stop spreading this around. Unless you don't have fish, feeding is not necessary. Especially if it's phytoplankton...

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/7/inverts

This is a great article referencing scientific studies on Clams. Please read this is you wanna educate yourself on clam feeding requirements.

mystersyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2016, 04:52 AM   #12
ostrow

Yeah Gig had some misinformation. But fact remains that the tinier ones are much, much harder to keep alive in a box.

Unread 04/21/2017, 02:07 PM   #13
theblackapex
Registered Member

I personally like cultivated reef. I've dealt with other coral vendors in the past such as aquarium depot, which I was disappoint with. You buy so much and get free shipping, but the shipping is two days and by the time the prouducts arrive they are so stressed out and water is mostly cold. Took my zoas a while to open up and some still never flourish like they should. I've also order from tidal gardens which has good products but they are priced at full retail. Their order comes in over night and with $250 you get free shipping. Than is very knowledgeable about the products and the products did flourish in the tank, but you get what you pay for. I have nothing bad to say about tidal just the prices are a little steep for my liking when I can go to a place like cultivated reef and find the same item for less money

With cultivated reef I've ordered 3 times, the third actually just arrived today. I've never had a bad experience and every item have opened up and flourished as soon as the acclimation is finished. It's like the coral never misses a beat from their tank to my tank. With their orders I have received wonderful customer service from Holly, which has taken care of my orders each time. She provides fast information, and quality service. If you are looking for a specific item and you do not see it just ask, they may have it and it hasn't made it to the website yet. That's what I've done before and even received offers on other items that haven't been uploaded yet. For especially Zoas, I do not know of a better place to order online. The service and items are top notch, fair prices, teir discounts, reward points. Even receive 20% off the next order after the first order. And most the time you receive more than what was listed on how many polyps to expect.

Wonderful website and company to do business with.

theblackapex is offline   Reply With Quote