Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/26/2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Philip S.
Registered Member

New royal gramma hiding??

Hey RC A couple days ago I picked up a royal gramma, various snails, a scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp and about 20 lbs of liverock from my LFS, and my royal gramma has really not come out of hiding since I added him. Will he start becoming more bold and coming out more within time??

P.S. The only other fish in the tank is a 4 stripe damsel which from what Iv seen hasnt bothered any of the new additions.

thanks

Last edited by Philip S.; 05/26/2012 at 07:54 PM.
Philip S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Prospec1
Registered Member

I have had mine for 18 months, and it only comes out every once in a while.

Prospec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2012, 12:01 AM   #3
aleonn
Registered Member

When I had one, he usually stayed near his cave within a rock. Only came out during feeding times.

aleonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2012, 12:45 AM   #4
CRW Reefer
Registered Member

It took 3 weeks before I saw mine after I first put him in. Then it was a few months after that before I saw him on a daily basis. Unless picked on by another tank mate, it will come around I'm sure

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh600/chadrw79/corals/IMG_20140224_162702.jpg

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef 500w 14k MH, 220w Super Actinic VHO and 24w Ecoxotic LED
CRW Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2012, 04:03 AM   #5
Announce
Registered Member

Congrats on your purchase, these are one of my favorite fish. I currently have a pair and the male is about 4", a beautiful fish. I find it all depends on the individual animal, however I have seen many Royal Grammas that are quite bold, always looking for food, and others that barely leave their home.

hth

Announce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2012, 02:57 PM   #6
ridetolive
Registered Member

I've read that a lot of royal grammas stick close to their home in the rocks but mine is completely the opposite. He's always out swimming around and usually stalking other fish in the tank. He never messes with them but he likes to keep an eye on what their doing it seems. I think it's because he was the first fish i added to the tank, so he thinks he runs it now and all the other fish are peaceful so he isn't afraid to come out. It did take mine a couple weeks to really start exploring the tank when I first put him in though so just give him time and he should come around as long as the damsel leaves him alone.

ridetolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2012, 04:46 PM   #7
scoupland
Registered Member

I've see lots of them in ocean while diving in the Caribbean. They tend to stay in or near their nook in the rock. I had one and it spent about 2/3 of the light period swimming around.

scoupland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2012, 05:13 PM   #8
scar79
Registered Member

They tend to be extremely shy and won't hesitate to bolt back to safety. They're usually seen just hovering outside of their spot or dipping in and out of rock work. That said, they're a gorgeous fish and their shyness makes it a bit more of a treat to see them!

scar79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2012, 04:14 PM   #9
mbd521
Registered Member

is the royal garamma inverted friendly? I think they are a beautiful fish, but I definately don't want a 20$ shrimp turning into a meal.

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

mbd521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2012, 05:33 PM   #10
aleonn
Registered Member

The royal gramma is considered to be invert friendly (and reef safe).

aleonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2012, 05:39 PM   #11
sarahlovesfish
Registered Member

It is very normal, mine is still a little shy, but it took maybe little less than a month for it to come out.

sarahlovesfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2012, 05:50 PM   #12
Mules1
Registered Member

Mine is not shy at all - first to wake and last to sleep - always out in the open. And EVERYTIME I put my hand in the tank he takes a "whack" at me although he doesn't bother anything in the tank - he just hates me.

Mules1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2012, 07:20 PM   #13
mbd521
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleonn
The royal gramma is considered to be invert friendly (and reef safe).

thanks... and sorry for hijacking the thread.

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

mbd521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2012, 07:50 PM   #14
rhdoug
Registered Member

Royal grammas are great fish, but can and will kill and eat small shrimp. I had a large one that eventually killed a good sized banded coral shrimp as well. He would wait until the shrimp molted and take it apart a piece at a time. After a few months the shrimp couldn't re-generate anymore!

Current Tank Info: 58 Gallon mixed reef running since 1999, Super Reef Octopus Skimmer, 180w Maxpect Razor LED Light, August 2015 TOTM
rhdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2012, 05:49 PM   #15
nogascans
Registered Member

Hiding Gramma

I also just purchased a royal gramma. I took my time with acclimation and it was docile in acclimation tank. Since introduction to tank, he has bolted for live rock, and keeps going head first into holes. Right now I can see his tail hanging out of live rock hole. Is this considered normal behavior?

Salinity 1.025
pH. 8.1
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrite. 0.0
Nitrate. 5. ppm
David

nogascans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2012, 06:56 PM   #16
rhdoug
Registered Member

Yes mine hide like that more than they swim around. They actually were out more when they were newly introduced, now I rarely see them. Not even sure if I have 1 or 2 left of the original 3. They have several holes around the tank that they like, and even excavated some of their own.

Current Tank Info: 58 Gallon mixed reef running since 1999, Super Reef Octopus Skimmer, 180w Maxpect Razor LED Light, August 2015 TOTM
rhdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2012, 09:43 PM   #17
coreenm
Registered Member

I'd say it took about 4-6 weeks before mine decided to come out of hiding. He still doesn't come out a ton, but I can see him here and there throughout the day.

coreenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2012, 05:01 AM   #18
ravi197699
Registered Member

its very shy fish and when it comes to find out other inhabitants and their behavior she will come out just give it a little time to be comfortable in her new house

ravi197699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2012, 08:19 AM   #19
vaporized
Registered Member

This is typical behavior. Mine do that too. They always stick by their cave and only come out to feed and graze. I will see them race out and then right back to their cave. However, mine have never eaten shrimp or other inverts.

vaporized is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2012, 10:25 AM   #20
mc-cro
(macro)

I have had my royal gramma for about 10yrs. He often hides out in the shadows, and he does have a favorite hole in the rock that he dives into all the time. so, I would guess its perfectly normal.

mine has never had a problem with anything, other than occasionally defending his territory

Current Tank Info: 60x26x24 AGE 3 sided starphire
mc-cro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2015, 09:46 AM   #21
mapgirl4army
Registered Member

I'm so glad to have run across this thread. Our gramma has hid since joining our aquarium. We had even gone as far as checking the floor behind our tank to see if it jumped out! We've never seen him since we bought him. Perhaps in time we will be graced with his beauty.

"Because the oceans are essential to life on Earth."

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 250, live rock, 2 percula clownfish, 2 skunk cleaner shrimp, zoanthids, bird's nest coral, yellow leather coral, duncan coral, plate corals, frog spawn coral, halloween urchin
mapgirl4army is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 09:27 AM   #22
dipen6580
Registered Member

Hey folks,

I'm new to RF and hoping this is posting in the right place.
Have an odd one here. Bought a royal gramma 3 weeks ago. He was doing fine.. swimming around, hiding now and then, and eating with no issues. 4 days ago he found a couple spots in the live rock where he shifts around but doesn't eat and won't move from those areas. Sometimes we see him lying there there with no movement. Color is good and doesn't seem as if his body is damaged. I know they can be shy but has anyone seen this pattern before?? Just finding it odd that he stopped eating all together.

Tank is 29 gallon with 45-60 lbs LR. Water readings on bio are zeros across. 8-9 on dkH and 490-510 on calcium. Moderately stocked with fish and inverts.

dipen6580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 04:58 PM   #23
scottmccray
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen6580 View Post
Hey folks,

I'm new to RF and hoping this is posting in the right place.
Have an odd one here. Bought a royal gramma 3 weeks ago. He was doing fine.. swimming around, hiding now and then, and eating with no issues. 4 days ago he found a couple spots in the live rock where he shifts around but doesn't eat and won't move from those areas. Sometimes we see him lying there there with no movement. Color is good and doesn't seem as if his body is damaged. I know they can be shy but has anyone seen this pattern before?? Just finding it odd that he stopped eating all together.

Tank is 29 gallon with 45-60 lbs LR. Water readings on bio are zeros across. 8-9 on dkH and 490-510 on calcium. Moderately stocked with fish and inverts.
Royal Gamma in general are shy fish and tend to stay hidden or out of the way. They will stay under rock overhangs and near shelter. Very pretty fish but not active ones. I wouldn't worry about him not eating. He probably is when the lights are out.

scottmccray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 03:17 PM   #24
vangoghfish
Registered Member

royal gramma an inverts/shrimp

One person mentioned they are invert friendly, and one said they would eat shrimp, i have 3 very large peppermint shrimp the gramma in in QT tank for probably a few more weeks before DT, will it eat my shrimp? Additionally I was going to add a cleaner or fire shrimp.

vangoghfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 06:30 PM   #25
m0nkie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vangoghfish View Post
One person mentioned they are invert friendly, and one said they would eat shrimp, i have 3 very large peppermint shrimp the gramma in in QT tank for probably a few more weeks before DT, will it eat my shrimp? Additionally I was going to add a cleaner or fire shrimp.
you are fine. I have never seen my RG eat shrimps. in fact most shrimps outgrow the RG.

I had 9 in my large tank. They like to hang around under the rocks in the shade. They come out for food and then go back. It may take a few months for them to come out. very shy fish.