Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/14/2018, 12:51 PM   #1
niveknow
Registered Member

Anemone? ID pls

I have a few of these, but not sure what they are. Can't tell if it's a rock anemone or majanos or something else.

There's one that I can touch and it'll completely pull itself into a hole in the rock to hide. They're purple center with green tips. ID please??

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0449.jpg (101.0 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0450.jpg (51.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0451.jpg (53.4 KB, 56 views)
niveknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2018, 01:45 PM   #2
OrionN
Moved on

They are a pest anemone "tulip anemone". slower growing but nothing that is reef safe will eat them. If you wan to keep them, make sure the rock that they are on is isolated from the rest of the rock structure.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2018, 01:46 PM   #3
zooman72
Registered Member

If I had to guess, I would go with "majano" anemones, possibly "tulip" anemones, but definitely not rock/ flower anemones...

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
zooman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2018, 06:20 PM   #4
SRQreef3r
Registered Member

have a couple in my tank, mine haven't spread much at all

SRQreef3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 08:14 AM   #5
niveknow
Registered Member

hmm

Interesting. Not so inclined to keep and raise these, but would be okay with them if they are slow and do not cause a big problem like say aiptasia. Interesting comment on keeping them on isolated rocks: they seem to burrow/dig holes in rocks or at least widen the holes so they can hide if needed, but haven't seen them move much. All my rock work is essentially connected somehow. Any recommendations on how to kill if natural predators don't exist? KALK paste? =)

Unread 01/15/2018, 10:22 AM   #6
humphreyhh
Registered Member

I think they might be Majano. But I saw some in lfs sometimes they don’t spread that much. But keep an eye on them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 11:46 AM   #7
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
They are a pest anemone "tulip anemone". slower growing but nothing that is reef safe will eat them. If you wan to keep them, make sure the rock that they are on is isolated from the rest of the rock structure.
I agree with Minh, keep them isolated from your main rock structure, they can and will spread and sting/smother nearby corals.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 11:15 AM   #8
niveknow
Registered Member

Thanks

Thanks everyone. I had one maybe a year ago and now 3-4. So they're def not pervasive and taking over the tank, but I think I will try a kalk paste injection to see if I can kill them at least on the big rock. Figure I'll kill what I can see and assume there is at least one somewhere on the back that I haven't seen.