Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/24/2002, 09:44 PM   #101
taekim78
Registered Member

these bugs are F@#$ up my Pink Pocillopora damicornis and the green Pocillopora damicornis!!!!! i noticed the bug about three days ago (could have been there longer) these where given to me by my friend as a small frag less then a inch and have grown considerably in the past three months but now this!!! man what should i do? the Pink Pocillopora damicornis is not extending its ployp and it just looks stressed and shows bit of tissue resscession and the green Pocillopora damicornis is loosing its flesh.... what should i do? water parm are nitrate 0, ph 8.0~8.1, alk 13.1, calc 440, temp 80~81. thanks for the help

tae

taekim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2002, 10:25 PM   #102
MrSandman
Team RC Member

Hmm..if these are truly on a pocillipora, then i'd have to admit that that is news to me. I have a pocillipora and i never saw the red pugs on these guys at all. I only saw them on certain species of acropora, and that's all.

Current Tank Info: 112G 36"x36"x20" Lee-mar rimless. Build Thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2293182.
MrSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2002, 10:45 PM   #103
ScavDog
Registered Member

taekim78,
Do you have any pics? I too would be suprised to see them on a pocillipora.

Support MASNA

MACNA 2011 Des Moines , Iowa!
Register Now!!
"insert URL here"

Current Tank Info: Which one?
ScavDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2002, 07:37 AM   #104
DaveP
Registered Member

I would have to assume there are different "kinds" of these red bugs. Try sending them to Dr Ron to get an ID.

DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2002, 09:07 AM   #105
SawCJack00
Professional Mind Reader

I also have Pocillopora, and when I had the bugs, the where never on it. I would guess that those are not what I had. Did you look at the pics posted earlier in this thread? Those are exactly what I had.

My build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2670607

Don't forget your towel!

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
SawCJack00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2002, 03:58 PM   #106
nk57
Registered Member

OMG... I have noticed that my SPS are looking un healthy so after careful inspection I see that I have the red cooties as well. I have turned up the flow , and am going to go the goby route and see what happens. After searching the forum, I see quite a few of us have cooties.

Nancy

Current Tank Info: minibow7 mixed reef
nk57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2002, 05:24 PM   #107
coralite
registered member

When researching the genus that my bugs were keyed to, I only ran into 2 described species inhabiting scleractinia, Tegastes georgei, described from the Red Sea, inhabits pocillopora and stylophora and T. acrophoranus was found on acropora florida at enewetak atoll. I am certain these guys occur in all the oceans but I doubt acro bugs becam poci bugs. Pocillopora has polyps that obscure the colony most of the time and parasites would be harder to see on them.

Word of warning!!!
Stay away from the black clown gobies, mine are feeding pretty well on a variety of pocilloporas though they seemed to have set back the pod infestation on the acros as well.

coralite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2002, 04:47 PM   #108
David Grigor
Registered Member

Aqaufresh,

I finding that out the hard way.....

I bought two yellow clown gobies and one darker one. At first I was thinking that the darker one was eating the bugs because it was pecking at the coral. Every one of the corals I have seen it peck on have died. I was thinking it was more than a coincedence but you just helped confirm......

Luckily I am going to be moving into a new tank soon, so I should be able to catch it. Just hope no more casualties in the meantime....

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef show tank
David Grigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2002, 05:21 PM   #109
kevinpo
Premium Member

I also bought 2 yellow clown gobies. I don't have any bugs but they were cheap and I thought maybe it would be a preventative measure. I have seen both of them nip at the extended polyps of my SPS. The whole colony retracts for a couple of seconds. It's been about 3 weeks and I haven't seen any damage to the corals yet. They divide their time amongst 2-3 SPS heads. One lives at one end of the tank and the other at the other end. I guess they don't get along? I hope I don't end up having to remove them.

Regards,
Kevin

Current Tank Info: 600 reef (set up June 2001), with 125 gal refugium and 100 gal sump.
kevinpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2002, 08:12 PM   #110
nk57
Registered Member

I just purchased to cheap clown gobies as well. I hope they do the trick. This is all just too weird for me.. lets make sure we all keep each other posted to see which methods work and which don't.

nancy

Current Tank Info: minibow7 mixed reef
nk57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2002, 09:13 AM   #111
David Grigor
Registered Member

Kevin, I haven't had any issues with the yellow ones. Just the darker one. IMO: The yellow ones have been a great additition and really like their behavior. Mine mostly stay apart but you will see them in the same coral together on occasions.....

Unread 06/07/2002, 10:20 AM   #112
kevinpo
Premium Member

Current Tank Info: 600 reef (set up June 2001), with 125 gal refugium and 100 gal sump.
Unread 06/07/2002, 10:20 AM   #113
kevinpo
Premium Member

David,
Do the yellow ones you have nip the SPS polyps and do they eat food you feed the other fish?

Kevin

Unread 06/07/2002, 03:40 PM   #114
David Grigor
Registered Member

Just seen them perch.

Readily eat frozen brine when it floats in close proximity.......

Unread 06/12/2002, 10:06 AM   #115
G-money
Premium Member

I got a yellow one about a month ago.

Since that time, I can't find any red bugs on the previously infected specimens.
My Acropora polyps also no longer expand during the day (I am assuming because they are being irritated by the goby). Mr. Goby has served his purpose and will be moving on. I can think of no other reason that the polyps would stop opening...

Mine also eats no prepared food - I think these guys are pretty hit or miss.

Current Tank Info: 120 reef, 75 plant
G-money is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2002, 02:07 PM   #116
OrionN
Moved on

I got yellow clown goby pair. I do not see them eat any of the red bugs, but they nested in one of my Acropora and spawned. Their nesting and spawn activity kill a small part of the Acropora colony. So far, the dead area have not spreaded. They laid a patch of eggs there evry 5-6 days.
If you are going to keep these goby, you should consider keeping them singly, not in pair. They are very easy to spawn, when they do, you can be sure that a patch of your Acropora will get pick clean. Other reefer have reported Acropora goes RTN wiht these goby.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2002, 04:41 PM   #117
shawnz28
Registered Member

Well I just thought I would throw in my two cents. I bought two of the yellow gobies a few weeks ago and for what I can tell they have not made much of a dent in the bug population. FWIW I also have a citron and a neon goby too.

Shawn

Current Tank Info: 93g cube
shawnz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2002, 10:45 AM   #118
David Grigor
Registered Member

I am at a crossroads and looking for advice.

I am moving from 190g to 322g tank during the July 4th holidays.
Next to the 322g tank will be 2 40g breeders stacked with bottom the refugium and the top propagation/quarantine bare bottom tank.

I would like to plumb the 40gs to the 322g ( with ball valves on the plumbing so 40g system can be a seperated entity in a quarantine situration ).

The initial plan is to quarantine all of my bug infested SPS and not move them into the new tank.

Do you think if they were plumbed together with filter floss between the two would prevent the bugs from getting into the sump and into the show tank ? Or should I keep the system totally closed until the corals either perish or eventually get better ? I have about 15 corals that either for sure have the bugs or are highly suspect.

I would like to plumb together for obvious maintenace issues like share the skimmer and CA reactor but my gut says the bugs may just reappear in the show and all for not.

Any Ideas/suggestions ?

Unread 07/02/2002, 10:49 AM   #119
shawnz28
Registered Member

Are you moving other items and rock from the 190 to the new system also?

Shawn

Unread 07/02/2002, 10:55 AM   #120
David Grigor
Registered Member

Yes.

The 322g goes in the same place as the 190 ( in-wall / fish room behind it ) so I must tear it down to upgrade.

Unread 07/02/2002, 11:34 AM   #121
shawnz28
Registered Member

Just my thoughts were if you were moving "noninfected' rock, corals and water from the old to the new there may still be a chance of them egtting in there. I would still think that there will be some in other areas than the few more heavily infected corals. And if any of them make it in there and the corals are a little stressed from the move that may give them a chance to infect those as well.

It is one of my concerns as well because there is a small chance I may move so the tank will go too. But I really don't want to do it because seemingly "fingers crossed" my bug population has seemed to have decreased other than one acro lopries? that is very heavily infected.

Shawn

Unread 07/02/2002, 12:00 PM   #122
David Grigor
Registered Member

I realize there is no guarantee but feel like I have to try something to minimize. Especially since tearing it down anyway.

Unread 07/02/2002, 12:20 PM   #123
shawnz28
Registered Member

Very understandible, hope it works. Maybe if I move mine I can get that friggin mantis out!

Shawn

Unread 07/02/2002, 03:55 PM   #124
coralite
registered member

I am confident you can get away w/ all the rock and inverts and corals in the main tank and as long as there are no acroporas in the main system, the bugs will have no host to survive on. For true quarantine, I wouldn't even have a Qtank close to the main tank and even use different maintenance equipment for it, this is to avoid contamination of any kind, not just bugs. How do you plan to "rid" your acros of the copepods?

coralite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2002, 01:40 PM   #125
JasonD
Registered Member

Ultra Life Red Slime Remover removed Red bugs

I don't know if this is a coincidence or not. But I was having a problem with Red Slime in my SPS 120 gallon tank. So I took the plunge and purchased Ultra Life's red slime remover. Well it kind of created a red tide in my tank with the massive die off of red slime. Stressed my corals for a couple of days. When it was all over I happened to notice that there were no more red bugs on my Acropora Microthalma. I had several frags that were totally infested with the little buggers.

I'm not sure if this is just a natural cycle for the little buggers and they'll be back. Or if somehow the Red Slime remover enabled the corals to over power the tiny mites.

It didn't seem to hurt my micro fauna, in fact it increased it in my algae scrubber.

So I don't know, for some reason the dreaded red bugs are gone, coincidentally or not it seemed to happen after I treated my tank with the red slime/bug remover

Maybe the chemistry in the tank during the red slime remover was not hospitable to the bugs. I've looked really close with a magnifying glass and do not see and bug action.

I don't know if this treatment would work if you didn't have red slime. I can say that the product definately removes red slime pronto. But you have to be prepared to handle the die off as it can quickly overload your system.

I'll keep you posted as to whether the bugs return or not.

Jason

JasonD is offline   Reply With Quote